Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long break from shooting - need advice

I shot at least once a month for about 6 years. Had a couple kids and took a break from shooting. It’s been about 3 years since I’ve shot a match. 

I am now looking to get back into USPSA and shoot a few matches this spring/ summer. I will be starting with local matches.

any tips/tricks or good advice on making a smooth comeback tour?! I assume dry fire is going to be my starting point. 

thanks in advance. 

12 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Don't forget to practice the safety stuff that used to be ingrained habit, reloads moving to weak side, general 180 awareness, etc. 

great info! Thanks for that! Might need to watch a rule refresher course on YouTube lol

5 hours ago, beastmode_05 said:

go with a mindset of having fun and don't focus on trying to be where you were when you left. it's easy to fall in that trap and be frustrated.

That is a good plan. Didn’t cross my mind yet. Main goal will be to just finish the match, have fun and not DQ!

I think you'll find its like riding a bike; I would shoot lim optics, carry optics or PCC to get you back in the rhythm. Those divisions allow for lots of rounds in the mag so you aren't going through lots of reloads.  Aside from the previously mentioned safety DQ guidance, I would go in with a 5 to 1, alpha to non-alpha ratio.  This is obviously higher than what you'll find looking at the score cards of top competitors.  The logic is, mentally set a goal for hits so you're not getting frustrated or wrapped around the axel with running around the stage or having some crazy stage plan.  You can ramp it up dynamically after a couple stages if you feel comfortable.  Walking away from the first few matches with botched reloads and mikes will make for a tough mental ramp up back to the sport.

Focus on having fun.  Also consider jumping into CO or LO if you can, nearly all the competition is there.  Things have changed a lot in the last several years.

I'm back after a long lay off.  I found CO to be very fun.  Still working back up to speed.  Shooting plenty of points, just standing around admiring my work to much. 🤣  I've found Ben Steiger's stuff on YouTube to be helpful with shooting the dot. 

Have Fun!

I am usually an ON or OFF kind of guy.
I am thinking about trying to "take a break" from competing in any capacity and just shoot for fun by myself in the fields. I fear if I don't I will get more tired of the little pressures and sell it all and quit all together..

On 4/4/2024 at 3:31 PM, MoNsTeR said:

I came back after 9 years away. It was like riding a bike. People are using different gear but the game is the same.

That’s good to hear!

• 2 weeks later...