Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Future of Major Scoring

The Future of Major Scoring  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do we keep major scoring?

• Yes, leave everything as is.
    • No, minor is the way.
    • Maybe...Not sure how it would affect divisions and participation.
    • Other.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@RJH

With all respect ... My reading of your previous post(s) gives me the impression you neither see nor appreciate the concomitant skills of being in an awkward position at the start, the need to retrieve a firearm - which may very well (by law) be unloaded, load it and engage someone breaking down the door to your bedroom in an expeditious matter.  These are skill sets endemic to the art of Practical shooting.

My reading of your post(s) imparts to me that we should be shooting nothing but full-tilt run-and-gun 32-round stages.  (Perhaps I exaggerate slightly.  If so, please forgive me.)  While I enjoy these, there is limited ground, if any, to call these “Practical.”  These are fantasy, pure and simple.  Fantasy can be fun, but I submit the ability to respond quickly and decisively to a more “normal” threat level (say 3-5 targets) is far more realistic and, in my experience, far more difficult to so do with a winning HF.  There’s simply NO time to correct a bobbled load or to hesitate on a target.  Generally speaking, there’s some time you can make up in a longer course by being able to, for example, out run your competition over 50 yards.  (I speak from experience … I used to be younger and I used to do that!)  Nevertheless, that doesn’t make the course defensive OR practical.  Can it be fun.  Sure.  But we also need some courses in there that test other skills too.  (I include SHO and WHO in this category, to a reasonable extent.)

Let’s not through out the baby with the bath water!

2 hours ago, barry said:

Uspsa has never been a pure shooting contest. Has always  had problem solving as a large part of it. Either physical or mental problem solving.

correct.this is one of. the main attractions for me over other shooting sports. if some people hate that, they can do steel challenge or some other standstill sport.

16 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

@RJH

With all respect ... My reading of your previous post(s) gives me the impression you neither see nor appreciate the concomitant skills of being in an awkward position at the start, the need to retrieve a firearm - which may very well (by law) be unloaded, load it and engage someone breaking down the door to your bedroom in an expeditious matter.  These are skill sets endemic to the art of Practical shooting.

My reading of your post(s) imparts to me that we should be shooting nothing but full-tilt run-and-gun 32-round stages.  (Perhaps I exaggerate slightly.  If so, please forgive me.)  While I enjoy these, there is limited ground, if any, to call these “Practical.”  These are fantasy, pure and simple.  Fantasy can be fun, but I submit the ability to respond quickly and decisively to a more “normal” threat level (say 3-5 targets) is far more realistic and, in my experience, far more difficult to so do with a winning HF.  There’s simply NO time to correct a bobbled load or to hesitate on a target.  Generally speaking, there’s some time you can make up in a longer course by being able to, for example, out run your competition over 50 yards.  (I speak from experience … I used to be younger and I used to do that!)  Nevertheless, that doesn’t make the course defensive OR practical.  Can it be fun.  Sure.  But we also need some courses in there that test other skills too.  (I include SHO and WHO in this category, to a reasonable extent.)

Let’s not through out the baby with the bath water!

First off, concomitant, good word. I'm fairly well read and I don't believe I've ever come across that before. So if I've learned nothing else today I have learned what concomitant means. 

I don't have any issues having a bedtime unloaded start. My post on that subject was actually kind of tongue in cheek. I just find it humorous how some people are fine with one kind of physical activity but not another, and want to justify what they like and condemn whatever they disagree with. 

"Realistic" doesn't really matter, gun handling skills is what matters. For "realistic," IDPA may be a little bit closer, but IDK on that

So yes, we should have some bedtime unloaded starts, we should also have some sprints intermingled as well, we should have low ports, we should have Cooper tunnels, and we should have prone, along with whatever other physical challenges I'm not thinking of. No, they shouldn't be on every stage but, they should happen occasionally.

6 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Humm so its looking like I wont be able to fund my retirement from the 3,  22 round 40 cal 140mm mags I have

If you have some of those voodoo applied 22 round 40 mags you should just get an optic and shoot that thing in limited optics, assuming it's a 2011 or some other Sao gun

@RJH 

Didn't really stop to think about words ... That one just rolled out 'cause it fit what I was trying to say!  Seems I owe you a bit of an apology.  Reading what you just posted I think we're more on the same page than I originally thought.  To everything you said, the most pertinent is probably "No, they shouldn't be on every stage but, they should happen occasionally."  So true of so many things!

👍

@Joe4d

Glad I made you feel better!

35 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

thanks,, we should all meet at a hooters after a match.. we would all get along..

Now what might be concomitant with a Hooters meeting???