Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is that "A-Grip" stuff any good?

TDean

I got one sitting here in front of me......

I'm curious as to if it'll start smelling 'er sumpting after a couple months ?  

It's a cool color though, a leathery sky-blue color.

With my Silver slide it might look good.

I put a black one on my Glock 35, and was pleasantly surprised.... it really is a good gripping surface.... no more Pro Grip needed (at least with this gun).

I'm a little concerned with longevity/effects as well, mines only a month old, but seems to be holding up...  as an IPSC shooter, we put alot of wear on a gun compared to the "Tactical" guys who seem to recommend these Agrips so highly.

By the way, I did not cover my mag release as the directions suggest.... just don't like the idea of it. I'm sure it has merits, but it just doesn't do it for me -

Try it, you'll like it. You can always peel it off later -

(but make sure the gun is CLEAN before installing)

A-Grip gets my vote as "the" best grip enhancement available.  I have it on both my production division Glock 34 and my Lim-10 35.  On a carry gun, it's almost nirvana.  At the limited nationals last year, as some of you know, it rained cats and dogs.  This was my first experience with A-grip in the rain and I was surprised at the purchase it provided even when soaking wet.  The downside....in a high use environment, dry firing, etc., there definitely is a life span.  Even with the recommended brushing, I go through one every four or five months.  After a period of time, in certain areas, the A-Grip surface will get as slick as the glock finish itself.  I just look at it like a recoil spring or anything else that has to be periodically replaced.   If installed correctly, it always stays in place, yet peels off easily months (and probably years) later.  I cover the mag release button, but do cut away the A-Grip from the mag release push through area on the back side so as not to hinder depression or travel of the release.  I've tried skateboard tape, decal grip, hogue grips, no grips, and even bicycle tubes (you might be surprised how well some of those work).  A-Grip is the best.  And no, this is not a "sponsored" endorsement.   I pay retail for my A-Grip just like everybody else.  I just call'em like I see'em.

TDean-

I experimented with covering my mag release with some cork/rubber sheeting.  It worked just dandy.  You just have to cut slits around the button to allow it to move freely.  I'm going to try the experiment again with something more durable.  

You might want to give it a shot.  If nothing else, it "dehorns" the mag relase so you don't chew all the skin off your thumb while practicing mag changes.  :)

E

Mark, I don't think Brooks sells direct, so you'll have to go through a distributor.  The best price I've found is at bestdefense.com.

TDean, the slide release is still accessible as the A-Grip goes under it.  I usually trim the A-Grip out from around the slide release lever area anyway.

Brooks (that's his name) will sell direct, that's how I got mine.  I was looking at "customizing" my Glock's grip. I wanted a colored grip, not black.  He does have different colors, blue, denim, red, purple....but the cost is more.

Thanks for correcting me.  I didn't know he sold direct.  What's Brook's price?  I think about $19.95 is the best price I've seen from distributors.  I would much rather go straight to the source when possible,  especially if the price is better.  

Chris, I think I paid 25ish for the colored stuff.  Not sure if there's a price break direct.

I'm liking the a-grip now.  It's the difference of grabbing a plastic or a leather steering wheel. :)

It inspires confidence, and we know what that does.....

• 5 months later...

A-Grip gets my vote as "the" best grip enhancement available.

Guys... gals... try your Agrip's with the mag release COVERED.... it works WAY better!  Also, by leaving the mag release covered on the "off side", if the gun ever does the infamous KBOOOM! the Agrip will keep the broken mag release button end from nailing your finger... and possibly even dislocating your finger... (yes it HAS happened... i have pictures and testimony...).  The Agrip also helps contain the blast and direct it downward where it is best to go.  If you need to change out the mag release button for different shooting classes, just peel down the Agrip from the top, change out the mag release button, then stick it back down and rub hard, then let the Adhesive "set" for a little bit.  Just make sure everything stays really clean.  If you need any more "extra adhesive", just let us know and we will ship you some out ASAP, no charge.  Also, remember that each Agrip kit comes complete with a little extra-adhesive... just in case.

Btw, Agrip IS LEGAL for "Stock Glock" GSSF competition and it's even printed in the GSSF rules and regs.

• 4 years later...
Can someone provide an update on this grip? Is it still recommended? How does it compare to regular grip tape?

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I used to use A-Grip until giving Tru-Grip a try. There is no other grip tape style product out there that even comes close to the preformance of Tru-Grip. Eric (it's maker) is listed in the dealers section of the forums. If you haven't yet, give them a try...I guarentee you'll be happy :)

Tru-Grip Linky...

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Ditto. I used AGrip until I tried Eric's Tru Grip a few years ago, and have not used AGrip since. In fact, a grip does not feel "right" to me now if it does not have Tru Grip. It is superior in every way to AGrip.

Cheers,

-br

Gee....a post with some age on it. Seems funny to see my comments about AGrip obviously prior to the opening of my business. Guess I can interject now that I do in fact carry the product. It is still an anchor of my grip enhancement offerings, joined by Eric's TruGrip.