Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plated crimping

gunner40sw

So I picked up a box of X-treme 

9mm 147gr HP. First time trying plated bullets

so using a separate die to seat and a separate die to taper crimp what do I have to do differently than using a jacketed hollow point bullet.

also I will be using VV N320 powder so any load recipes would help

oal

gr

In all of 3 hours on a weekday morning?  It ain't like the old days.

Seat and crimp as usual is the way I do it.  Lots of people get wrapped around the axle on "breaking the plating" or whatnot, but IME it's much less of a thing than made out to be. 

It is no different for me.  

I can get you a recipe later today.  

OAL should depend on mags used and how the bullet interfaces with the feed ramp.  When asking for info details would help.  For what gun?

I am shooting a STI edge. All of my mags are old STI mags gen 1 and I have been thinking about changing those out. Thanks for both of you replying. A lot has changed with shooting and now I see a new organization has formed what is it called PCSL. 

Be very careful not to over crimp plated bullets. This is 99% of the people who hate them because over crimping them reduces their diameter resulting in bad accuracy and or tumbling. You can get away with over crimping jacketed bullets because the jacket will spring back considerably but the plating will not. Over crimping will produce a bullet that is under sized in the forward portion of the bullet so only the tail end of the bullet catches the rifling properly and the bullet will simply rattle down the bore. This will result in terrible accuracy and in the worst case tumbling. You only want to straighten the case, any further and you will have a bad experience. Pull a bullet, if there is a ring around it formed at the case mouth you went too far. I use them with great success but it took me a while to figure this out. I get match accuracy out of Everglades and X-treme bullets but you will need to work at it to find the magic spot on the crimping die.

My load consists of 3.3 of N-320 @ 1.080 OAL for a velocity of 880 FPS with these flat nosed bullets. Using the STI you will be able to load longer. I choose the short OAL so they work in all of my guns. 

Edited by bowenbuilt

If your jacketed are .355 and the plated are .356 you’ll get a little difference in crimp there also. I generally give all my crimps .001 at the mouth. There’s always spring back ect but up to the bullet and .001 more usually works for me. 

Same crimp I use for coated or FMJ works fine for plated, generally measures around 0.3785 on my calipers, though there is some small variation due to mixed brass.  Overcrimping can cause problems, especially with coated and plated.  Pull a bullet after loading it and make sure that there is just an ever-so-slight indention where the crimp was.  If it's breaking through coating/plating or deforming the bullet, you should back it out more.

Xtreme has gone through a couple different names and owners, at one time they were horrible,, you couldnt crimp them..sizing was all over the place,, Rainers were just as bad,, I think this got people crimping snot out of them to prevent setback on the undersized ones.. Swore em off for years other than Berry's, ended up with some everglades and they seemed fine.. and have bought commercial reloads with extremes and havent had any set back, pulling in revolver or tumbling issue. 
D0nt have much use for plated unless I get a really good deal, but basically I taper crimp until I can push on them against a bench and they dont move,, pull one and look for a slight grove. Call it good.

Most plated 9mm bullets suck for accuracy.  Rainers are .356 and better in Glocks if you can find them.   Make sure you bell the case mouth the minimum amount so the case holds the bullet and the crimp only removs the bell on the case.  The less you bell the case the better. 

18 hours ago, DougCarden said:

Most plated 9mm bullets suck for accuracy.  Rainers are .356 and better in Glocks if you can find them.   Make sure you bell the case mouth the minimum amount so the case holds the bullet and the crimp only removs the bell on the case.  The less you bell the case the better. 

This is why I moved away from them.  I do know people who get decent results, but I always had better accuracy with coated, which are also cheaper than plated.  Seems nowadays that if you are going to pay for plated, you might as well get a high quality FMJ from someone like Precision Delta or Rocky Mountain Reloading.

Honestly, I like plated bullets. They resist shaving more than coated (not really an issue if you flare appropriately anyway) and they don't smoke. You shouldn't crimp the hell out of 9mm regardless of bullet construction, it's not really something unique to plated. 

I got 2500 Everglades for $125 shipped last year. I'd gladly shoot those exclusively if that was the normal price!