Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIG Sauer P320 X5 DH3 9mm

megatronus007

Factory ammo or reloads?

If factory what brand?

And I assume you meant the extractor because if the ejector got blown out that would be real interesting.

Edited by ddc

That is what I meant. They are reloads and no the issue is not the ammo. Everything is on spec for the ammo. I checked ever oal, and powder weight of every single round and additionally had zero issues with any other pistol and the rounds. 

It’s the ammo even if it’s not. Even if you checked all the other rounds you have no way to check the round that blew. We’ve all done it. We’ve made a bad round. It could have just been a bad case. In which case…still the ammo. And the ammo are reloads so I doubt sig will warranty it. But I guess you ask?

Edit:

Just looked at you pics again. Those cases look like there was a progression of increasing pressure at the base of the case. I guess you could have a bad barrel with out of spec support, but I’d probably have to still lean towards the ammo.How long have you been reloading?

Edited by iflyskyhigh

2 hours ago, iflyskyhigh said:

Edit:

Just looked at you pics again. Those cases look like there was a progression of increasing pressure at the base of the case. I guess you could have a bad barrel with out of spec support, but I’d probably have to still lean towards the ammo.How long have you been reloading?

I noticed that too and wondered if they were shot in the order presented in the picture.

Also I've seen pictures of similarly bulged cases from P320s. I don't have any links at the moment; maybe I can find some.

Edited to add: I've had one experience with a case that ended up looking like the last one in the picture. Blew out the extractor and the right side of the grip panel.

I always assumed it was my fault from a double charge.

Edited by ddc

This was def not a double charge. All other rounds fired just fine from two other pistols. I didn’t pick up the brass still the disaster. I don’t fire a round pick up brass fire a round pick up brass. Def was the gun. Just Google p320 blowout. It’s all over the place.

3 hours ago, megatronus007 said:

This was def not a double charge. All other rounds fired just fine from two other pistols. I didn’t pick up the brass still the disaster. I don’t fire a round pick up brass fire a round pick up brass. Def was the gun. Just Google p320 blowout. It’s all over the place.

I hope you can argue your case with Sig, better than you did in this thread.  

Glad Sig is taking care of you. 

Best case scenario is the barrel is at fault and not your reloads.

Unsupported barrels in polymer guns was an issues 20 years ago. Didn’t realize it was still an issue. Kinda thought that issue had been fixed.

I have a brand new DH3. Runs like a top.

I promise I’m not insulting you or poking the bear, but I stand by the statement that once a round is fired there is no way of proving or disproving the “quality” of the round.

I could be a combination of things. It doesn’t even necessarily mean it had to be a double charge, could have been slightly overcharge. The nature of pistol powered causes small changes to make big differences. 

Could have been a combo of weakened case, poor barrel support, slightly overcharged case, or a million combinations of the above. 

May I ask what your reloads are? Powder, primer, case, machine made on?

Have you been reloading long?

Not that we don’t have our “crotchety” ones, but in general the people on this forum are the best resource on the web for all things reloading. Sometimes things written on the web get lost in translation, but the people here are generally here to help if you want it.

When it’s resolved I’d be interested to hear your outcome. What sig found? What the did to fix it? Etc?

I have many P320’s and have a personal vested interest. 

If you take the time to report back, you could help the next person who has the same issue when they are searching for the answer. 

Edited by iflyskyhigh

I was present when a buddy’s M17 suffered a similar same fate on its very first firing with factory ammo. 

Sig stated it was due to an out of spec barrel/chamber and replaced the pistol. 

IMG-2404.jpg

IMG-2410.jpg

When you sig 320, this is one of the chances you take. While not common, it does seem to happen with these pistols more than any other

On 1/1/2024 at 8:18 PM, megatronus007 said:

Got 20 shots off maybe two at a time for adjustment.

Just curious.  Was this straight out of the box, meaning you did not modify anything on the pistol?

I had the EXACT same happen a couple months ago with a MAX.  Blew out extractor, but didn't damage the slide.  Was PD 147gr ammo.

I had a similar issue with really hot +P+ Underwood factory ammo in an M17. It’s not a fully supported barrel so do not shoot hot ammo. Mine didn’t blow up but when I picked up my brass I noticed a couple got really close.  No issues in other barrels but my takeaway here is “stick to lower pressure in the M17”.  This is the wrong gun to try to shoot 9 major. 

66424120096__32EBD234-AE64-449E-BBCD-5065B63CB3B3.jpeg.2384fda9224063bf6d6577b4f977020c.jpeg

5 hours ago, Abbey said:

I had a similar issue with really hot +P+ Underwood factory ammo in an M17. It’s not a fully supported barrel so do not shoot hot ammo. Mine didn’t blow up but when I picked up my brass I noticed a couple got really close.  No issues in other barrels but my takeaway here is “stick to lower pressure in the M17”.  This is the wrong gun to try to shoot 9 major. 

66424120096__32EBD234-AE64-449E-BBCD-5065B63CB3B3.jpeg.2384fda9224063bf6d6577b4f977020c.jpeg

Looks like the wrong gun to shoot 9mm ANYTHING!

Nolan

I wouldn’t go that far (and I’m mostly a P226 guy). I didn’t see any noticeable bulging with any other factory ammo or my typical much softer reloads. But none of my other 9’s have such an unsupported barrel. Even the P365 handled those Underwood’s just fine. 

People just need to be aware of the unsupported chamber and not run hot ammo or reloads with old weak brass. 

• 2 weeks later...