Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Competition Glock Trigger?

kerneldrop

I got a, go to gear 3 1⁄2 lbs connector With a 5 lb spring.( 12.58 for pair shipped) It breaks clean consistently at 3 1⁄2 lbs and has a good reset. I don't believe I would want it any lighter.  So what am I missing here? Thx USMC

Edited by usmc1974

I think what people are chasing is a trigger without a "connector contact wall".  The GPT and the Timney both pretty much eliminate that.  To me, if you completely eliminate the wall, you have a trigger that feels very "SIG 320-ish".

The biggest advantage (to me) of the GPT and the Timney is that you can run a relatively heavy Firing Pin Spring and still have a nice trigger.  With conventional Glock triggers, you are finishing the last half of the cocking stroke with your trigger press.  To take a lot of the pull weight out of it, you have to reduce the FPS weight.  The aforementioned triggers hold the Firing Pin at full-cock, so you're only releasing a sear with your trigger movement.

So for the guys changing connectors on the GPT does it matter which connector you use or is it just preference? I like the feel of the GPT but wish it was lighter. Mine still reads 5-5.5 lbs on digital trigger pull gauge.

I've used Zev, Timney, and GPT in the Gen 5 at this point.

Similar to the conclusion I came to when running a Gen 3 and trying a bunch of different triggers-I've ended up going back to near stock.

For me to achieve match reliability it's a matter of deciding between (-) and (.) connector going down to 4.5 or 5# striker spring from the stock 5.5#, and using a reduced power plunger spring.

I may do some polishing.

The GPT trigger is super cool for dry fire because you get some trigger return (though no break) after the first shot as opposed to a dead trigger, but I won't use it in a match for now.

• 5 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Slalom45 said:

Is anyone using the Apex kit? (Trigger, bar, and connector)

My main setup is Apex kit, Wolff 4.5 striker, reduced power plunger. 

big improvement over stock as far as reduced pull weight. I don’t care about lightest possible or clean break. I want simple and reliable. Apex is 100% for shoe feel on finger, save money and just do minus connector if you want. 

Timney and GPT reliability issues are no go for me. Timney weak reset was awful. Johnny Glocks too expensive. Simple is best for me.

On 4/23/2024 at 5:35 AM, DeepFried said:

My main setup is Apex kit, Wolff 4.5 striker, reduced power plunger. 

big improvement over stock as far as reduced pull weight. I don’t care about lightest possible or clean break. I want simple and reliable. Apex is 100% for shoe feel on finger, save money and just do minus connector if you want. 

Timney and GPT reliability issues are no go for me. Timney weak reset was awful. Johnny Glocks too expensive. Simple is best for me.

I agree the Apex kit is sweet, I used to run it all the time, and now have it in my backup gen5 G17. My primary has a GPT. 

What reliability issues did you experience with the GPT?  Mine has been flawless through a few thousand rounds and hasn’t been cleaned yet. 

3 hours ago, Cuz said:

What reliability issues did you experience with the GPT?  

not so much reliability issues with the GPT, I should not have lumped them together in previous comment. 

More of the changing feel, increased weight and grit, as round count increases. Again, I just rather have plain and simple where it stays the same and I don’t have to clean it too often.

All of my Glocks run stock springs and an Apex connector with some grease on it. I actually like the smooth factory trigger a lot for a rolling break using the first joint of my finger (joint closest to the tip, rather than the pad) like I would for a DA

8 hours ago, DeepFried said:

not so much reliability issues with the GPT, I should not have lumped them together in previous comment. 

More of the changing feel, increased weight and grit, as round count increases. Again, I just rather have plain and simple where it stays the same and I don’t have to clean it too often.

Gotcha.  I had a Timney, but couldn't deal with the slow mushy reset.  The GPT solved that problem.  I don't know that I like the GPT a whole lot better than the Apex kit.  But in the Apex kit, I ran a lighter striker spring to get the feel that I wanted, and even though I can't remember getting any light strikes, with the GPT, I can run an extra power striker spring and not have to worry about it.

I think they are the 2 best options (for me) for Glock triggers out of the bunch of combos that I've tried.

On 4/22/2024 at 3:08 PM, Slalom45 said:

Is anyone using the Apex kit? (Trigger, bar, and connector)

My 16 year old son uses it in my/his match dedicated g17 for carry optics.  It took him a minute to learn it on a static range but he’s doing quite well with it.  The easy takeup to the very light wall was something he has to find because that wall can easily be passed up if you’re not aware of it.

As for my g17, I’m still rocking a polished factory Glock trigger that I’ve got down to about 4 lbs.

ive been on the fence between a Vanek comp trigger or a Johnny Glock comp trigger.

I think I may ultimately go with a Vanek.  He’s an older gentleman who doesn’t spend any money on marketing so finding reviews is a bit of a struggle but the ones I have found definitely rant and rave about them.  And being able to speak personally with him means a bunch especially if i run into problems during setup.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

JGTriggerfail.jpeg.523985afac6fb71c3293d6a011c03d47.jpeg

On 4/30/2024 at 10:37 AM, bootcamp said:

As for my g17, I’m still rocking a polished factory Glock trigger that I’ve got down to about 4 lbs.

ive been on the fence between a Vanek comp trigger or a Johnny Glock comp trigger.

I think I may ultimately go with a Vanek.  He’s an older gentleman who doesn’t spend any money on marketing so finding reviews is a bit of a struggle but the ones I have found definitely rant and rave about them.  And being able to speak personally with him means a bunch especially if i run into problems during setup.

I like Johnny Glocks Vids and I bought the whole meal deal trigger set up from him.  It quit working TWICE in the first 3 matches. First time I made an adjustment as he suggested, second time the trigger safety in his trigger shoe broke.   Johnny was a stand up guy about it.  I returned, he refunded.  TTI spring kit and GPT for me going forward. 😉

Edited by Chutist

• 1 month later...

Most of my Gen 3 guns have the 20K round trigger job, but before that it was the $0.25 trigger job plus a minus connector.  I also have one that has a Vanek which IMHO is just a more enhance version of the first.

Ive got one gun with a complete Zev trigger kit, but it took me a lot of trial and error to get it working reliably in a Zev GLOCK.  It’s would double and triple at times and the resolve that I had to go with a spring kit from TTI.

On my Gen 5 guns I’ve been running the GPt and have been impressed with it.