Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I messed up, Does anyone know a good way to separate powders?

JoeMKY

I did this once but only with a one pound bottle so I didn't even try to separate it. When I went to my local gun shop to buy more I mentioned to the owner what I did. He told me a Sheriff Deputy was just in and asking if he had any powder he could have to train his K9 to sniff explosives. I drove home and got it and brought it back and gladly handed it over.  It took a little sting out of the loss knowing it did someone some good. 

In the future if anything like this happens again I'll contact local ant state police and offer it to them before I destroy it.

Supposedly the chrono guys used to take all the dumped powder from pulling bullets at nationals and load it "like bullseye", although I suspect there may be some leg-pulling and/or a lot more to the story.

Poke a hole in the side a little below where you believe it was to begin with.  Then toss what comes out.

If the load data were close to identical I may try mixing the whole jug loading it on the light end for plinking but probably not worth it. Drain the top inch or so and move on

On 12/13/2023 at 4:54 PM, Jim Watson said:

A friend had a AA2520 Spherical vs Varget extruded mixup.

I borrowed testing sieves from my agency's laboratory and got a very clean separation.  

Bullseye vs 3031 ought to screen out.  Is there a large strainer in the kitchen?  

Yeah I tried those from the kitchen, no luck

On 12/18/2023 at 11:39 AM, m700 said:

Poke a hole in the side a little below where you believe it was to begin with.  Then toss what comes out.

If the load data were close to identical I may try mixing the whole jug loading it on the light end for plinking but probably not worth it. Drain the top inch or so and move on

Tried that didn’t work

On 12/18/2023 at 8:56 AM, shred said:

Supposedly the chrono guys used to take all the dumped powder from pulling bullets at nationals and load it "like bullseye", although I suspect there may be some leg-pulling and/or a lot more to the story.

I’ve heard that too, I’m starting to think that if your hear it more than once it might not be false 

I stocked up on N320 years back and one 3n37 snuck in.  So when I dumped it in the hopper it was clearly NOT n320.  Thankfully didn’t pour too much in and spooned out the 3n37 and the mix.  I still have the mix in a bag and I’ve added to it over the years as I process brass and inevitably get live rounds.

one day it will make for some fun.