Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are There Any Female Gms?

rtr

Are there any female GMs in any division?

Has a female ever won a division outright in an IPSC/USPSA level II or above match?

(I don't ask these questions as a dig on women, I'm just curious. And no I'm neither a GM or have won a division outright in any match).

It's a matter of the total number of shooters. How many GM guys are there per all men shooters? I don't know the answer but they are an elite group. If there were as many women shooters, there would be GM's.

So if I can ask, and I ask this without prejudice or judgement, why aren't there any female GMs?

They (women) are getting closer and closer to this level. There is certainly no physical reason why a woman cannot achieve GM or win a Level III, IV or V overall.

Generally speaking (and not wishing to sound like a low-life, male-chauvanist) women have different - and higher - priorities than shooting. There is also not much in the way of sponsorship for women, at least that I can see.

I suspect that the first division to have a lady GM will be Production, the lower level of recoil experienced by minor guns reduces any perceived difference in body strength needed to control muzzle flip.

My money is on Julie G to be the first lady GM.

I may be wrong, but I can think of several sponsored women shooters. If I am wrong someone please correct me, but Julie is with Glock, Limcat has Athena and Cheryl, Kay has several sponsors if I recall, Angie Kelley with Sig, Caylor Custom I thought sponosored 2 women, and others I could think of if I sat and tried.

I have a great knack of finishing next to (usually just behind :D) the top lady at major matches. 2004 Steel Challenge I was right next to Athena, Area 4 2005, Kay, At World Shoot XIV, Gabrielle Kraushoffer. Anyway.. these ladies are all shooting at a solid Master level (at one point I was at 93% according to USPSA), so it's only a matter of time before somebody strings together the right classifiers at the right time.

That may be part of it-- pretty much nobody is making GM in Open or Limited (where the majority of the top ladies play) by major match finish anymore, and the top ladies, being sponsored, shoot lots of major matches, and less club matches with reshootable classifiers.

I have also noticed that most all the ladies at my level are sponsored and I'm not, but then again they're much cuter than I am. :P

College scholarships dictate that most women who want to shoot will start with smallbore rifle. Also, all most enlisted personnel in all branches of service in the US use a rifle as their primary service weapon. About 10 years ago one woman won the NRA military service rifle match and another woman won a sporting rifle category. Women have finished high in rifle matches for a long time, and a few have made their mark in international shotgun competition, but are still fewer in numbers than men.

Sheila Brey was the 1st Open Lady Master

If I recall correctly, didn't Laurie Kraynick make Master, too, not long after Sheila?

If Lisa hasn't made Master in Limited yet, I'm sure she'll be the 1st Female Limited Master

Yes, Lisa is M in both Open and Limited.

Bruce

Sheila Brey was the 1st Open Lady Master

If I recall correctly, didn't Laurie Kraynick make Master, too, not long after Sheila?

If Lisa hasn't made Master in Limited yet, I'm sure she'll be the 1st Female Limited Master

Yes, Lisa is M in both Open and Limited.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I couldn't recall her name. You're absolutely right. The others that I know of on the short list of Lady Masters include Kay (of course) and Tonda (who was on our last world shoot team). I just spoke with Tonda's husband and told him to have her join us here on the forums.

Just as an interesting aside to this discussion, the current SASS World Champion is a female, and rather a young one at that.

Alex, I believe you have been misinformed. Holy Terror finished fifth place overall.

http://www.sassnet.com/EoT/results/05/Matc...5MatchFinal.pdf

(....still an outstanding performance considering there were around 800 shooters participating in that match....)

There are less women than men in the sport, but still, there's a lot of physicalness involved in making GM. Typically men are just faster and stronger. Why aren't there any female major league baseball players?

Edited by lim10gm