Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top 15000 Classification Rankings

jrdoran

I was inspired by the other thread:  https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/309541-scsa-top-20/

Given suggestions about how this data must exist, I  embarked on a 2 week exercise to pull actual classifications, organize  and see how things look.   I'm interested in your feedback / suggestions / criticisms.    

Using the last 3 full years of steel challenge shooters USPSA# from the SCSA results page I had a pool of data to compute actual classifications.

I ended up with over 15k of unique shooters( USPSA#)  to then compute each of their division current classifications.   Zero percentages = "No CURRENT classification"

-- See how my Top 20 compares with SCSA top 20 !    See how some shooters are 146%+.  

-- See how you rank !

-- Use the search field for USPSA# or first name last initial "example: Jim D"

Special thanks for collaboration with @Hoops@GKB @bravobravo  and a few others who chimed in locally. 

image.png.3862689673106f85eef619d99cb8588a.pnghttps://myenos.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/index.html

image.thumb.png.0c94ecea1fdca5a7c60f4685bc5fb196.png

Edited by jrdoran
cleaned up

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notes

1.  There is a search at the top of each Division page listing.  Type in a USPSA # or (First Name/Last Letter) to find a specific person.

2.  Some people have a PST (Peak Stage Time) shown less than the full time for the Division (like 59.0 when RFRO PST is 68.0).  Best guess is that these are people that haven't shot all of the stages, so their Peak is the sum of only the Stages they have classified.

3.  A shooters "Classification Percentage" may not equate to their SCSA Classification.  Jim is calculating the CLASSIFICATION PERCENTAGE based on (PST divided by TOTAL TIME).  For some people, they may have earned a Classification when the PST was slower and the current calculation would not qualify today.  (So somebody with a 93.5% may be a grandfathered GM.)

@gkb - Gary spot on;   Thanks for the hands usage tips.

Notes

1.  Thanks for reminding folks;  Search isn't perfect, but it is super fast and works on any characters;  

2.  This is exactly the case and I have verified with a few samples.   It threw me first time I saw it.  

Example classification with < 8 stages ( missing SC-107)     https://scsa.org/classification/A68634

image.thumb.png.935463792d4f064ac4475ae94a598eb2.png

3.  A shooters "Classification Percentage" may not equate to their SCSA Classification.  My point of view is for purposes of ranking only non-expired times and therefore current percentages should be used.  There is one case where a big name top shooter on SCSA Top 20  in a division has expired times and therefore has dropped way down in my list.   

🫢

Looks like @jrdoran has hit it out of the park!

If you want to see where you or someone else ranks in a division, you can easily search by name or member number or just scroll through the list until you find what you’re looking for.

If you want to see what the actual percentages are for someone over 100% it is now calculated for us.

Percentages based on expired times are removed from the list.

thank you for this invaluable resource

2 hours ago, GKB said:

Is this data static from when it was extracted or will it update as additional matches are submitted to SCSA?

Static would be outdated in 6 days.  I rerun every Wednesday as new match results get loaded.   Year end GM push is on I can tell already from our local clubs. 

I plan to add an additional column that represents the 2024 new Peaks and how each person can expect future classification changes. 

When I started the Top 20 topic I had a few thoughts regarding what I, as a member, would like to see from USPSA org:

1. Expand weekly Top 20 classifications to 100.

2. Show actual percentages for GM class.

3. Show my numeric ranking against all those shooting within my divisions.  Example 250/2500.

What @jrdoran has done far exceeded my thinking at the time.  As a tech noob, I can’t imagine the skill level he has to do this….and the time he spent.  It has been super interesting to me looking my personal ranking….and my shooting buddies too.  

On a broader scale.  In the November USPSA magazine Org discusses the high percentage of non-members that are shooting matches.  What are the incentives to join?  I believe, IMO, that providing all members with data like @jrdoran put together is important.

I’m older, a bit slower, but I’m still mentally competitive.   I would love being able to “compete” against my shooting friends with “ranking stats”.  Hey, you beat me this week, but I’m still 5 positions above you.  Wouldn’t everyone want this info?

Just a factoid: 

Ran SCSA/Results/2023 crawler to pick up some new USPSA numbers from new matches this morning;

• 2,547 Total matches so far listed in scsa/results/2023
  • 47,221 shooter entries in results across all matches    
  • 10,731 Unique USPSA Numbers ( eliminate dupes across matches and across divisions ) ( Some are still bogus as people transpose their number ( "TY" / "YT" or type "XXXX" or "N/A" )).   They fail the classification lookup so no big deal, just noise;

I've been playing around ( under weather with a cold ) with what the distribution of GM,M,A,B,C,D  classifications looks like in some of the divisions.  

I used these 3 to start because....

• RFRO most popular; Low ready divisions are similar outcomes ( my guess )
  • CO is popular CF pistol division
  • Open has a long history with Top shooters

There were 15,190 records/ division, and the count represents > 0% classification in that Division;  

image.thumb.png.ae2f5e51b38cc677cc9700676b940f83.png

27 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

I've been playing around ( under weather with a cold ) with what the distribution of GM,M,A,B,C,D  classifications looks like in some of the divisions.  

There were 15,190 records/ division, and the count represents > 0% classification in that Division;  

I was going to ask you if you could do this….and bam….here it is before I asked.  Thanks.

Interesting M and .95% stats.  Perhaps instead of tweaking peak times the division percentages should be looked at?

2 hours ago, jrdoran said:

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Hope you feel better soon

I’ve often said that lowering peak times disproportionately impacts the lower classes.  

we should remember that the percentages used for each classification was copied from USPSA….(I think this is correct)

Curious for comments on this.  Anyone see what I’m seeing in the pie charts?

53 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I’ve often said that lowering peak times disproportionately impacts the lower classes.  

we should remember that the percentages used for each classification was copied from USPSA….(I think this is correct)

Curious for comments on this.  Anyone see what I’m seeing in the pie charts?

I agree with you.  Possibly lower peak times for A,B,C and D classes and make M and GM 115% and 125%. In other words make the top of A class 100% and make M and GM higher percentages

I think this would help even out classifications. What do you think?

Anyway hope this makes sense.

3 hours ago, old558 said:

I agree with you.  Possibly lower peak times for A,B,C and D classes and make M and GM 115% and 125%. In other words make the top of A class 100% and make M and GM higher percentages

I think this would help even out classifications. What do you think?

Anyway hope this makes sense.

The similarities between the three charts would appear to support a review of the assigned percentages by class.  Even though the percentages to earn for each class are the same between USPSA and SCSA, the pathway’s to earn the higher levels are radically different between the two sports relative to classifiers.  

I’m still thinking about this.  

An astute person pointed out that in some cases there are people who have expired USPSA membership and should not be included in the list.   

So.....   The great news is as I capture / eliminate some of these expired USPSA membership users, your ranking should go up.   I  already know of (2) in RFRO ! 

Separate, I already set expired SCSA division classifications to zero percentage.  The SCSA rule is current plus 2 prior calendar years are used for classification.

image.thumb.png.7fb111877ef6aa459e0c4b40fd53210c.png

https://scsa.org/classification/FY105260

http://steelrankings.com

Catchy new url link, old link still works; 

https://myenos.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/index.html

All Data Updated:   Generated Date and Time: 2023-11-26 15:02:02

ChangeLog: 

• Updated 2023 matches —> derived Updated USPSA numbers;  YTD 2608 SC matches  ( total data includes, 2023, 2022, 2021  all SC matches / unique numbers)
  • Recalculated 16,461 unique USPSA numbers for classification as of: 11/25/23 match results
  • Excluded from table - non existent or expired division classifications previously ( zero percent )
  • Excluded classifications from  USPSA# with expired USPSA membership status
    • 42,497 ( Guns ( 13 div )  excluded due to expiration ( 3269 Shooters expired USPSA ) 
    • Link on main page to expired entries
  • Made classification web table more vertically dense by eliminating multi-row element wrap
  • Reorganized top headers and added link to return to main page

Thank you to everyone who emailed me with suggestions and appreciation.  Keep them coming !  

This will update weekly as I'm dependent on SCSA classification updates; 

Edited by jrdoran

@jrdoran  Can you add to the JD STAT home page (or link to a FAQ page) with the answers from here?

1.  This data is updated weekly on Wednesdays.

2.  Expired USPSA memberships are excluded.  The SCSA rule is current plus 2 prior calendar years are used for classification.

3.  There is a search at the top of each Division page listing.  Type in a USPSA # or (First Name/Last Letter) to find a specific person.

4.  Some people have a PST (Peak Stage Time) shown less than the full 8 stage time for the Division (like 59.0 when RFRO PST is 68.0).  These are people that haven't shot all of the stages, so their Peak is the sum of only the Stages they have classified.

5.  USPSA/SCSA may change the PSTs yearly (January).  This will result in a change (down) to a Classification Percentage shown here when no match results have changed.

6.  A shooters "Classification Percentage" may not equate to their SCSA Classification.  The CLASSIFICATION PERCENTAGE is calculated here based on (PST divided by TOTAL TIME).  For some people, they may have earned a Classification when the PST was slower and the current calculation would not qualify today.  (So somebody with a 93.5% may be a grandfathered GM.)

Anything else to help people interpret this data?

1 hour ago, jrdoran said:

https://myenos.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/index.html

All Data Updated:   Generated Date and Time: 2023-11-26 15:02:02

ChangeLog: 

• Updated 2023 matches —> derived Updated USPSA numbers;  YTD 2608 SC matches  ( total data includes, 2023, 2022, 2021  all SC matches / unique numbers)
  • Recalculated 16,461 unique USPSA numbers for classification as of: 11/25/23 match results
  • Excluded from table - non existent or expired division classifications previously ( zero percent )
  • Excluded classifications from  USPSA# with expired USPSA membership status
    • 42,497 ( Guns ( 13 div )  excluded due to expiration ( 3269 Shooters expired USPSA ) 
    • Link on main page to expired entries
  • Made classification web table more vertically dense by eliminating multi-row element wrap
  • Reorganized top headers and added link to return to main page

Thank you to everyone who emailed me with suggestions and appreciation.  Keep them coming !  

This will update weekly as I'm dependent on SCSA classification updates; 

Thank you jrdoran!

21 hours ago, GKB said:

@jrdoran  Can you add to the JD STAT home page (or link to a FAQ page) with the answers from here?

1.  This data is updated weekly on Wednesdays.  DONE

2.  Expired USPSA memberships are excluded.  The SCSA rule is current plus 2 prior calendar years are used for classification. DONE

3.  There is a search at the top of each Division page listing.  Type in a USPSA # or (First Name/Last Letter) to find a specific person.  DONE

4.  Some people have a PST (Peak Stage Time) shown less than the full 8 stage time for the Division (like 59.0 when RFRO PST is 68.0).  These are people that haven't shot all of the stages, so their Peak is the sum of only the Stages they have classified.  Seems like part of the SCSA classification rules; not unique to what I am showing.

5.  USPSA/SCSA may change the PSTs yearly (January).  This will result in a change (down) to a Classification Percentage shown here when no match results have changed. Seems like part of the SCSA classification rules; not unique to what I am showing.

6.  A shooters "Classification Percentage" may not equate to their SCSA Classification.  The CLASSIFICATION PERCENTAGE is calculated here based on (PST divided by TOTAL TIME).  For some people, they may have earned a Classification when the PST was slower and the current calculation would not qualify today.  (So somebody with a 93.5% may be a grandfathered GM.). Seems like part of the SCSA classification rules; not unique to what I am showing.  

Anything else to help people interpret this data?  

Perhaps I am too close to it, but I am hoping the interpretation barrier is low.   Other than I exclude expired classifications, and expired USPSA members, and recalculate it weekly, it should be straight forward for any steel challenge shooter.   But, I could be wrong.  Tell you what Gary, if you want to writeup a short FAQ list or something, happy to host it and link it.  Just send me the text;  

To make things easier, and one stop shopping I added 2023 and 2024 peak times ( @GKB 2024 thanks ) 

http://steelrankings.com

Catchy new url link, old link still works;    https://myenos.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/index.html

Edited by jrdoran