Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Owner of Sig P320 X5 Carry Optics IDPA Need Upgrade Suggestions

kmaultsby

Hello every one, I am switching from standard sights to red dot.  I just purchased a new Sig P320 X5 for carry optics for IDPA and will use it for some USPSA. I will have to take the Magwell off of course.  I will be installing a Sig Romeo 1 pro red dot on the pistol.  I would like to hear from other owners on suggested upgrades.  I have small hands and short fingers. The grip still fits my hand well, but with my short trigger finger looking for trigger upgrade suggestions.  I am  looking for bullet weight suggestions.  For my other IDPA pistol, Iam am using 147gr at 133PF xtreme bullets.   I am looking for the following recommendations or suggestions.  I reload so I will be experimenting. 

1. Trigger upgrade 

2. Bullet type and weight to try.

3. Recoil Rod & Spring

Thanks in advance

The best upgrade I did to my X5 was to install the Gray Guns trigger - waaaay better than the factory trigger.

Also, I use a tungsten guide rod when shooting USPSA, you cannot use tungsten in IDPA.

Just to clear up a misperception you have. You can use a magwell in IDPA CO. In USPSA a magwell is allowed in the new limited optics division.

As far as bullets go I use 147 gn bullets religiously. I have NEVER had a problem with these in my X5. Lately I have been using FN bullets instead of RN. For my old eyes I think I see the holes in the target better.

20 hours ago, kmaultsby said:

Gray Guns Trigger did you install it yourself or did you send it in?

I installed the Gray Guns trigger myself. I installed it back in 2019 so honestly I don't remember the details of the install but I do know that I did not have any problems, it was straightforward if I remember correctly. I am a pretty handy person but not a gunsmith by any means.

On 10/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, LHshooter said:

The best upgrade I did to my X5 was to install the Gray Guns trigger - waaaay better than the factory trigger.

Also, I use a tungsten guide rod when shooting USPSA, you cannot use tungsten in IDPA.

Just to clear up a misperception you have. You can use a magwell in IDPA CO. In USPSA a magwell is allowed in the new limited optics division.

As far as bullets go I use 147 gn bullets religiously. I have NEVER had a problem with these in my X5. Lately I have been using FN bullets instead of RN. For my old eyes I think I see the holes in the target better.

Thank you.  What bullets do you use?

Edited by kmaultsby

bullets are bullets. i have heard of some 320's having some tumbling/keyholing issues with 147's and we definitely experienced it, but we only used a few hundred that we got free at a match. ours definitely prefers .356 diameter, for companies like blue bullets that offer you a choice (their default is .355). most people use 124gr. we prefer 115gr, but the difference is subtle.

we had better luck with the stock 14lb recoil spring, or a 13lb we got from somwhere (springer, I think). the stock 12lb spring seemed to contribute to light strikes, like it was just too easy for the slide to get ever so slightly nudged out of battery. Local GM also says his groups were tighter with the 14lb spring.

14 hours ago, kmaultsby said:

Thank you.  What bullets do you use?

I use 147 gn bullets from Hoosier Bullets lately but I have also used them from Blue Bullets and Missouri Bullets. All have worked with ZERO issues through my X5. Primarily I now use flat nose bullets and they work just as well as the RN that I used to use.

On 10/29/2023 at 5:34 PM, LHshooter said:

That is no longer completely true. 
You can use tungsten in ESP and ESP derived divisions such as CCP and CO.

You can not use tungsten in SSP and CDP.

ESP related divisions just have to fit in the box and make weight. Other than that do whatever you want.

Trigger job from the The Sig Armorer.  Fantastic work too.

124/125 bullets or Blue Bullets 135's.  My 320's likes them both with Sport Pistol.

Tungsten guide rod with 14 pound spring.  Got the guide rod from Springer. 

Trijicon 5 moa SRO is my optic.

2 hours ago, ddc said:

That is no longer completely true. 
You can use tungsten in ESP and ESP derived divisions such as CCP and CO.

You can not use tungsten in SSP and CDP.

ESP related divisions just have to fit in the box and make weight. Other than that do whatever you want.

Thanks for clarifying that. With all the rule changes lately that one got by me. Plus, my x5 doesn't make weight with the tungsten guide rod in co.

16 hours ago, old558 said:

Is this an x5 or an x5 Legion? I'm asking because I have a x5 and the Romeo 1 fits it without an optic plate Legion may be different.

The original P320 X5 would only fit a Romeo 1 without a plate.

The original P320 X5 Legions would fit a Romeo 1 pro or DPP. the Romeo 1 will also fit, if you enlarge the holes in the optic itself.

P320 X5 legions made after about February 2020 will  fit a DPP, Romeo 1 pro or RMR without a plate

36 minutes ago, Rich406 said:

The original P320 X5 would only fit a Romeo 1 without a plate.

The original P320 X5 Legions would fit a Romeo 1 pro or DPP. the Romeo 1 will also fit, if you enlarge the holes in the optic itself.

P320 X5 legions made after about February 2020 will  fit a DPP, Romeo 1 pro or RMR without a plate

Great info

On 11/2/2023 at 3:20 PM, old558 said:

Is this an x5 or an x5 Legion? I'm asking because I have a x5 and the Romeo 1 fits it without an optic plate Legion may be different.

It is the X5 TXG not the Legion but it did come with Legion Mags

• 2 weeks later...