Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What federal box ammo uses 100 primers

testosterone

Kind of makes me wonder why the "Is reloading even worth it with primer prices so high?" thread keeps coming back.

Well, yeah. It is worth it.

If only for ammo your gun will shoot. Or, you can crank the strain screw back up to the factory 10 lbs. and it will shoot anything.

I seem to remember that Federal doesn't use the softer primers in centerfire or rimfire in some cases.

I sort of wonder about their factory primers also. I have some factory primed 327 Fed brass that the lacquer looks different than the regular primers that I have, SP, SR and magnums. If I load any of the primers I have with a standard load and compare them with the pre-primed brass with the same load, the primed brass looks perfect and the ones I primed are mashed flat after firing. I haven’t compared velocity yet but there’s something different. 

23 hours ago, testosterone said:

I had some syntech ammo and figured my revos would surely set this stuff off but no bueno.

What loaded 9mm ammo from federal actually uses the 100's???  Does anyone know?

They are using 100s, they're just not seated to the bottom. 

If you take the ammo, reseat the primers, and crimp it, it will work.

Of course, by them you might as well reload.

• 3 months later...

I am at shot show, talked to federal.

The 100's are not used in production run ammo.

They are as of yesterday ~3 years behind on orders.

Primer production for all types is produced on same machines.

They do allocations for reloaders, its not over run that goes to reloaders.

Between cci and federal(both under vista) cci has much greater production capacity which is why they are more available.

Maybe they’re getting them from White River. I looked more closely at the factory primed brass I have and by the color coding it looks like they toss in whatever is available. I once bought some factory primed WW rifle brass and noticed that there were std and magnum primers in them. 

8 hours ago, Farmer said:

I once bought some factory primed WW rifle brass and noticed that there were std and magnum primers in them. 

How could you tell?

Just now, ysrracer said:

How could you tell?

By the lacquer coating on the inside of the primers. A 100m Fed has green paper, 200m has a red dot. SR match has a purple coating, SR std has a small purple dot. CCI uses yellow paper, WW uses red lacquer for magnums. You guys really need to pay attention to this stuff. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Farmer said:

By the lacquer coating on the inside of the primers. A 100m Fed has green paper, 200m has a red dot. SR match has a purple coating, SR std has a small purple dot. CCI uses yellow paper, WW uses red lacquer for magnums. You guys really need to pay attention to this stuff. 🤣

Thanks Rainman :)

On 1/26/2024 at 8:40 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Did you get them to tell you what primers they do use for production ammo then? If the 100’s are supposed to be the gold standard of primers, why would they not put them in their competition ammo? 

Based on the conversation i had, the 100's dont go in loaded ammo.

1 minute ago, testosterone said:

Based on the conversation i had, the 100's dont go in loaded ammo.

I would think that's correct. My trigger is set at 6 pounds, and it will fire Fed 100s reliably, but not Federal loaded ammo.

4 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I would think that's correct. My trigger is set at 6 pounds, and it will fire Fed 100s reliably, but not Federal loaded ammo.

Yep.  The cups and even the compound is different according to the guy i talked to.

He did also say the compound is in process of being changed for the entire federal line to 100% lead free(i thought this was already the case but he said no).

28 minutes ago, testosterone said:

Yep.  The cups and even the compound is different according to the guy i talked to.

He did also say the compound is in process of being changed for the entire federal line to 100% lead free(i thought this was already the case but he said no).

Now that is disturbing, my impression of lead free primers is not good.  Is it goodbye to our light action happy pills?

Edited by pskys2

4 hours ago, testosterone said:

He said that they retain there current sensitivity.

Wonder if current flash hole size will work too or if they’ll need to be enlarged. Just what everyone wants to do is drill out 10k cases. 

Keep in mind--even if factory Federal ammo does have Federal primers, they will not be seated to below flush like our custom revolver handloads.  

Back when I was shooting major, I would occasionally want to shoot factory American Eagle white box .45ACP at matches.  In order to ensure 100% ignition in my guns with lighter mainspring tension, I would have to re-squeeze them by hand with a priming tool.