Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 upgrades

I switched to automatic presses a few years back… they are great, but for quick swap calibers I still think it’s hard to beat a 650/750.

I just reacquired an older 650… Can the group give me the recommended upgrades for the press?  I remember snowshooze was pretty much where it was at years ago.  Is that still the consensus?

Let me know!

I'd run the press first.

If it screws up figure out why and fix it.

Often an adjustment and a deep cleaning is all you need.

If all else fails then an attempted upgrade makes sense. 

Otherwise you are spending money you may not need to spend.

Most 650/750 run fine just as they come from Dillon.

On 10/21/2023 at 1:46 PM, Face5535 said:

Let me know!

The shell plate bearings aren’t worth it. Upgrade the index roller cam to a bearing and add the mod to stop primers from advancing. It s also nice to have a spent primer tube, and the primer catch for unused primers. 

5 hours ago, ddc said:

I'd run the press first.

If it screws up figure out why and fix it.

Often an adjustment and a deep cleaning is all you need.

If all else fails then an attempted upgrade makes sense. 

Otherwise you are spending money you may not need to spend.

Most 650/750 run fine just as they come from Dillon.

Solid thought! I’m pretty familiar with how to adjust the press.  It’s been a while, but the 650 isn’t an over complicated press!

23 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

The shell plate bearings aren’t worth it. Upgrade the index roller cam to a bearing and add the mod to stop primers from advancing. It s also nice to have a spent primer tube, and the primer catch for unused primers. 

I actually recall it not being worth it…. I do remember the roller cam being solid.  I’ll double check those!

2 hours ago, HesedTech said:

That is one upgrade I can get behind. I don't use my 650 much anymore but if I did I'd spring for stop primer thingy.

And now that I think about it the spent primer tube adapter is great.

So I take some of my previous statement back for sure.  

Good luck with your new/old press!

4 hours ago, jejb said:

Yep, the stop primer is a good thing! Not sure how easy they are to find for the 650 these days though. The UFO light is a must add too, IMO. 

I've seen them for sale but I just printed them off of Thingiverse.com, the primer stop and the spent primer tube adapter.

Anytime I see something that looks printed I go there and look.

• 2 weeks later...

Snowshooze upgrades are nice.  I run a couple of his upgrades.  If I remember correctly,  I run the roller cam update, bearing upgrade, primer stop, locator tabs, index bearing block, aluminum roller handle and case feeder stop.

Edited by stick

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 7:25 PM, sharko said:

I just got a bunch of the Armanov powder funnel quick releases, nice when you finish and dump the powder.

I just got some now that im on 1100. I always thought it was just as easy to remove the toolhead and dump it but now that I have them I should have bought them when I was on 650.