Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Luck at Worlds!

Duck_Duckalo

I've read a few complaints about stage design on FB.  They copied 7 of the stages for our match last weekend and I really enjoyed them.  I think it's great that a local guy won the whole match.  I really don't know Kevin, but I love his range and the matches put on there.  The only comment I have about the match is that the number of shooters doesn't seem to equal a WORLD championship when Area 4 had more shooters.

It seems like it's getting a similar response as USPSA Handgun Nat's, the shots were longer then expected with vary tight shots on none threats. I imagine HQ for both had the same thoughts, "It's a championship it's not supposed to be easy" This mentality seems to lead to lots of no shoots in both games, and not really super fun stages. I wasn't there, I have no idea just stuff I've heard. 

Apparently they shot until almost dark for the first day's PM squad.

I also know at least one person failed equipment check after shooting more than half the match and was allowed to just fix their gear and keep shooting. Some people are salty about that which I understand. But in defense of the guy, he's shot that gun in several majors it's been in every style box IDPA makes, plastic, wood and metal and has always passed and for some reason this time the safety was to tall. IDPA might want to get a more consistent box manufacturer.

It should concern everyone that shoots IDPA, because even if you buy all the boxes and test your gear you might still travel across the country and fail equipment check.

From the 2015 Rulebook ver 1.1, Match Administration Handbook section.

"1.2.6 Firearm Test Boxes 1.2.6.1 The IDPA firearm test box has an allowed dimensional tolerance of -0” and +1 /16” (1.6 mm.) Boxes outside this tolerance range may not be used in IDPA matches for equipment checks or for “firearm in the box” starts."

Did not research how many years previous a tolerance in print was added. 

On 10/17/2023 at 8:07 AM, Racinready300ex said:

It seems like it's getting a similar response as USPSA Handgun Nat's, the shots were longer then expected with vary tight shots on none threats. I imagine HQ for both had the same thoughts, "It's a championship it's not supposed to be easy" This mentality seems to lead to lots of no shoots in both games, and not really super fun stages. I wasn't there, I have no idea just stuff I've heard. 

Apparently they shot until almost dark for the first day's PM squad.

I also know at least one person failed equipment check after shooting more than half the match and was allowed to just fix their gear and keep shooting. Some people are salty about that which I understand. But in defense of the guy, he's shot that gun in several majors it's been in every style box IDPA makes, plastic, wood and metal and has always passed and for some reason this time the safety was to tall. IDPA might want to get a more consistent box manufacturer.

It should concern everyone that shoots IDPA, because even if you buy all the boxes and test your gear you might still travel across the country and fail equipment check.

This explains some of the "courtesy check" posts I have been seeing.

4 hours ago, Buzzdraw said:

From the 2015 Rulebook ver 1.1, Match Administration Handbook section.

"1.2.6 Firearm Test Boxes 1.2.6.1 The IDPA firearm test box has an allowed dimensional tolerance of -0” and +1 /16” (1.6 mm.) Boxes outside this tolerance range may not be used in IDPA matches for equipment checks or for “firearm in the box” starts."

Did not research how many years previous a tolerance in print was added. 

image.thumb.png.27b0e9f0506f2e368714521b49becdc2.png 

On 10/17/2023 at 5:34 AM, RangerTrace said:

I've read a few complaints about stage design on FB.  They copied 7 of the stages for our match last weekend and I really enjoyed them.  I think it's great that a local guy won the whole match.  I really don't know Kevin, but I love his range and the matches put on there.  The only comment I have about the match is that the number of shooters doesn't seem to equal a WORLD championship when Area 4 had more shooters.

When I looked at the number of shooters I thought it was rather low. I wonder why that happened.

2 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

I keep hearing about the guy who failed equipment and kept shooting, but nobody says the name. Who was it?

I'm not giving any names. I don't think that's important anyway, people just want that so they can have someone to be mad at.

I've heard he wasn't the only one. And it's worth considering this is someone who probably gets north of 20 points a year and owns every version of a IDPA box on the market. It's odd his gun failed this time and never has before. I'm betting the box might of been a little thin. 

1 minute ago, Duck_Duckalo said:

When I looked at the number of shooters I thought it was rather low. I wonder why that happened.

I think it's pretty normal for IDPA nationals to be under 400 shooters. It's never really been a big match.

I assume it's because they want everyone to go to the awards after the second day,

3 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think it's pretty normal for IDPA nationals to be under 400 shooters. It's never really been a big match.

I assume it's because they want everyone to go to the awards after the second day,

That makes sense. Hopefully next year I can go. I've never been to nationals.

Just now, Duck_Duckalo said:

That makes sense. Hopefully next year I can go. I've never been to nationals.

I hope to try to go next year too. Some what depends where it's located though. Last year I only had 6 points which put me on the waitlist. I ended up just backing out this year, to much going on anyway.

Unfortunately I've already missed out on 4 points from a couple matches I registered for but couldn't make which kind of sucks. Going to be tough getting enough points now. I currently only have 2 lol. 

Just now, Zachjet said:

How do you earn points? 

Shoot Tier II matches and up. You earn points based on the number of matches you shoot. But there is always a wait list if you did not earn enough points (shoot enough larger matches).

3 hours ago, Duck_Duckalo said:

Shoot Tier II matches and up. You earn points based on the number of matches you shoot. But there is always a wait list if you did not earn enough points (shoot enough larger matches).

Gotcha.  So it’s basically based on participation. Not based on the results of certain matches. 

makes sense.  Seems like a good system

14 hours ago, Zachjet said:

Gotcha.  So it’s basically based on participation. Not based on the results of certain matches. 

makes sense.  Seems like a good system

I think so. This way the people that shoot are first pick to go.

Round dumping was a pe, no fault lines, tac sequence existed, different vision barrier and no shoot rules, different concealment rule, different reloading rules...

See what idpa nats was like just 10 years ago

19 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I'm not giving any names. I don't think that's important anyway, people just want that so they can have someone to be mad at.

I've heard he wasn't the only one. And it's worth considering this is someone who probably gets north of 20 points a year and owns every version of a IDPA box on the market. It's odd his gun failed this time and never has before. I'm betting the box might of been a little thin. 

Nobody is mad at the shooter. They're mad at the MD lol

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Round dumping was a pe, no fault lines, tac sequence existed, different vision barrier and no shoot rules, different concealment rule, different reloading rules...

See what idpa nats was like just 10 years ago

No fault lines...

IDPA's point system for their Nationals reward those who shoot IDPA Tier 2 and higher matches.  For some, with few sanctioned matches near them, it's expensive to travel far enough to gain sufficient points.  The location of any upcoming Nationals always has an impact on who can come, based on travel time, costs and gun laws at the site. 

IDPA's Rules have changed greatly from the genesis in 1997.  Today's Rules are much nearer USPSA rules than before.