Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blowing Up My Friggin' Gun...

Chris Rhines

At the range yesterday, testfiring the AR, did some 100-yard offhand groups, some reloading drills, things are working nicely. Decided to put a few rounds through the G35 while I had it out. Put up a target at fifteen yards, got out the ammo (my own 180grn. Zero FMJs over 4.5 of Titegroup.) Shot some fifteen-yard Bill Drills, working on timing the gun, feeling good. Decided to finish, as I usually do, with a string of strong-hand and a string of weak-hand. Strong hand, fine. Halfway through the weak hand strong, KA-EFFING-BOOM!!! and my left hand feels like I slammed it in a car door.

Well, hell. Looks like one of those cartridges might have been 9.0 grains of Titegroup, etc. :unsure:

My much-loved G35 is a total write-off - frame cracked right down the frontstrap, rear slide rails ripped off, chamber hood of the barrel split even with the ejection port. The trigger was completely shattered. Magazine blew out, and the mag catch was in three pieces. I might be able to save the slide, but even that's a question mark.

Still and all, I can't get too wrapped around the proverbial axle. I got off easy - just a sore thumb and a couple tiny cuts on my left palm. I could very easily been down a couple of fingers or an eye.

But hell. Now I need to replace my pistol, and between Christmas and the upcoming foray to the SHOT Show, my bank account may or may not support the expenditure. Great timing. :(

Hey, anyone out there in DC need some computer or network support? I could use the pickup work right about now... :D

- Chris

:unsure: I hate it when that happens! I double charged a 45 round and had a piece of bad brass at the same time....when the bottom blows off the piece of brass a funny thing happens and the next rounds in the mag blows....I got lucky with some brass fragments in my cheek and a lovely black eye for about a week where my glasses got pushed into my face....consider yourself lucky! A business suit and a black eye are just NOT the latest in womens accessories :lol: I did learn my lesson about indexing a 550 reloader!!!

Go buy yourself a new toy...it will make you feel better!

Glad you're OK and in one piece!! That's scary stuff!!

It might be educational if you'd describe your loading press setup and loading habits, etc, so that others might learn how to avoid that situation, if you're up to it??

Sure! I had just switched from a 9mm to a 45 and was adjusting my 550 Dillon reloader to get the grain count on the powder where I wanted it to be. I would adjust the powder level then run about 5 rounds through and weigh it to see if it was where I wanted it to be. The 550 doesn't auto index so you have to index it yourself. If you don't....guess what...double charge. So obviously as I was playing with it I was paying more attention to getting one off to weigh it and forgot to index the next round and double charged one. Since then I have been extremely cautious about what I do and how when I am adjusting my press. Checking EVERY station when you are going thru powder adjustments on a reloader that doesn't auto index is critical :wub: My bad luck was in that I didn't check the brass on every round before I loaded my mags and this one had a split or crack around the bottom.

Good lesson.....when I reload I do just that and nothing else! And I case guage and check EVERY round before I shoot. :D That lovely purple and green around my eye did nothing for my normally green eyes!

Edited by Trisha Lowry

Since then I have been extremely cautious about what I do and how when I am adjusting my press.

Thanks for the example, Trisha. I think this statement should be considered carefully by anyone loading on any press (just wait, the 550 bashers are coming :) ). Dillon updated the powder measure design so you can't easily do this on a 650 anymore, but when I had mine in the past, you could easily throw a double charge while working on load development, etc - if you weren't paying attention.

I load on a 550, now. I'm extremely cautious, yet I still manage 500-600 rounds an hour, right now (and I'm still out of practice), so... you can still load smoothly and quickly, and be safe...

That lovely purple and green around my eye did nothing for my normally green eyes!

Ouch. Good example of why we wear safety glasses, though :)

Glad you are ok. However call Glock, they might help you out. When one of the guys at my range did the very same thing to his Glock 35, he called them, told them exactly what happened (including the fact that he was shooting reloads) and glock "sold" him a certificate for replacement for something less then 1/2 the price of the original gun. It might be worth giving them a call and seeing whats what.

I've seen more squibs double charges and overall screwups with a 550 than any other press... that said i reload on one. and have been very cautious since day one and only had a couple of squibs mostly due to wet cases left too long.

Glad to hear everyone is ok... glocks do a good job of containing things it seems.

Sorry to hear about that one; good on you for standing up to a mistake that many have made (and not trying to blame someone else).

I think the lack of serious injury says a lot about the Glock design. Hope things work out w. the replacement.

It's threads like this that make me consider replacing my 550s with something else but I have seen threads where this has happened with a 650 also.... I have had to throw away loaded rounds because I was interrupted or whatever when weighing loads with rounds in the tray and then being afraid to use the ones I had already loaded because I kept cranking....

As a reloader I try to do the triple check thing and then one more for good measure when doing load development. I am NOT a detail oriented person and realize this about myself. As I do accept this I have tried to modify my behavior to minimize my opportunities to screw up.

I just bought enough Loaders to have one for every caliber I shoot and once I get a good load worked up I leave it alone and just crank em out.

Get in touch with Glock as a previous post suggests.

I assume they still make things right. (or at least better) They used to replace the gun for $250 or something like that for shooter induced kabooms.

About 15 years ago I got distracted while reloading on my 550. Double charged a 45acp . Blew the mag out . Chewed up the first 2 rounds in the mag. Split both grips. Gun ok. Hand ok. I changed the lighting in my reloading area . I now reload standing up . You can see inside the cases, and when ever I am distracted while I am reloading I start over and double check everything. I now have a 650. I like it much better.

This is one of the main reasons I use a 650 and not a 550. Sorry to hear about what happened and glad you're ok. Is there any way you could send the gun back to the manufacturer and have them fix it? I know a lot of companies will do this. Even if they have to use a new frame they can just swap the serial number over?