Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left handed mag release technique

Dhlee973

Hello y'all. I am a left handed shooter and am currently practicing with a Walther PDP for production. I have been experimenting with the interchangeable mag release on the PDP to see if having a right side release would be more beneficial versus using my index finger to hit the mag release on the left side. On one hand, I do have to break my grip to hit the release on the right side, whereas I can bend my index finger inwards and use the knuckle closest to the nail to hit the mag release without breaking grip. However, using my index finger will require more practice, especially under pressure, as its easier to miss. There's kinks to be worked out in both, but given I'm fairly knew to handguns I don't know what sort of techniques will help with speed as I develop my fundamentals. To the lefties out there, is there any benefit to running the mag release either way? Or am I overcomplicating things? Let me know. Thanks!

I'm left handed!  It will always be faster to keep your grip on the gun and just hit the mag release with your thumb than having to change your grip and hit the mag release with your index finger on the weak side.  I ran a Glock in IDPA and USPSA years ago where I did that release.  It works; however, it's considerable slower than just using your strong hand thumb.  

As you said, don't overcomplicate it!

Thanks for the replies! The goal is to eventually work my way to limited optics once the skill and budget are up to par. That’s generally why I’m having trouble deciding, as the eventual switch to a 2011 style gun would mean I either get a mitchell mag release or I actuate the release with my index finger. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing in the right-hander's world for a while and the trick is to ever-so-slightly break your grip and use the middle of your middle finger to hit the mag release. Not all guns and mag releases are friendly to this technique, but most will be. I use a 2011, a low profile release with a light-ish spring works great.

• 3 months later...

In the case where you have an ambi-mag release, and you can reach said release with your thumb, that's your best option.

However, lefties are not always afforded an ambi release on every firearm.

Have you tried using your middle finger to activate the mag release?

I had to change my method due to a thumb injury and this works great for me.

Edited by SoCalGlocker

I've been using my trigger finger to hit the mag release all my life.  First on 1911s, then on 2011s, then (and currently) on Glocks.  I thought about switching the mag release to the other side when Glock first came out with the option quite a few years ago, but it just didn't feel right, and I was worried that I might "forget" to take my finger off the trigger and get myself DQ'd.

Yeah, I have to break my grip a bit to hit the release, but I'll never get DQ'd for having my finger on the trigger during a reload.  I'm not worried about what method is faster, I'm only playing these games for fun, and am too old to start changing my ways now.

What Cuz just said. Lefty’s trigger finger hits the mag release. Simple. Quick. No grip break, for me anyway. It may be a preference based upon hand size. My hands are small. Large hands may mean a grip break, IDK.

As a LH shooter I used my trigger finger to hit the mag release on my gen 2 Glock 17. Once Glock released a gen that allowed for ambi mag release I quickly switched to right side mag release which I found worked faster for me.  This carried over to my Sig P320 X5 where i can drop a mag quickly on the right side especially with an extended mag release. 

I am new to the 1911/2011 platform and have ordered an MPA and an Atlas, both with RH mag releases. We'll see how that works for me.

• 1 month later...

My wife is a lefty with small hands and started out shooting a Para in Open back in the day. She now shoots a Smith M&P in Carry Optics and prefers the safety release stay on the left side like a 1911. She has always activated it with her trigger finger and doesn't want to change.

I have fairly large hands but I still have to break my grip a little on a 1911 or a 2011 to hit the mag release. I have always done that and have never had any interest in using an extended mag release button. I've never felt like I was slow having to break my grip on a reload, and I've had other shooters tell me over the years that I do some of the fastest reloads they have ever seen.

• 1 month later...