Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Washing Speed Loaders

hummerbk

Does anybody have a way of washing a speed loader while at the range, maybe using something like a golf ball washer?

I shot an IDPA match and my speed loaders were picking up so much sand that it eventually started interfering with my rounds dropping into the cylinder.

A couple of times I could see sand grains on the brass cases.

One or two would hang up about a quarter of an inch and I'd have to push them down to close the cylinder.

I tried blowing them out with compressed air but the sand seems stuck in the holes.

I wash them at home and dry them in the oven on low but after two or three stages they are full of sand again.

It has to be static holding the sand in the six charge holes. it has to be washed and brushed out because compressed air won't do it.

I heard that a soap film will reduce static so the last time I washed them I swished them in some soapy Dawn water and dried them. It didn't make any difference.

The sand adheres to the sides of the holes and some will transfer to the case near the rim causing my issue.

Do you think talc might work. Most of the mica is colored.

Check if your wife has any dryer sheets and give the loaders a wipe with those. That should knock the static down on the plastic and then try the air to clean off any dust. The static will return, so if the dryer sheets work, pack a few in your range bag. 

1 hour ago, 10mmdave said:

Quart Tuperware container with some light soapy water and a can of compressed air maybe ??

Don't forget the drying towel for your hands.

With the carts I see in use at shooting matches whats one more thing or two to lug around 🙂

🤣🤣🤣keep thinking a recliner would fit?

It's expensive, but I've seen guys treat them like moon clips and bring enough of them loaded and ready to go, such that they never re-use one. The same with loaded magazines, I've seen people do as well.

At a local you'd need what, 22 to ensure you never had to re-use a dropped one for a six stage match....

• 2 weeks later...