Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPA Open Ammo

Iggy42

I was just wondering if anyone that is running the MPA Open gun have chrono'd any of the factory 9mm major ammo

I will hopefully be receiving mine soon and since I am not a reloader I am trying to decide which factory options make major with it.  The ones I know of are:

Everglades

Atlanta Arms & Ammo

Blackdot

Outdoor Dynamics

Universal Ammo (if I am reading their website correctly)

If there are others that make major with the MPA offering I would love to hear about it

Yes I know people are just going to say I should make my own, but for several reasons that is just not in the cards at the moment

16 hours ago, waynes_world_45 said:

Black Dot chronoed at 172 out of my Open MPA. I've got some outdoor Dynamics but haven't chronoed it yet. 

ETA...I've run black dot for several years without a hiccup. 

Good to know, thanks

Hopefully someone out there has chorno'd Everglades and Atlanta

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I chrono’ed my Everglades factory ammo yesterday out of my MPA open gun. 172PF pretty consistently.

Unsurprisingly, shooting my own reloads out of this gun showed a significant reduction in velocity due to the popples I figure.  

I’m  not sure why the popples had such minimal effect on the velocity of Everglades rounds but there you have it.

Sure wish I knew what the Everglades recipe is - specifically what powder are they using?

• 1 month later...

I chronoed a few rounds of black dot through my MPA and it was kinda hot at 175-178pf... not sure what was up with that, maybe my chrono was just being crazy those days.

Outdoor dynamics worked with MPA to develop that load so it's going to chrono right around 172pf. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

At gulf coast blackout was 178 out of my open gun (Not an MPA). Every time I chrono black dot it ends up between 178-180. Hot, but it's been very reliable and accurate. I wish it was a little more around 170-172