Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me With The Gripping Of The Gun.

ipscron2000

I'm right handed. I haven't shot a revolver in over 10 years. I started dry firing tonight with my 625 and my grip changed several times and finally settled into this; Right hand holding gun as you would expect. Left hand holding over the right fingers as you would expect a ISPC shooter to do. I seem to put my left thumb on top of and pushing down on my right thumb. And my left index finger is on the trigger guard. I don't EVER shoot my 1911's this way. But in dry firing, it seemed to relieve a little forearm pressure and hold the gun better.

Do any of you do it this way, or just me?

I'm right handed. I haven't shot a revolver in over 10 years. I started dry firing tonight with my 625 and my grip changed several times and finally settled into this; Right hand holding gun as you would expect. Left hand holding over the right fingers as you would expect a ISPC shooter to do. I seem to put my left thumb on top of and pushing down on my right thumb. And my left index finger is on the trigger guard. I don't EVER shoot my 1911's this way. But in dry firing, it seemed to relieve a little forearm pressure and hold the gun better.

I hold just like that. The thumb position gives you a little downward pressure on the gun.

Ron - I hold mine the same way, except that the left index finger is crammed halfway over the right middle finger, wedged in against the bottom of the trigger guard. It helps support the muzzle weight. Having said that, the way that works best for you is the right way.

Ron,

Jerry and a few others shoot that way, it works for them.

I shoot mine like an automatic, with the left thumb on the frame below the cylinder, It works for me.

Try them both, they are the two ways I see people running the BRT!

Good luck, maybe my tendonitis will be ok by the Old Fort Revolver match, hope to see you there.

Hopalong

I shoot my revo like Hopalong, yes Jerry clamps his thumbs , but I don't have a .07 split on my rev anyways. I like the Auto type thumb as I feal it helps on target transition and first shot speed. Dry fire and five and six shot drills are not the same. = Test what you like the best in live fire, with! a timer so that you can review the spits and the center A hits.

after you do an honest self test tell us what you liked the best.

I do shoot Auto and revolver, I am more competitive with the Revolver,

Jamie

When you say left index finger on the trigger guard, you mean under it? or in front of it? I used to shoot a 1911 with finger in front of the trigger guard, but weaned myself off as my fingers just aren't that long.

I find I can get faster splits with right thumb over left thumb as in a 1911. But, that grip tends to beat my thumb joint up more. I now try to curl the right thumb down and rest the left thumb over it.

But, whatever works, feels good and allows suffecient practice is what you should do.

Glad to see a new voice.

When you say left index finger on the trigger guard, you mean under it? or in front of it? I used to shoot a 1911 with finger in front of the trigger guard, but weaned myself off as my fingers just aren't that long.

I find I can get faster splits with right thumb over left thumb as in a 1911. But, that grip tends to beat my thumb joint up more. I now try to curl the right thumb down and rest the left thumb over it.

But, whatever works, feels good and allows suffecient practice is what you should do.

Glad to see a new voice.

I put my left finger on the front of the trigger guard. After years of manual labor, my hands and forearms just arn't as strong as they used to be. I think some is of the pain and stiffness is (carpel tunnel ?????)

I´m doing it the same way - left index Finger around the trigger guard, right thumb on the frame below the cylinder, left thumb over it pressing down.

--> see pics (sorry, I´ve none from the left side)

DVC!

Sascha

(edit for second pic)

post-6018-1135458540_thumb.jpg

post-6018-1135458902_thumb.jpg

Edited by cooper_999

Ron, Sascha,

I know it will feel really weird, but you get more recoil control with the left index finger UNDER the trigger guard. Give it a try this winter while not much shooting is going on....It will take a while to get used to.

Ron, as a converted auto shooter you should not have too much problem with the finger under the grip, remember though when shooting and you have trouble with hits going left even though the sights look correct, the longer trigger stroke on the revolver will cause this for those not used to it. Just add more pressure to the gun with the left thumb, and a little more left had pressure....more with the thumb than with the hand.

Good luck, Sascha give it a try......you can always go back to what you are used to, but I think it is just a little better (for me)

Hopalong

For revolvers I grip with my left thumb over and pushing down on my right thumb, and my left index finger under the trigger guard. I used to put it in front of the trigger guard but found that this can cause shots to be "pushed" left in accuracy intensive games.

I shoot an auto with both thumbs pointed forward (right thumb on top of left), left index finger under the trigger guard. The "accepted" type of grip encountered in action/pratical shooting that was formulated but Brian and Robbie (Thanks guys!).

Good luck, Sascha give it a try......you can always go back to what you are used to, but I think it is just a little better (for me)

Hopalong

mhm....maybe worth trying..... :rolleyes: shall I really start dry-firing to learn this.... :blink:

I´ll get back to you.... ;)

DVC!

Sascha

Glad to see a new voice.

I put my left finger on the front of the trigger guard. After years of manual labor, my hands and forearms just arn't as strong as they used to be. I think some is of the pain and stiffness is (carpel tunnel ?????)

Then I misunderstood. My left index finger is underneath the trigger guard. :)

• 5 months later...

In terms of where the weak-hand index finger goes, my strong preference is the "Ayoob Wedge Hold", where the top of the middle finger contacts the bottom of the trigger guard, then the index finger jams itself under the trigger guard, as shown in the picture below. As Ayoob explains it, a "V-shaped wedge of flesh and bone holds gun on target against trigger jerks that would otherwise snap muzzle down or sideways. If you miss the wedge working at speed, you're still in a solid interlocking wraparound hold." (Stressfire, 1984.)

Physiologically, I believe this technique to be an improvement on the basic wraparound, and I've used it to very good effect for many years.

When it comes to grip, I don't believe a shooter should necessarily "go with what feels natural" or "use whatever works for you." Think about how unnatural it felt the first time somebody showed you how to properly grip a golf club--you just wanted to grab it like a ball bat, didn't you? And yet a baseball grip on a golf club is not very effective in the long run, compared to the several varieties of interlocking grip which have been developed.

There are several methods of gripping a revolver that can work very well. Pick the one that gives you the best stability at speed and learn to do it right. Perhaps most important, hang on to that gun hard. Shooting a revolver with major power factor ammo is no time for "hold it like you're shaking hands" or any of that old bullseye nonsense. We don't have the reciprocating mass of a slide to cause the gun to automatically snap back on target, revolver shooters must rely on the muscle tension of their grip and stance to get that front sight back down where it belongs after every shot. That's right--tension is a good thing for us! So whatever you do, grip it hard with a solid hold that won't shift under recoil, hold it high up on the grip frame, back it up with a stance that keeps your body weight somewhat forward, and don't let your elbows get floppy.

post-4033-1149512350_thumb.jpg

Great advice Mr. Carmony, that last paragraph summarized my technique. I grab the stock hard and a little higher than natural and focus on "disconnecting" my trigger finger.

I'm a beginner, so I keep it simple. But I really liked your reply. Thanx

Good thread!

btw, your younger than I imagined. :-)

Ah, I've got way too many bad habits ingrained to show any pictures of me! :)

I do like to hold the gun with the web of my hand way high up on the grip frame, like Sam is doing in the picture. You can see that cutting away the hammer spur is not just about reducing hammer weight (or making the gun look cool), it actually eliminates the possibility of binding the hammer if the web of the hand goes too high on the draw.

Dr. Dre(mel),

You bring up a good point, in extension of this thread. (No pun intended).

Besides the grip does everyone else lock their elbows? I know that from observing you and Keith, your elbows lock tightly. Is anyone doing this successfully anyother way?

Jim

I'm one of the few guys out there still shooting from a Chapman stance (some called it "modified Weaver", strong arm extended and locked, weak arm pulling back on the strong arm like it's a rifle stock). This method works very well for controlling recoil, and can be wicked fast on plate racks and stuff like that, but it's not particularly flexible for shooting on the move. Gradually, I am working on incorporating the L/E modern isosceles into my game, especially for fast shooting on the move. In the L/E modern isosceles, the gun is extended out in essentially an isosceles stance, the arm muscles are fairly tight, but the elbows are not fully locked.