Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac sport 9mm capacity

Warrior75

I have a tso .40 I have used in limited. I'm thinking of trying limited optics using a tac sport. I was wondering what capacity one could get with 9mm using factory mag tubes and 140mm base pads with grams springs and followers.Is 24 rds reloadable possible? I see the mbx mags say 23+1. So can you get 24 reloadable with those? Thanks

Edited by Warrior75
Spelling

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I'm just curious.  Why do you all think 23 reloadable in not enough?  What is the 24th round going to buy you?

24+1 (shadow 2 with Henning/Rune and a 9lb recoil spring) start buys me no reloads on a 22 round stage with a few make up shots. If I only had 23 I'm planning a reload. The last indoor match I shot had 2 out of 4 stages that were 22 round stages. I'd guess more than 50% of people planned a reload that shot carry optics. On average that probably put me up 3 seconds?

Edited by ColoradoNick

25 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

On average that probably put me up 3 seconds?

I find that hard to believe.  It doesn't take 3 seconds to reload.  I shoot Open with 29+1 and I often plan a reload.  There is always at least one spot where you can reload on the run without costing time.  I only shoot outdoors.  Maybe indoors is different.

I also run two 155s that hold 26 reloadable.  I always download to 25 so they insert with a snick instead of a shove.  I download the 140s by one also.  I stopped chasing capacity a long time ago.  I found it took more time to squeak through a stage with only one of two makeups than it did to reload.  The reason is I was more careful (read slower) with shots.  With lots of extra bullets to spare you can afford to do a little hosing.

24 minutes ago, zzt said:

I find that hard to believe.  It doesn't take 3 seconds to reload.  I shoot Open with 29+1 and I often plan a reload.  There is always at least one spot where you can reload on the run without costing time.  I only shoot outdoors.  Maybe indoors is different.

I also run two 155s that hold 26 reloadable.  I always download to 25 so they insert with a snick instead of a shove.  I download the 140s by one also.  I stopped chasing capacity a long time ago.  I found it took more time to squeak through a stage with only one of two makeups than it did to reload.  The reason is I was more careful (read slower) with shots.  With lots of extra bullets to spare you can afford to do a little hosing.

indoor stages definitely require static reloads more often but I think you would be surprised- my dryfire reloads are about 1.2-1.5 seconds consistently, I’m in A class carry optics. If you factor in the B/C/D/U shooters I wouldn’t be surprised if the average time lost on reloads (especially incorporating poor stage programming) is over 3 seconds. Even good shooters occasionally fumble reloads so if it’s something I can eliminate I’m all for it.  

On 7/2/2023 at 10:21 AM, zzt said:

I'm just curious.  Why do you all think 23 reloadable in not enough?  What is the 24th round going to buy you?

A make up shot on the 24 round, 3 shots per target burner stage at 2019 Nationals. You think it's silly until you need it. Then it's really, really useful to have. 

On 7/2/2023 at 10:34 AM, zzt said:

I find that hard to believe.  It doesn't take 3 seconds to reload.  I shoot Open with 29+1 and I often plan a reload.  There is always at least one spot where you can reload on the run without costing time. 

I stopped chasing capacity a long time ago.  I found it took more time to squeak through a stage with only one of two makeups than it did to reload.  The reason is I was more careful (read slower) with shots.  With lots of extra bullets to spare you can afford to do a little hosing.

Fully agree with this. I moved from an SP-01 production gun to an open Czechmate, and I could care less about mag capacity. FWIW, Grams tuned mags with Grams guts and CZC base pads. While I can easily cram an extra round round in them, I pretty much run my 170 at 28 rounds and my 140s at 22 rounds. They are 100% reliable, and reloads snick in with very little effort. While I learned going 11 for 11 shooting production, it does slow me down because missing sucks, and why would I want to go slow shooting a hi cap division? I also learned how to make a reload in under two footsteps shooting production, and I've yet to see the medium or large COF where I didn't have two steps to cover at some point for the one reload that I'll need shooting hi cap. If that load spot is in the middle of a COF, I'll usually start with 140 because why beat up a 170 for no gain?

If you like the CZ platform like I do, pick some quality base pads and guts, and quit worrying about getting that extra round stuffed inside. I'll take 100% reliable over 99% reliable and one extra BB any day.

Thanks for the replies. I will try either use Henning pads or cz custom. They seem to be the easiest to remove for cleaning. I' ve had good luck with grams and czc springs and followers with my limited gun. 

• 2 weeks later...