Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cz shadow2 turned itself into bullet puller (ares 124gr 1,05 oal)

Suckfast

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit clueless, I load ammo together with 2 of my buddies. We all use a CZ shadow 2 and the same loads (load data below).

However, one of us has had some major reliability issues. Sometimes the rounds seem to not chamber properly, other times it's not an issue.  But last week when unloading the gun he pulled the bullet out of the case. This has happend twice now. When i take a look the bullet has a little divit that looks like it got rammed into the rifling. Is there anything i can do or should he just get his barrel reamed? The crimp is set right and he has to really pull his slide back hard.
I'm loading very short already because the ogive of the bullets is quite weird. So loading shorter isn't really a possibility.

Load date:
Ares 124gr coated bullets
1,05-1,06 oal
 3.7gr lovex d032

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Suckfast

your description suggests your bullet is hitting the rifling and sticking. you have 3 choices; ream the barrel, load shorter, or switch to a different bullet.

it's not at all unusual to see this problem. my shadow2 and my old xdm both had to be loaded to around 1.06 with the fat blue bullets I use.

Agreed.  Bullet is getting stuck in the chamber leade.

You can test for that using the method here (or another, there are several): https://shockbottle.com/faqs-1#100-round-faq--oal 

If it doesn't pop up, scroll down to 

- Ammo fits the gauge but jams in my pistol and it is hard to extract loaded rounds.  What's up with that?

59 minutes ago, Suckfast said:

We all use a CZ shadow 2 and the same loads (load data below).

• Due to milling differences they may not all have the same size chamber. 
  • Load to the most restrictive barrel.
  • Have you learned about "plunk test?" If not do a search on Enos and follow the method, it will fix your OAL problems.

If you can't load any shorter get a different bullet. You will notice TC is very popular because of the OGIVE, I shoot 147 .356 RNFP at 1.12+ in all my Shadow 2s with stock barrels (not reamed). Runs flawlessly.

Thanks for the info guys. I guess reaming it will be. I have told him multiple times but he didn't get it done yet. 
We are in Europe and reaming seems to be a bit more expensive. Most gun makers don't have the right reamers but he should just get it fixed. 

Loading any shorter is going to get hot and i don't want to catch the blame for wrecking his gun.

We plunked his barrel but the bullets need to be so consistent we are pretty much measuring every round. 26.95 mm is no problem but 27.02 is. When plugging my loads into GRT i see that loading any shorter isn't going to be the safest way to handle this.

On 6/7/2023 at 12:01 PM, Suckfast said:

We are in Europe and reaming seems to be a bit more expensive. Most gun makers don't have the right reamers but he should just get it fixed. 

I thought you were in Europe, using Lovex and Ares

You stated that you reload together. But do all 3 of you make your own ammo or do you make 1 batch and use from the same batch?

Did you try ammo that is not crimped? 

I never used Ares bullets but 1.06 (or 26.9 mm) seems short for a S2. I use LOS 124 and load at 28.9 without any problems.

Maybe check http://reloaddata.pl/en/load_by_caliber/1/?sort=bullet&page=4

You might need to register but it can give you some reference at what coal others are loading

Before starting any work on the barrel I would check and recheck and make shure you dont make any mistake during reloading. Maybe (just to make shure) try a couple of other bullets.