Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on laser's

43 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Worth it or not?

Good ones, bad ones?

Recommendations?

I want to use it for hard leans where even an off set dot does not help.

Example would be to hold the gun off my shoulder to shoot around things.

IDPA has a lot of hard leans and peculiar positions.  Great testing grounds for this theory.  I find that the laser is pretty useless under stress. 

I thought it was cool at first but found out every single time it doesn't work for me (its just hard to maintain a right handed grip and still activate the laser and get that laser on target) and I just end up switching shoulders even if I am not very good.

If you want to find out on your own, the hard way, I recommend the Viridian HS1.  Very cool! : )

I have one in green as not to confuse me with my red dot but never use the laser and put it aside.

I think the lasers are only good for trick shots off the hip, but I am not a GM so who knows - I am welcome to being proven wrong and learning something.

Edited by Sniperboy
7 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

IDPA has a lot of hard leans and peculiar positions.  Great testing grounds for this theory.  I find that the laser is pretty useless under stress. 

I thought it was cool at first but found out every single time it doesn't work for me (its just hard to maintain a right handed grip and still activate the laser and get that laser on target) and I just end up switching shoulders even if I am not very good.

If you want to find out on your own, the hard way, I recommend the Viridian HS1.  Very cool! : )

I have one in green as not to confuse me with my red dot but never use the laser and put it aside.

I think the lasers are only good for trick shots off the hip, but I am not a GM so who knows - I am welcome to being proven wrong and learning something.

Thanks,

I was hoping to have a laser that I can turn on and off with a switch

so I could leave it on during the stage and then turn it off.

6 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Thanks,

I was hoping to have a laser that I can turn on and off with a switch

so I could leave it on during the stage and then turn it off.

Couple guys that I see shoot PCC indoors both have lasers that stay on. Seems like it works?

36 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

I have a laser on my jp5 only because I can. I literally never use it.  

59 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

I have a laser on my jp5 only because I can. I literally never use it.  

No problem leaning for you cause you are a youngster but wait until

you cannot lean anymore.

You will need something to make certain shots.

5 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

No problem leaning for you cause you are a youngster but wait until

you cannot lean anymore.

You will need something to make certain shots.

Thanks for helping me feel young ❤️

On 5/22/2023 at 3:16 PM, ColoradoNick said:

Couple guys that I see shoot PCC indoors both have lasers that stay on. Seems like it works?

I have a light/laser on my PCC.  I’ve zeroed the laser at 7 yards.  Useful on an indoor stage, particularly when the stage has a bunch of head shots.

Outdoors I don’t use it much unless I have a really bad lean (laser only).  Don’t even need to have the PCC shouldered if it’s a horrendous lean - just look through the wall where the dot is.

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag

I have used it about a half a dozen times in 3 years.  It works for very unique situations, that you do not run across very often.  It is definitely not required but what I would call a luxury item.

A couple of things to keep in mind that might be useful.  If you intend to use one, practice with it to where you are not surprised by how much it moves at different distances.  I use a green laser and a red dot, so I the brain can easily tell which is which when looking through the dot.  I also tend to use at mostly at start positions, so I have the ability to turn it off quickly without much effort, so just the red dot is on for the rest of the stage.  Obviously this is not required, but I find the less distractions your brain has during a stage run the better off it is.  

As with any aiming device.  You have to train with it for it to have any benefit.  I would not dedicate a ton of time training with it, but do dedicate some time to it. 

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have used it about a half a dozen times in 3 years.  It works for very unique situations, that you do not run across very often.  It is definitely not required but what I would call a luxury item.

A couple of things to keep in mind that might be useful.  If you intend to use one, practice with it to where you are not surprised by how much it moves at different distances.  I use a green laser and a red dot, so I the brain can easily tell which is which when looking through the dot.  I also tend to use at mostly at start positions, so I have the ability to turn it off quickly without much effort, so just the red dot is on for the rest of the stage.  Obviously this is not required, but I find the less distractions your brain has during a stage run the better off it is.  

As with any aiming device.  You have to train with it for it to have any benefit.  I would not dedicate a ton of time training with it, but do dedicate some time to it. 

Good advice thanks,

I have a cheap one coming today.

I plan on taping it on just to see what it does for me.

What brand is the most used?

I don’t think the brand matters when it comes to a reputable laser company. The government puts a limit how powerful they are allowed to be. So all the manufacturers pretty much use the maximum power allowed.

for those who use one, how do you deal with bright days when the sun bleaches out the laser dot?

4 hours ago, blue72 said:

for those who use one, how do you deal with bright days when the sun bleaches out the laser dot?

You don’t for the most part. . Laser are only good for certain applications. In daytime only good to out to 7 yards if you are lucky. 

The laser is almost never used as a primary unless you find yourself at a night match or something. Even then you will be faster using a red dot with a flash light. 

Thanks everyone,

Had to try one so I bought a cheep one.

Mounted it and now I see why most USPSA shooters don't use them.

Very bright on the overcast day I tried it. Today is very sunny and the

laser washed out most of the time.

But I can see its use on very close, hard lean targets.

I'll find out this Sunday in our local match.

I’ve have both a green and red laser

and like the others have said, they’re of very limited use, I’ve used them to shoot a activator popper on the start and with the green laser as a backup sight when my dumb ass forgets to turn on my cmore, the red laser isn’t visible thru the lens of the cmore