Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HD Gold / general eyeglasses questions

Sarge

I have worn HD Gold lenses for shooting only for two years now. They seem to be good lenses. BUT today I wore them for driving all day and had some issues, For one they seemed very bright and I found myself squinting all day. I guess I might not notice that while shooting? Second, I felt kind of queasy all day. Almost like vertigo. They are very mild prescription as I am still 20/20 without glasses at distance. They do have bifocal cut for scoring etc.

My questions are

If you tried HD Golds did you find them to not be dark enough?

Do you think that color led to the queasiness while driving ? Or could it be the slight prescription causing that? Will it most likely fade as I use them more for every day wear.

If I’m still 20/20 should I just ditch the prescription and get regular lenses with bifocal?

I have never worn them for more than shooting.  I think I would consult Hunter's HD.  The owner seem pretty straight forward every time I have talked to him. 

I have always felt the amount of light coming through the lens was the right amount.  Not too much nor too little.  I will say I have never tried to drive using them.   

A quick check on Google does indicate that transition lenses can wear out, which is something I never thought about.  Now that I know this I am glad I only using them for shooting.  

It's my understanding that the gold lenses will not change (or not change as much) when used for driving since the glass blocks a lot of the UV light that actually darkens the lenses.

Just to be certain, are you wearing the gold or ruby lenses for driving?  I was driving with the ruby lenses because they are always darker than my gold lenses and some colors were greatly affected.  For instance, green lights were barely visible.  I talked to Brian @ Hunters HD Gold about it and he said not to use them for driving and that there should have been a warning included with the glasses specifically warning NOT to use the ruby glasses for driving.  The golds are good to go, though. ;) 

As far as the queasiness,  I'd give it a few more days to see if your eyes adjust.  Queasiness is usually a disconnect between what your eyes see and the movement that your inner ear detects.  The slight Rx is likely causing that; I remember when I first got glasses in elementary school, I literally could not walk for a while each time I put the glasses on because my eyes and inner ear were so out of sync.  After a while it went away, but I can't recall how long that took.

12 minutes ago, N3WWN said:

when used for driving since the glass blocks a lot of the UV light

This is true for all Transition lenses and all cars built in the last several decades.

I have a pair of Rx transitions that in bright sunlight you could use for welding goggles they get so dark.  Hop in any car and they are almost clear.

Edited by GigG

my one complaint is they don't get dark enough. maybe my eyes are just really sensitive to sunlight. I find myself having to switch to sunglasses during a match if its really sunny

I’m sensitive to sunlight as well as I have the habit of always wearing sunglasses.  But I don’t find the golds to be too bright and I do think you wouldnt want them too dark shooting at a match anyway.