Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Orange - Round not loading into the chamber/barrel

asn

I have a Shadow 2 Orange, with factory slide spring.  I am using Blazer 124 grain 9MM, mec-gar mags, TTI basepad, and grams 11 coil spring and follower.  The mags, basepad, spring and followers are all fairly new.  

I was at a match a couple weeks back, and my 3rd or 4th shot malfunctioned, as a round didn't end up in the chamber/barrel.  I figured that was a one off, but I was at the range last night, and about 15 rounds into a mag it happened again.  What would cause this?   Do I need a different recoil spring?  If so, which one?  Should I go with the 13 coil springs?  If so, will this change the number of rounds I can use? 

How often are you cleaning the mags? Is the match outdoors? I've seen mags need cleaning after being dropped in the dirt. I used to do a quick take apart, wipe spring and follower, pull a rag through, and reassemble when shooting matches outdoors.

how did you fix it?

I cleaned my mags today,  but they didn't really need it.     I also numbered them to see if it's just one doing something funky.    problem is,  I don't know when I'll be able to test again 

Video gun in action got will tell you what’s wrong, I’m assuming to heavy recoil spring blaze is pretty weak ammo, I run an 8lb in my Czechmate, from factory. Never once did I try that heavy spring . Might be an issue never know 

Was the slide hung up on a round? If so, mag spring is stronger than recoil spring.

Was the slide in battery with no round chambered? If so, load was not hot enough to overcome the recoil spring, get a weaker RS and or lighten the hammer spring

10 hours ago, Mlussoro said:

Video gun in action got will tell you what’s wrong, I’m assuming to heavy recoil spring blaze is pretty weak ammo, I run an 8lb in my Czechmate, from factory. Never once did I try that heavy spring . Might be an issue never know 

10 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

Was the slide hung up on a round? If so, mag spring is stronger than recoil spring.

Was the slide in battery with no round chambered? If so, load was not hot enough to overcome the recoil spring, get a weaker RS and or lighten the hammer spring

Slide was not hung up on a round.  side opened, ejected shell, and closed with no new round in the chamber.  I have the factory recoil spring, and the Cajun extended firing pin and spring, along with an 8# main spring.   By reading both of your replies, sounds like I should try a lighter recoil spring.  FWIW, I didn't change the recoil spring, because my muzzle rise wasn't that bad.  I will order the tuning set from Cajun.  Should I start with the 11#, or the 12#?   Also, I still have the buffer in there.  I'm assuming I should leave it in.

The buffer may be the issue, you just changed dwell time, I know that on my Tangfo I had to stroke the slide to get timing right, I’m guessing you shortened stroke to the point it’s not open long enough for round to pop up in mag. Took me a while to figure this out .  Take buffer out try it see what happens 

I can try it without the buffer.   There is another competition in 2 weeks, I may only make it to the range once before that.  

To be clear, the only springs I have changed were the main spring, the firing pin spring, and the the grams mag springs (11 coil)  The recoil spring, and the buffer are factory.    My muzzle flip was reasonable, so I didn't mess with the recoil spring.

thank you for your suggestions, and help

+1 in the explanation above. Check your follower and spring glide in and out effortlessly from the mag. If not.. Fix it. Polish front or back of follower and /or lightly bend the follower and top spring coil forward or back to align properly with mag etc.. 

I ordered the Cajun GW spring tuning kit, and installed the 11# (yellow) spring.  I figured that would be a good one to start with.  I went to the range tonight, and shot about 300 rounds.  The shells were landing about 6 feet from me, I thought things were good, until a round didn't fully seat in the barrel (See pic below).   I pulled it out and thought it was a 380, but it was marked 9mm.  I don't know if it was off from the factory, or got jammed in when it didn't fully seat.  I only had about 6 rounds left with me.  I shot them without a problem.

Was this the same problem as before, just the 11# spring allowed the round to actually get into the chamber, just not seat into the barrel, or something else?  Maybe just a 1 off?   I do still have the buffer in there, I think I'll pull it out before my competition this weekend.

After getting home, I took it apart.  Does anything look off?  Should I polish the feeding ramp?  (See pics).  If so, what should I use?  Flitz?  

20230424_184603.jpg

20230424_184916.jpg

On 4/14/2023 at 8:26 PM, asn said:

grams 11 coil spring and follower

The issue is probably not with the slide, timing of the slide or even recoil spring. This is a known issue with the magazine feed. 

1. The Grams followers are not the best and have issues with allowing the nose of the bullet to not rise up properly. 

2. It seems the newest grams 11 coil springs are sub standard. Many people in my area shooting CZ are having the same issue, only with the new Grams springs and followers. 

3. Rune Tactical followers and heavier springs seem to fix these issues. https://runetactical.com/product/shadow2-rt11-follower-combo/

4. Tune the mag with the double dowel method. It makes the bullets as they feed up to the top align better. 

Finally, while it's probably not causing you issue, polish the feed ramp until it shines. Best method is 1000+ grit W&D paper followed up with Dremel buffing tip and red compound.

Good luck in figuring this out. From personal experience solving feed issues is really frustrating.

Edited by HesedTech

Don't ignore that bullet setback!  Could be major problems there.  If you've got a safe place to do it, chamber a few rounds from slide-lock and measure them before and after.    

14 hours ago, asn said:

Was this the same problem as before, just the 11# spring allowed the round to actually get into the chamber, just not seat into the barrel, or something else?  Maybe just a 1 off?   I do still have the buffer in there, I think I'll pull it out before my competition this weekend.

Looked at the picture of the failure to feed and the setback round. The same issue happened to a local M shooter I helped him solve. At first a stronger recoil spring was installed, no help. Plunk tested every bullet, not an issue. It came down to the Grams springs, followers and tuning the magazines. Replace the Grams stuff, tuned the mag and like magic no problems. He's at around 4K rounds since the fix with zero problems.

Buffer not an issue. I've ran with and without no differences. I just installed it to hopefully save the slide stop.

I have to add it started with brand new Grams followers and springs installed in Mecgar mag with Henning 140 base. His 140mm MBX mag has zero issues.

Edited by HesedTech

1 minute ago, HesedTech said:

Brass sizing issue during reloading and the bullet is not chambering smoothly.

OP said it was factory ammo, so not chambering smoothly is it, but most factory ammo needs to be smashed pretty hard for it to set back like that.

If its randomly doing that then recoil and ejection is going to be all over the place as the power factor jumps around.

51 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

Buffer not an issue. I've ran with and without no differences. I just installed it to hopefully save the slide stop.

no relation between buffer and slide stop service life.

and to tune properly CM mags   You have to press  the grooves all along the track ,because  most of their  mags are made with internal dimensions that are not suitable for proper work with 9mm ammo.

unfortunately  it is not the only wrong thing in this mags.