Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts on glocks for uspsa

Sigtime

Hey, 

I’m not new to uspsa been shooting it for about Two and a half years now I shoot a sig x5 legion. But I have designed a *thumb rest [generic]* for glocks as so many people have said at the match’s I wish someone made a *thumb rest [generic]* for glocks. 
so now that I have figured one out and got it in the production process I figure I should probably shoot a Glock in matchs with my own part. Looking for advice on guys that shoot glocks in uspsa what models would you guys suggest I see a lot of 17s and 34s its gonna be a CO or CO limited gun. Also been looking at the DR920L shadow systems. Any insite on what are some up sides and down sides of each. 

thanks in advance.

22 hours ago, 42ATK said:

Is the thumb rest production legal?

So production falls under having to fit in the box and glocks being so wide it only gives you about a 1/4 in ledge. I can make one for production if there’s enough call for it. Right now it’s setup for CO/limited Optics/limited.

21 hours ago, truespode said:

If it is made as a part of the gun like a take down lever. I have a thumb rest [generic] *thumb rest [generic]* on my FN509 and it replaces the stock take down lever so it is legal.

Production can’t be wider then 1.675.

So, I shoot CO with 34s. If I had to do it over again, I’d start out with 17s. In CO you no longer  need the longer sight radius that a 34 provides. You can make up for the loss in weight by adding a tungsten guide rod and a heavy mounted flashlight. I’ve never shot a Shadow Systems pistol, but I have owned a Zev. That being said, I’ve found that Glocks really have perfected the platform and their simplicity can’t be beat. Hope this helps. 

On 4/15/2023 at 2:25 PM, dapribek said:

So, I shoot CO with 34s. If I had to do it over again, I’d start out with 17s. In CO you no longer  need the longer sight radius that a 34 provides. You can make up for the loss in weight by adding a tungsten guide rod and a heavy mounted flashlight. I’ve never shot a Shadow Systems pistol, but I have owned a Zev. That being said, I’ve found that Glocks really have perfected the platform and their simplicity can’t be beat. Hope this helps. 

Yeah, glock perfection t a t, 5 times over 40 years now.  

Glocks are like Harley motorbykes.  People buy them, replace half of them, and then say how perfect they are. (But not in production of course)

• 3 months later...
On 4/22/2023 at 7:57 PM, Dicktater_Pete said:

Yeah, glock perfection t a t, 5 times over 40 years now.  

Glocks are like Harley motorbykes.  People buy them, replace half of them, and then say how perfect they are. (But not in production of course)

I shot a Glock 24 in Limited afew years back. Very reliable when stock. It was when I started chasing performance it got wonky. I too replaced half of everything but could never claim perfection. Oh I have experienced the same with Harleys as well. Slow learner her!

I like 34s more than any other, but most of my shooting has been in Production.  I've dabbled in CO with a 34; wonder if even shooting a model 45 with a dot might not be perfect - it'd be a little like shooting one of the old IPSC modified guns, without the poppleholes.... 🙂

5 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

I like 34s more than any other, but most of my shooting has been in Production.  I've dabbled in CO with a 34; wonder if even shooting a model 45 with a dot might not be perfect - it'd be a little like shooting one of the old IPSC modified guns, without the poppleholes.... 🙂

The G45 with a dot rules our SWAT Team.  They swear by the performance.  They are too cheap for Staccatos!! (and I can't blame them)

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

The G45 with a dot rules our SWAT Team.  They swear by the performance.  They are too cheap for Staccatos!! (and I can't blame them)

I don’t see how the 45 could be much different than the 17. Isn’t the only real difference just the half-inch shorter slide/barrel?

6 hours ago, Cuz said:

I don’t see how the 45 could be much different than the 17. Isn’t the only real difference just the half-inch shorter slide/barrel?

Yep.  Lighter faster swing, all the best stuff of the Glock 19, combined with a full-size grip.  When I was getting started the 17 didn't work for me at all - my performance was better using either 34 or 19, when considering speed and accuracy.  Now it matters less.  For sight radius, give me the longer slide every time - in fact my favorite 19 now is the 5th gen 47 slide on a 19 frame, it used to be the third gen 34 slide on a 19 frame with a lone wold adapter - but I was always concerned about reliability there - but for handling give me the shortest gun possible.

With irons: 34>45>19>17 - but those last three positions are close.....

With a dot: TBD.... 🙂

8 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Does the Staccato need more maintenance than a Glock? My Gen 3 3 pin 34 has about 7,000 rounds through it since it was last cleaned - before the '06 Nationals, and it's still running like a champ..... 🙂

If money was no object, I'd send all the SWAT guys to the armorer's course for their preferred platform - just to make sure they had all the info needed to keep their gear running....

5 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

Does the Staccato need more maintenance than a Glock? My Gen 3 3 pin 34 has about 7,000 rounds through it since it was last cleaned - before the '06 Nationals, and it's still running like a champ..... 🙂

If money was no object, I'd send all the SWAT guys to the armorer's course for their preferred platform - just to make sure they had all the info needed to keep their gear running....

You know that answer.  Any 2011 requires more maintenance than a Glock/Sig.  But an average 1911 trigger is better than the best Glock trigger in my opinion.  Much easier to shoot accurately.  

1 hour ago, RangerTrace said:

You know that answer.  Any 2011 requires more maintenance than a Glock/Sig.  But an average 1911 trigger is better than the best Glock trigger in my opinion.  Much easier to shoot accurately.  

I have zero Staccato experience.  2011s - yep, seen my share fail in the competitive arena, usually because the nut behind the gun tried to tinker too much, or went too crazy with mag extensions/followers/springs.  But hey - things could have changed markedly - the Gen 5 Glocks feel in some ways like totally different animals than the Gen 3s and earlier.  🙂

I'll agree with you on the triggers.  On the other hand if you want it to go bang every time you pull the trigger, irrespective of the knowledge depth of the gun driver, or the amount of maintenance it receives..... Glock - accept no substitute....  🙂

28 minutes ago, Nik Habicht said:

I have zero Staccato experience.  2011s - yep, seen my share fail in the competitive arena, usually because the nut behind the gun tried to tinker too much, or went too crazy with mag extensions/followers/springs.  But hey - things could have changed markedly - the Gen 5 Glocks feel in some ways like totally different animals than the Gen 3s and earlier.  🙂

I'll agree with you on the triggers.  On the other hand if you want it to go bang every time you pull the trigger, irrespective of the knowledge depth of the gun driver, or the amount of maintenance it receives..... Glock - accept no substitute....  🙂

Agreed.  Glocks are far from perfection, but they are extremely reliable without question.

I always laugh when I see the "Glock goes bang every time you pull the trigger" nonsense. I was at a match the other day and saw 2 "bolt action" Glocks 😂😂

But they do tend to work pretty good in general 

7 hours ago, RJH said:

I always laugh when I see the "Glock goes bang every time you pull the trigger" nonsense. I was at a match the other day and saw 2 "bolt action" Glocks 😂😂

But they do tend to work pretty good in general 

Lol, yeah, but we’re they stock Glocks, out of the box?  Or were they “enhanced” by someone to make them “more better”???

And, if by some chance it was a stock gun, then I’d like to chrono the ammo they were shooting. I would bet it’s around 115 PF…

52 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Lol, yeah, but we’re they stock Glocks, out of the box?  Or were they “enhanced” by someone to make them “more better”???

And, if by some chance it was a stock gun, then I’d like to chrono the ammo they were shooting. I would bet it’s around 115 PF…

Can't guarantee they were stock, but they did look like it. And were shooting out of the box factory ammo for sure, so.....

3 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Only Glocks I ever go single shot bolt action was when they assembled gun wrong. If slide stop spring is not in correctly the gun won’t work.

Right. The guy who had the bolt action Glock the other day was blaming the factory ammo, and it definitely could have been an issue. But that damn thing did not go bang every time LOL.

14 hours ago, Sarge said:

Only Glocks I ever go single shot bolt action was when they assembled gun wrong. If slide stop spring is not in correctly the gun won’t work.

Actually, it’s very easy to duplicate this event. You simply take your 9mm magazine, loaded with 9mm ammo, and insert it into your Glock 22 pistol and commence firing. 

Ask me how I know…