Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Platypus arrived

mreed911

9 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I shoot Glocks exclusively and although the triggers I installed are top notch, do you think the Platypus trigger would be a significant improvement?

Yes, it's a 1911 trigger.  Much improved, especially if you ask them for a competition weight trigger.

Is the recoil manageable with its aluminum frame?

Yes, although I'm adding some sandpaper grips to mine because of the heat and sweat.  It's fine dry... wet it needs grip tape, etc.

And finally, although I can reach my Glock’s mag release (without a back strap), I just tried my buddy’s STI this morning, and I wasn’t able to depress it without rolling the pistol towards me. Is the Platypus’ grip smaller than a regular 2011’s? And do you think the mag release will be able to be depressed more easily like my Glocks?

It is *slightly* thinner, mostly because there are no grip panels (it's machined in) and the glock mags are slightly narrower.  Without putting one in your hand you're not going to know.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your quick reply! So, I can order one in 2 weeks and hope I can manipulate the safety easily, or wait 3 months to try my buddy’s before ordering. From what you’ve said about the trigger, I’m going to take a chance and order it sooner rather than later! 

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

Interesting, there is a higher priced 2011-ish gun coming out for P320 clips.  Now if they will make one to use my Plastic M&P magazines...  

When did P320's switch to using clips?

2 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

I sometimes say "clip" when "box magazine" is meant just to distract those who think the distinction is the pinnacle of firearms expertise.  

Considering things get ingested into and spat out by search engines, not being intentionally wrong in a way that can mislead others seems like a better approach.

As soon as prodigy mags came out at $40 the allure of a "non standard" 2011 faded for me real quick. Although in reality $100 a mag in not a big deal either. 

I do hope the platypus takes off though, the more options the better

Clips vs mags, I really don't care🤣🤣

But where is the fun in being pedantically correct all the time?

And if you insist on the distinction between "clip" and "magazine", why is a groove diameter measurement of a gun barrel well nigh universally posted as "bore diameter" without objection?

8 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

But what about the second part?  Doesn't seem like many gunboard posters know the difference  between bore and groove diameter.  Why not fix that, too?

Because it wasn't brought up until you got called out - it's a distractor - and doesn't have anything to do with this thread.  Feel free to start one if you'd like it documented for posterity and you can educate us all.

• 1 month later...

I got to handle one at a gun show this weekend......a few things noticed.....its slightly heavier than I thought, apparently around 33oz. The grip texture was the chain link option which was not agressive and kind of slick like the "golf ball" feel mentioned previously. Its apparent that the texture is meant for carry and not aggressive enough for competition. The quality and component fitting is excellent, the mainspring housing blend was totally unnoticable. The slide action was very slick and tight, no roughness or play. The trigger was the flat option and probably around 5lbs but no play and very clean break. Its obviously a slim 2011 because of the machined frame finish without grip panels which is a plus for guys with average hand size.

Overall I think its a winner with either glock or 320 magazine options. The price is a few hundred higher than a Rock Island 2011 or the Springfield Prodigy but well below an entry level Staccato. I think they should offer options that cater to the competition market like an aggressive grip texture, 7-8oz heavier and additional optic plates for popular RDS footprints.

Its a quality piece and the custom options make it a success in my book. Not sure if they have done any torture tests yet, maybe 25k+ rds.

3 hours ago, pumpedTSI said:

Overall I think its a winner with either glock or 320 magazine options.

P320 magazines?  I can't find that on their www.

[quote]The grip texture was the chain link option which was not agressive and kind of slick like the "golf ball" feel mentioned previously. It's apparent that the texture is meant for carry and not aggressive enough for competition. [/quote]

Seen that here and there but no mention of tape or grit that are routinely applied to other guns. Howcome?

Edited by Jim Watson

10 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

P320 magazines?  I can't find that on their www.

[quote]The grip texture was the chain link option which was not agressive and kind of slick like the "golf ball" feel mentioned previously. It's apparent that the texture is meant for carry and not aggressive enough for competition. [/quote]

Seen that here and there but no mention of tape or grit that are routinely applied to other guns. Howcome?

I havent checked the websiye to see if its an option but it might be better for competition guns to get a blank grip panel and install the silicone carbide of your choosing later....

A blank grip panel is not an option. Once the RMR slide cut is offered, I’ll order mine and also order a sheet from Talon grips so I can make my own grip surface once my Platypus arrives. That seems to be the gun’s only shortcoming. A future option is a grip that is less smooth.  I’m not going to wait for that. The RMR option is already 2 months late. If I didn’t already have an SRO ready to mount, I’d have ordered the DPP slide cut months ago!

Edited by dapribek

19 hours ago, dapribek said:

A blank grip panel is not an option. Once the RMR slide cut is offered, I’ll order mine and also order a sheet from Talon grips so I can make my own grip surface once my Platypus arrives. That seems to be the gun’s only shortcoming. A future option is a grip that is less smooth.  I’m not going to wait for that. The RMR option is already 2 months late. If I didn’t already have an SRO ready to mount, I’d have ordered the DPP slide cut months ago!

I'm in the same boat. I plan to pick one up, but I've bought pretty heavily into the RMR pattern mount, and really don't want to deal with another. Though based on wait times and all, I may just order the DPP one if the RMR isn't out by October.