Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chemo port placement

Squirrel45

Well I am done. Done with chemo, and radiation. I have to wait a month or so before a MRI. Until then I plan on trying to be active as possible but find it harder these days. The last two really added to the neuropath and overall fatigue of everything. Around 3 or 4 I'm pretty much cooked for the day. Hopefully it gets better in the next few weeks. 

Thanks again for the support

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today the most generous gesture was ever made to me. Unknown to me a benefit Steel Challenge match was done in my behalf. I was presented a wonderful card and financial support. I have never been at such a loss of words. I never knew who much people care. It really gives me strength knowing I have so many people care about me. Again I am at loss of words, there really are good people out there. I know a few guys who read this post  are a part of this, I am truly blessed having such good friends. 

Bless you all 

Squirrel 

Isn’t it amazing how tight knit this community really is… it’s so awesome to hear and know that the 2A community can come together to help a fellow brother in a time of need… Keep up the fight! We’ll see you on the range…..

These are things we can't do on our own.  Support from family, friends, and Divine help has gotten me thru 6 mo of chemo and three & half weeks hospitalization, following surgery.  Some of my biggest support, other than family, came from my squad mates. I'm still on a long road to recovery but hope to resume shooting by the first of the year.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good news ... Just completed my 90-day post treatment follow up. Cancer is still gone and complications are minor. The thyroid is a little under active at the moment and I'm still having some lymphedema in my neck. Hopefully both will improve with time. As for the thyroid, if it doesn't, there's medication that can deal with it quite well.

Merry Christmas! 

• 4 weeks later...

****UPDATE**** 

I had multiple scans/probes in the last couple weeks, clear. The doctor told me it's as good as could be expected. No surgery no bag. I'll need to be scanned quite a bit for the next few months / years but that's minimal. Iv only been alive for the last 38 years but have learned more this year then I have in the past 37. I'm very grateful to everyone here for the support! 

🐿️

That’s awesome Squirrel, what a great way to start the new year!  Hoping to run into you on the range when Springtime rolls around. 

I hope so too, looking forward to not feeling nauseous or dizzy this year. Can't feel hands or feet but that should, should come back. It's a good feeling knowing I'm not going to by the farm quite yet. 

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see my oncologist this week, first time I've seen her since scope and MRI. First thing that she says "I see you didn't get the surgery". My wife and I were dumbfounded, the surgeon said It was clear but will need probe every few months plus MRI and cat scans. She then went on this lecture that it has a high chance of coming back etc. We really couldn't believe what she was saying. Going into this visit I thought I was going to be high fives and a lesson about wasn't it good that you finished chemo. I'm not sure who to really believe now. I would have thought these people talk to each other, yeah. I have confidence in the surgeon he's worked on many many people with great success and when he tells me no surgery at this time, it's no surgery at this time. Things were going good really well for month. Might get a second opinion, I want what's best not what's convenient. Next scan is in early April at this point. I guess it's not really over like I sort have thought. 

Thanks again for everyone's much  appreciated support

Edited by Squirrel45
Added information

Squirrel, we're going through kind of the same thing. My wife was put on an oral medication that shrunk her tumor over 1/2 and when she went back to see the surgeon he said "mastectomy"! My wife was devastated, as the tumor is the size of a coughdrop! He said "I'll send the plastic surgeon in to talk to you about reconstruction". The plastic surgeon came in and checked her and told her "I highly recommend you get a second opinion!" She went back and talked to her oncologist, who referred her to a Dr. at the Breast Surgery Institute in Albuquerque. She met with that Dr. there and is scheduled for a lumpectomy next week!

My wife is an RN and she said that quite often Drs. DO NOT interact and coordinate like they should. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

On 1/29/2024 at 1:17 PM, 392heminut said:

Squirrel, we're going through kind of the same thing. My wife was put on an oral medication that shrunk her tumor over 1/2 and when she went back to see the surgeon he said "mastectomy"! My wife was devastated, as the tumor is the size of a coughdrop! He said "I'll send the plastic surgeon in to talk to you about reconstruction". The plastic surgeon came in and checked her and told her "I highly recommend you get a second opinion!" She went back and talked to her oncologist, who referred her to a Dr. at the Breast Surgery Institute in Albuquerque. She met with that Dr. there and is scheduled for a lumpectomy next week!

My wife is an RN and she said that quite often Drs. DO NOT interact and coordinate like they should. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why aren't these people on the same page. It really ticks me off when one side says your doing great and the other is saying your screwed. Sorry just getting frustrated with this. It's not that I wasn't before, chemo & radiation but those were cut and dry. Now it's to the point that the left hand doesn't know what the rights doing 😠

19 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Why aren't these people on the same page. It really ticks me off when one side says your doing great and the other is saying your screwed. Sorry just getting frustrated with this. It's not that I wasn't before, chemo & radiation but those were cut and dry. Now it's to the point that the left hand doesn't know what the rights doing 😠

It sure seems like the more communication tools we acquire the less gets done. I don’t know how it is in your area but lately around here it takes forever to get anything done. Appointment are months out and results take several weeks to get back. They complain about the workload but the waiting rooms are empty when you get there. Makes no sense. 

Sure does, progress at a snails pace. The worse part is communication by far. How many ways can you talk to someone these days 5 ways plus. Yet it's as of I'm talking to different planets. Not to get to far into the weeds but one doctor says to monitor and see if it progresses the other wants to do radical surgery that will impact my life drastically, especially at my age. I however can not complain about the care I have received to this point. I wish everyone was reading the same book at least I understand the same page is a bit much to ask. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 3:50 PM, Squirrel45 said:

Sure does, progress at a snails pace. The worse part is communication by far. How many ways can you talk to someone these days 5 ways plus. Yet it's as of I'm talking to different planets. Not to get to far into the weeds but one doctor says to monitor and see if it progresses the other wants to do radical surgery that will impact my life drastically, especially at my age. I however can not complain about the care I have received to this point. I wish everyone was reading the same book at least I understand the same page is a bit much to ask. 

Really makes you want to grab them by the neck, drag them all it to the same room and ask them WTF? Of course then they’d all sit there, not say anything and just look stupid.  

22 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Really makes you want to grab them by the neck, drag them all it to the same room and ask them WTF? Of course then they’d all sit there, not say anything and just look stupid.  

I have sent a letter to the hospital requesting a hearing on the f is going on. Currently I have not heard back on this. What I know I was in a good place for once in the past year and then this. Well at least I got a couple weeks with out worrying. Next probe in 6 or 7 weeks. One thing that I have learned is that if you want anything don't you must be your own advocate, fact. 

3 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

I have sent a letter to the hospital requesting a hearing on the f is going on. Currently I have not heard back on this. What I know I was in a good place for once in the past year and then this. Well at least I got a couple weeks with out worrying. Next probe in 6 or 7 weeks. One thing that I have learned is that if you want anything don't you must be your own advocate, fact. 

You certainly have that right!! My wife fell and broke her hip in July. We went to the e-room to get an X-ray and at the time her knee hurt worse than the hip. Well they didn’t see anything so they put her knee in a brace and sent us home. No one thought of looking at anything else for the cause of the pain. I took her home and made her as comfortable as I could and sort of checked her out myself.  We even went to an orthopedic Dr and he just tugged on it and said it probably was an impingement. She said if that leg would have worked she would have kicked him in the balls when he pulled on it. She finally had enough and we went back and told them to X-ray the whole leg. Sure enough she broke it on the neck of the ball so we went to the local hospital 40 miles away that does surgery and waited another 2.5 hrs in their Emergency Room. Of course it had already been over 10 days so what’s a couple more hrs. Like you said you have to just constantly push push push to get anything done. 

Edited by Farmer