Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chemo port placement

Squirrel45

I tried some ensure today and threw that up 20 minutes later. First time I've had this reaction. Not sure if it's the chemo or radiation or my gut doesn't like it. Pretty crappy when you upchucking at work and didn't expect it 😣

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Going on week 3 of chemo & radiation. One thing iv noticed besides the usual junk is my vision has blurry moments at times. Its kinda weird to describe but loss of focus is basically it. After about a half to second I'm fine. Is this that chemo fog ?

Yep ... That can happen.  I didn't have that problem, but I was warned it was possible.

Be aware, and I'm sorry to say this ... Things will tend to get progressively worse as your treatment goes on.  It's the nature of the beast.  My oncology team told me this, but I kind of sluffed it off ... until it got worse!  The effects of both chemo and radiation are cummulative in nature.

Good luck, and keep fighting!

Talk to your radiation oncologist concerning realistic expectations post radiation treatments.  The effects last longer than I thought they would.  (My last radiation was 20 Feb ... It took several weeks for the direct effects from that to cease.  I'm still dealing with the healing process in the irradiated areas.)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been another week 4 of 6 as of today. Did any of you guys experience high levels of pain? Iv been in pain for months but currently my pain is off the charts. It's gotten to the point iv been put on hydromorphone which honestly I'm not that impressed with. At least it does something to move the needle. Iv been prescribed tramadol, vicadin and oxy prior to this one. Anyone else get this much pain from radiation ? 

Thanks

🐿️

• 1 month later...

I want to give an update on my situation as a few have personally messaged me. 

I have finished radiation and oral chemo as of three weeks ago. Currently I'm in some pain but getting better for the most part. It sure feels good not having to do that 5 days a week. Aside from my lack of strength I feel pretty good. Iv lost 45 plus pounds. I start 4 months of chemo on the 10th I'm not looking forward to enduring that but no it's necessary I think. 

At this point iv learned two things, be very grateful for what you have and be very thankful for those who care about you. It really helps me when friends reach out and ask how are you. I never knew in 37 years how much a few words could uplift ones soul on a depressing day. 

Thank you again

God Bless

Squirrel 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I started infusion chemo yesterday. Feel a little tired and dopey. Aside from that my jaw really hurts but swallowing isn't to bad. The biggest pain is carrying this chemo pump around with me 😒. I hope this pays off! 

I've been on that regiment for awhile.  I'm on my 9th session with 3 more to go.  Get the pump removed tomorrow and then 11 days of "freedom".  Be sure they keep a close eye on your white cell count and neutrophils !!  Mine went in the toilet between session 1 and 2.  At that point anything can trigger an infection and I spent 5 days in the hospital with heavy IV antibiotics.  After that, I started getting an injection of Pegfilgrastim when my pump gets removed.  It's an immune system booster that's worked perfect!  Get some oversized shirts or order a "chemo shirt" with the zippers at the shoulders.  They work great for your 46 hours on the pump and hookup for the port.  If I can help you with any suggestions, just message me on FB....Larry Hemmens

Hey @Squirrel45 ... Glad to hear your treatment is progressing.  I'm sure your oncologist will monitor your labs CLOSELY.  (Mine did!) Kind of like the radiation, the chemo tends to be cumulative and get nastier with each treatment.  Kind of the nature of the beast.  (Sorry ...)

Good luck, and hang in there!

3 hours ago, trekp1 said:

I've been on that regiment for awhile.  I'm on my 9th session with 3 more to go.  Get the pump removed tomorrow and then 11 days of "freedom".  Be sure they keep a close eye on your white cell count and neutrophils !!  Mine went in the toilet between session 1 and 2.  At that point anything can trigger an infection and I spent 5 days in the hospital with heavy IV antibiotics.  After that, I started getting an injection of Pegfilgrastim when my pump gets removed.  It's an immune system booster that's worked perfect!  Get some oversized shirts or order a "chemo shirt" with the zippers at the shoulders.  They work great for your 46 hours on the pump and hookup for the port.  If I can help you with any suggestions, just message me on FB....Larry Hemmens

Thanks Larry I'm on folfox 5 I hope it's not to bad. So far iv only had "first bite pain" with some trouble swallowing cold drinks, and some minor fatigue. Overall not really to bad. Im going to order up one of them shirts. 

Thanks 👍

2 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Hey @Squirrel45 ... Glad to hear your treatment is progressing.  I'm sure your oncologist will monitor your labs CLOSELY.  (Mine did!) Kind of like the radiation, the chemo tends to be cumulative and get nastier with each treatment.  Kind of the nature of the beast.  (Sorry ...)

Good luck, and hang in there!

Thanks buddy I hope it's not as bad as the radiation was at the end. According to the Dr this is much easier then the radiation I'll believe it when it's done.  My worst fear is the neuropathy.

Best of luck. I’m a Cisaplatin survivor myself. Taste eventually got better. Don’t know if it was the chemo or the radiation aimed at the back of my mouth. Also experienced extreme nausea. Long term effects were a bit of chemo brain and a bit of neorothopy. Better than the alternative.