Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chemo port placement

Squirrel45

3 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Yeah, I've got a little neuropathy in my big toes.  Not much.  Hopefully it'll eventually go away.

My drug was Cisplatin.  It seemed to also affect sense of taste.  Hopefully that'll go back to normal too.

A friend of mine is on that one right now. He says the same about taste. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Best of luck. I’m a Cisaplatin survivor myself. Taste eventually got better. Don’t know if it was the chemo or the radiation aimed at the back of my mouth. Also experienced extreme nausea. Long term effects were a bit of chemo brain and a bit of neorothopy. Better than the alternative.

You have a lot of my respect and sympathy. There is another survivor on this thread who had throat cancer as well. What you guys went through is absolute hell. Thank you for the support 

4 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Best of luck. I’m a Cisaplatin survivor myself. Taste eventually got better. Don’t know if it was the chemo or the radiation aimed at the back of my mouth. Also experienced extreme nausea. Long term effects were a bit of chemo brain and a bit of neorothopy. Better than the alternative.

Yea, chemo brain!  I've noticed it from time to time ... But my wife would tell you that's been my normal for 20-30 years!

🤣

• 1 month later...

Well I'm down over 50lbs from 248lbs at the beginning to 196lbs currently. I needed to loose weight but I'm getting pretty light, I'm 6'3". I made it through 3 out of 8 chemotherapy cycle. It's a pain in rear, get 2 hrs of chemo then a pump for 46hrs go back and unhook. Get a week off and do it again . On Monday I feel ehh okay aside from wearing that fanny pack, by Thursday Im pretty much at my low. The positive is that I seem to be ehh okay sorta by Friday and by Monday the following week I'm noticably better. By the time I hit Wednesday I'm back to 85+ percent. The most depressing is knowing I'm going back down hill the following Monday. Side effects vary but nausea and fatigue are the worst. I have not stopped though. I mostly shoot Steel Challenge and while I had to back off with pistols due to shakyness I made GM in 3 out of the 4 rifle classes. I force myself to practice and keep at it. I would not be able to do any of this without my wife though. For people going through this without anyone must be truly a massive undertaking. I'm worried about school starting again though not sure I'm going to be able to make it through the chemo weeks, have to see how that plays out. Might be week in week off, don't want to stop! 😤I thought I would let you all know how I'm progressing at this. 

Take care and thanks for the support 

🐿️

Edited by Squirrel45
Typos

Hey Squirrel,

I’m so happy to hear your still out there shooting matches & congrats on making GM on those disciplines.. it’s nice to know you have a partner to stand with you through these tough times, and I know you still have a long way to go, but like you said “you force yourself to practice” you have to force yourself to continue the fight no matter how long it takes and how tough it gets… good luck Buddy, God Bless you and your wife…. We’re praying for you….. I’ll see you at Range…

Lee

Good to see you're still hanging in there and shooting!  I start my last (#12) session on Monday with pump removal on Wednesday. 🙏  I'm told everything is going beyond expectations.  The last 2 weeks have been the toughest.  The neuropathy and nausea have started to be a problem.  TG for the nausea drugs....they work.  I have consults with my endocrinologist and surgical team near the end of the month.  They're giving me until the end of September to recover a bit from chemo before surgery.  I'm shooting as much as possible with GREAT support from my squad.  Pistol is way too shaky at this point.  At least PCC keeps me in the game.  Glad they added Distinguished Senior to USPSA.  Now, I only bump heads with guys 8 years younger. 🤣 When I'm having a down day,  just interacting with my shooting groups is the magic potion. 🥰

Hey @Squirrel45

Glad to hear you're hanging in there.  Yeah, Chemo's a BITCH!  But they kind of pointed out to me that cancer is fatal and you will likely survive and recover from chemo ... So far, they’re right.  I finished chemo and radiation back in February – I’m still here; the cancer is gone!

The only shooting I’ve done since was for my CCW.  It was embarrassing!  My usual 3” group couldn’t even be contained on an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper.  I got enough hits to qualify, but damn!  I’m still trying to build muscle mass back and have some neurological issues, but this is all temporary – or so I’m told.

Your weekly pattern is all too familiar, I’m sorry to say.  Hang in there and keep going as long as your oncologist says it’s safe to continue.  I wanted to quit, but no one would give me permission to do so … Thank the gods!

Hold your wife dear.  Were it not for mine, I would have crawled into a corner and waited for the end.  She wouldn’t let me.  Hang in there.  Don’t worry about school, work, or much else.  Get through the chemo and you’ll have the rest of your life to catch up on all that!

13 hours ago, trekp1 said:

Good to see you're still hanging in there and shooting!  I start my last (#12) session on Monday with pump removal on Wednesday. 🙏  I'm told everything is going beyond expectations.  The last 2 weeks have been the toughest.  The neuropathy and nausea have started to be a problem.  TG for the nausea drugs....they work.  I have consults with my endocrinologist and surgical team near the end of the month.  They're giving me until the end of September to recover a bit from chemo before surgery.  I'm shooting as much as possible with GREAT support from my squad.  Pistol is way too shaky at this point.  At least PCC keeps me in the game.  Glad they added Distinguished Senior to USPSA.  Now, I only bump heads with guys 8 years younger. 🤣 When I'm having a down day,  just interacting with my shooting groups is the magic potion. 🥰

I hear you 100% the neuropathy is pretty scary stuff. I lost two fingers and thumb on my left. Have you tried cymbolta not sure spelling. It's supposed to help with the never damage. I know we will make it through this but the road there is a real s.o.b 

Edited by Squirrel45

8 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Hey @Squirrel45

Glad to hear you're hanging in there.  Yeah, Chemo's a BITCH!  But they kind of pointed out to me that cancer is fatal and you will likely survive and recover from chemo ... So far, they’re right.  I finished chemo and radiation back in February – I’m still here; the cancer is gone!

The only shooting I’ve done since was for my CCW.  It was embarrassing!  My usual 3” group couldn’t even be contained on an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper.  I got enough hits to qualify, but damn!  I’m still trying to build muscle mass back and have some neurological issues, but this is all temporary – or so I’m told.

Your weekly pattern is all too familiar, I’m sorry to say.  Hang in there and keep going as long as your oncologist says it’s safe to continue.  I wanted to quit, but no one would give me permission to do so … Thank the gods!

Hold your wife dear.  Were it not for mine, I would have crawled into a corner and waited for the end.  She wouldn’t let me.  Hang in there.  Don’t worry about school, work, or much else.  Get through the chemo and you’ll have the rest of your life to catch up on all that!

Wanting to quit, I completely hear that. Example just today shot a 6 stage steel Challenge, came home worked on a tractor for two hours, mowed lawn, did some other outside junk. Had three beers. Life seems almost normal. Knowing Monday is coming is like taking a perfectly good car and driving it into a tree. But just like you said the end game is worth it and the short game is temporary. Thanks so much for the support! 

21 hours ago, Leezway said:

Hey Squirrel,

I’m so happy to hear your still out there shooting matches & congrats on making GM on those disciplines.. it’s nice to know you have a partner to stand with you through these tough times, and I know you still have a long way to go, but like you said “you force yourself to practice” you have to force yourself to continue the fight no matter how long it takes and how tough it gets… good luck Buddy, God Bless you and your wife…. We’re praying for you….. I’ll see you at Range…

Lee

Thanks buddy I'm hoping to get out as much as I can. I just have to pace myself these days more then I like. 

On 7/11/2023 at 3:16 PM, Schutzenmeister said:

Yeah, I've got a little neuropathy in my big toes.  Not much.  Hopefully it'll eventually go away.

My drug was Cisplatin.  It seemed to also affect sense of taste.  Hopefully that'll go back to normal too.

On 7/11/2023 at 3:27 PM, Mcfoto said:

Its been a while since I checked in here, Squirrel.  Glad to hear you're coming along.  

My situation was very similar to what others have described here.  I went from about 200 lbs down to 155 lbs during my six weeks of radiation and chemo.  But back to 195 now.  

Again, am so happy you're doing well - considering the circumstances.  Hang in there and keep us updated.  

On 8/25/2023 at 8:03 AM, varminter22 said:

Its been a while since I checked in here, Squirrel.  Glad to hear you're coming along.  

My situation was very similar to what others have described here.  I went from about 200 lbs down to 155 lbs during my six weeks of radiation and chemo.  But back to 195 now.  

Again, am so happy you're doing well - considering the circumstances.  Hang in there and keep us updated.  

Thanks man, I'm giving it my best and I don't like to quit to OCD for that crap. 

• 1 month later...

After having a rough go at it the last chemo I was committed to quit. After getting yelled at by doctor and scaring the crap out of me and my wife I continued. Only one more to go on the 16th and done. It hasn't been fun, and hope it was worth it. All I got to say at this point is 🤬 cancer. 

@Squirrel45

I hear you.  By the end of my treatments last February I was asking my wife and treatment team to please let me die.  I wasn't joking.

Fortunately, they kept me going and I'm currently cancer free.  I've still got a ways to go to recover from the treatments (especially the radiation), but things are better now.

Hang in there my friend.  It's a long road, but it's worth it in the end.

14 minutes ago, Schutzenmeister said:

@Squirrel45

I hear you.  By the end of my treatments last February I was asking my wife and treatment team to please let me die.  I wasn't joking.

Fortunately, they kept me going and I'm currently cancer free.  I've still got a ways to go to recover from the treatments (especially the radiation), but things are better now.

Hang in there my friend.  It's a long road, but it's worth it in the end.

Thanks man, I totally understand the mindset. It's hard to describe unless you go through it. I wanted so badly to stop, everyone was jumping on me about it. I understand I have a great deal to live for, a one year old a five year old and a great wife. I don't want to die I just want to be able to feel my hands and feet without them tingling/ hurting. That was / is my greatest fear, then again death is permanent and I'm not going there. It's hard to describe how one feels going through it until you have. Since this started you have  Been there and I really appreciate the connection, it helps me out a lot 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Praying for you Squirrel, my oldest son went through the same thing. It was a fight but he is doing really good now. My wife was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer and will be starting chemo within the next week or so. Reading what you guys have had to go through has helped me prepare for whats ahead, so thank you for taking the time to make these posts.

I didn't know much about my son's battle with throat cancer, he didn't tell most of the family and downplayed it until he was through it. He was living in Alaska and we're in New Mexico so we were kind of in the dark about it all until he came to visit after he was done with everything. He got to the house and when I walked into the living room and saw what he looked like I started crying!

Out of our 6 kids and the two granddaughters we raised, he was the one who took it hardest when he found out his mother had cancer. He literally lost it over the phone!

Fortunately, my wife has been an RN for years and already knows what is ahead. Me, I'm learning as we go.

It's done. Yesterday was my last day of being poisoned. Now I'll have to wait a bit for the biopsy and scan. After that probably surgery but unknown at this point. I can't wait to start feeling better getting off the chemo coaster. 

Thanks for the support 

Squirrel 

Edited by Squirrel45

On 10/21/2023 at 3:48 PM, 392heminut said:

That's great news Squirrel! My son said to tell you to work and stretch your neck muscles if you haven't already started doing that. He said his still cramp on him two years later.

I second that (all of the above).