Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chemo port placement

Squirrel45

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently doing some heavy chemo, myself.  Had this very conversation with my oncologist.I had the port placed on my weak side (left for me).  I primarily shoot PCC.  The port position is far enough "inboard" that I can still get a decent hold (not ideal) on the weak side. But, it's keeping me in the game and allows me to get out and socialize with my squad.  These days, that's become more important than ever.  Good luck with your treatment and take it a day at a time.

Thanks guys going to try my best. I start w both "treatments" next week. I think I'll try to get it on my left being right handed. I'm still signing up for matches and hope to make them. I know I'm not going to be on, but I have to keep going. 

Well I got plumbed up this morning. Nurses and Doctors did a nice job. It is in my right side though. He said after the imininging the left side would be more complex. Told him I shoot etc. He didn't think It would be an issue. It seems pretty far out of the way though. I mostly shoot PCC and rfr. On the occasion I shoot hight power I'll wear a pad. Thanks for the support 

Glad you had no problems getting your port installed.  I shot a match Thursday night with my squad and had a great time.  Got a bit winded but the fun of shooting with my friends more than made up for it.

I actually shot a 6 stage SC the following morning. I'm not sure if that was a great idea but I was so ticked that I want to shoot just for spite. Im 37 and still feel very much bullet proof at least bullet resistant. 

On 4/7/2023 at 10:30 AM, Squirrel45 said:

Well I got plumbed up this morning. Nurses and Doctors did a nice job. It is in my right side though. He said after the imininging the left side would be more complex. Told him I shoot etc. He didn't think It would be an issue. It seems pretty far out of the way though. I mostly shoot PCC and rfr. On the occasion I shoot hight power I'll wear a pad. Thanks for the support 

Best wishes to you. Would have suggested right chest as well. Believe it or not, right side is the optimal location as it a straight shot to your superior vena cava (no pun intended) will less likely to migrate or kink. 
Good luck with treatments.

Sorry one more suggestion. The next 7 days will be the most crucial point as infection is the number 1 complication of portacath. Keep it clean and follow your discharge instructions. If you need more info, please PM me.

Edited by palcapt

I had a port put in the right side of my chest Sept 2022 and it's still in. I did some heavy chemo throughout the winter and shot some indoor matches. I've lost over 40 pounds from the time I started chemo 205 down to 165. Anyway I have had no problem at all with dry fire or matches with pistols. I have not and will not try PCC or rifle. I think my port could be damaged from recoil. 

Edited by ohsevenflhx
misspell

Had an incredible day yesterday.  All lab results came back favorable and ended up top dog at our weekly club match.  FYI...absolutely no problems shooting PCC with the port.  My PCC's have very little recoil.  As stated earlier, my medical team saw no problems placing it on my "weak/left" side.  Even weak side stages have been less of a problem than anticipated.  Stay hydrated and as active as possible without overdoing it. We got this !!😇

13 hours ago, trekp1 said:

Had an incredible day yesterday.  All lab results came back favorable and ended up top dog at our weekly club match.  FYI...absolutely no problems shooting PCC with the port.  My PCC's have very little recoil.  As stated earlier, my medical team saw no problems placing it on my "weak/left" side.  Even weak side stages have been less of a problem than anticipated.  Stay hydrated and as active as possible without overdoing it. We got this !!😇

Nice, doing well is the best medicine. Things that seemed so ordinary and easy before seem like a major accomplishment these days. I hope  you have more of those days soon enough!

I too had chemo, but didn't have a port installed.  For six weeks, they inserted it into my wrist once a week for chemo, and I had daily (five days a week) radiation.  

The doc said some folks sail through it.  And I sincerely hope you will!  

Unfortunately, I didn't "sail".  First couple of weeks were okay, but it got progressively harder on me.  Cancer was in my throat and the radiation really fried my sense of taste.  Couldn't eat a thing.  Had feeding tube installed straight into my stomach.  As someone else said, I went from about 200 lbs, down to 155 lbs.  

I wish you the absolute best!  Sail right through it!  And kick that nasty C word.  

@varminter22

I just went through the same protocols recently at Mayo for the same cancer, except mine was 7 weeks.  You've described it politely, but well.  It's been 8 weeks since my last radiation and I'm still trying to "earn" my way off the feeding tube.  I'm hoping that at my follow up appointment at the end of May I can have that removed.

I'm struggling to regain the strength and endurance I had just last fall, before the "treatment" began.  I guess I'll just have to hang on until the end of May to find out if they got all of the cancer or not.  Waiting is the worst.

2 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

@varminter22

Waiting is the worst.

I sure feel for ya.  I had that darned feeding tube for about four months.  And for about another year after that I was just drinking Boost to survive.  Food tasted THAT horrible.  But now I'm eating everything! I'm back up to about 195 lbs.  

I agree about the waiting.  And it goes on for a while.  I did check ups every three months, then every six months.  Then at my first one-year check up, they found cancer again, this time on larynx.  Luckily, stage one; radiation did the trick (so far, anyway).  I'm getting my first six-month check up (for this go around) in June.  

We gotta hang in there!  And try to exercise as much as feasble.  You can do it!  

6 hours ago, varminter22 said:

I sure feel for ya.  I had that darned feeding tube for about four months.  And for about another year after that I was just drinking Boost to survive.  Food tasted THAT horrible.  But now I'm eating everything! I'm back up to about 195 lbs.  

I agree about the waiting.  And it goes on for a while.  I did check ups every three months, then every six months.  Then at my first one-year check up, they found cancer again, this time on larynx.  Luckily, stage one; radiation did the trick (so far, anyway).  I'm getting my first six-month check up (for this go around) in June.  

We gotta hang in there!  And try to exercise as much as feasble.  You can do it!  

You sound like my "older brother" in this!  I have my 1st check up at the end of May ... Then we find out how the torture did.  You're right ... Boost is HORRIBLE.  But I am drinking it as opposed to using the tube so I can get rid of the tube and bags.  NOTHING tastes quite right yet.

FWIW, my cancer started at the larynx and went all the way to the sides of the tounge ... and everything inbetween.  It had also spread to 2 lymph nodes (not good, but they appear to have shrunk back to normal size now.)  I'm just starting to get where I can actually (almost) swallow most foods again.  I'll be happy to get back to 165 before my checkup!

All three of my dieticians have told me to load up on carbs and protiens and eat 4 to 6 times per day.  So far, I've been able to gain a few pounds doing it.  Limited workouts have helped keep up the appetite and shooting matches is keeping me happy.

Edited by trekp1

3 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Loosing weight seems to be an issue for everyone all around. I lost 21 in two weeks. That was even before treatment. I'm getting told that if I don't stay where I am it's going to be an issue 

If you're having trouble eating, you might try drinking Boost (or another brand).  

When I couldn't eat, I was drinking seven or eight bottles of Boost per day.  

Regular Boost is about 350 cal/8 oz container ... There is a "very high calorie" version that is 530 cal/ 8 oz container.  It's thicker and  gaggier than it's thiner cousin, but you don't have to drink as many of them.  I find mixing it 50/50 with my coffee to help ... Same calories, more liquid, a little less gag.

If you can't find it locally, you can order it online from several vendors.  (It's made by Nestle.)