Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140 grain 40 minor loads

rishii

5 hours ago, rishii said:

Now that open lite is becoming a reality, I’m looking at 40 minor loads

has anyone tried S&S bullets 140 gn coated bullet and how did you like them

https://www.snscasting.com/40-s-w-140-grain-flat-point-red-coated-500ct/

Have not tried SNS, but I’ve tried Bayou 140 and 155’s ,but really liked the 140 TC. Accuracy was good and surprisingly point of impact was very close to my 180 major load 

I did some playing around with loads down to 140. Keeping powder & OAL the same, from my notebook...

180gr gave 172pf

155gr gave 140pf

140gr gave 122pf

Using the 180s or 155s, POI was the same at 20yrds and no recoil spring swap was needed. Using 140s, a lighter recoil spring was a must for reliable cycling and POI only shifted slightly. 

2 hours ago, MikeRussell said:

I did some playing around with loads down to 140. Keeping powder & OAL the same, from my notebook...

180gr gave 172pf

155gr gave 140pf

140gr gave 122pf

Using the 180s or 155s, POI was the same at 20yrds and no recoil spring swap was needed. Using 140s, a lighter recoil spring was a must for reliable cycling and POI only shifted slightly. 

I had nearly the same results.
When I only shot IDPA I loaded 140's but gun had to be sprung and zeroed for the 140's and I wouldnt shoot factory ammo in it. Plus powder charge had to be adjusted and basically purpose load 140's to get to 130 pf. 
Once I started other games I found 155's way easier to deal with.
Load 180 at major, then buy same brand and profile of 155.. Do nothing to press, powder charge or gun.. Simply swap out to 155's.  POI will be the same and gun will run fine and also run factory ammo..  I shot alot of American Eagle 165's  They made about 1020 out of my Para 5"

53 minutes ago, rishii said:

Thanks for the info

I’m loading 165 blues in my 6” limited gun and thinking of putting a dot on it and I was hoping to use the same load for both

this helps a bunch, thanks again

If you're running 165gr major loads, if it was me, I would try an experiment of not changing a thing on the press and drop in 140s to see how they turn out. I'm betting you'll be just over minor pf and your POI may not need adjustment. 

3 minutes ago, MikeRussell said:

If you're running 165gr major loads, if it was me, I would try an experiment of not changing a thing on the press and drop in 140s to see how they turn out. I'm betting you'll be just over minor pf and your POI may not need adjustment. 

Many moons ago when I was doing both IDPA and USPSA, I would use my Limited .40 load and switch from 180 grain to 155 grain and change nothing else. Worked fine ESP.

I didn't want to have to change recoil springs at the time.  So, I stayed with 155s @ 140 PF and 180s @ 172.  I later switched to 165s for major.  Same spring; same POI.  40sw @ 140 PF shoots softer and flatter than 132 PF in 9mm.  It was quieter as well.