Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas 170 mags and Eley Super Comp ammo

GJM

Ed Cameron recently built me a 2011 in Super Comp. I started using the Eley ammo. The rounds seem tight  (overall length, front to back dimension) in Atlas 170 mags. when I strip one cartridge out, the next round doesn't pop right up like I would expect. 

I have been quite pleased with the Atlas mags shooting 9 major and minor in another Cameron 9 major pistol. 

when I tried the same Eley rounds in several MBX mags, there appears to be more room in length with the MBX mags. 

a few thoughts:

1) are the Eley Super Comp rounds on the long side

2) are the MBX mags slightly roomier front to back

3) are the Atlas mags shorter by design to work better with 9 minor ammo

The Staccato gen 3 mags also seem shorter front to back, more like the Atlas. 

I have some 170mm Atlas mags but have yet to use them. My MBX mags run my 1.17 9mm Major easily. 

Looked on the Eley site and they do not mention AOL for their 38sc ammo so you may want to measure it or call them. Do you have calipers?

You can find out the answers to #2 and #3 with calipers. 

Good luck!

4 hours ago, zdali said:

Atlas mags are the tits for 9x19. Did you notice that they stamp 9mm on them? Use MBX for for the boomer round.

My MBX and Staccato tubes are stamped 9/38. I just looked, and the Atlas are stamped "9mm." That is interesting because this is what Taran Tactical says on their website about them.

9mm tubes work with .38 super and .38 super comp

Just now, GJM said:

My MBX and Staccato tubes are stamped 9/38. I just looked, and the Atlas are stamped "9mm." That is interesting because this is what Taran Tactical says on their website about them.

9mm tubes work with .38 super and .38 super comp

They truly should work as OAL is very similar if not identical and the projectile is the same

2 hours ago, attakmint said:

What guts are you using in your Atlas tubes?

The competition follower and spring from Atlas. 

here is what Atlas says about them on their website:

These competition magazines work with all modular-grip double stack 1911 pistols.

These hi-cap magazines have a capacity of 29 rounds.

The 9mm magazine tube also works with .38 Super and .38 Super Comp.

What oal of the ammo? I run 38 supercomp in mbx mags all day long! 1.23-1.25 run without a hiccup, only issue I can see is when 38 super brass is used not supercomp brass! That’s when I had stacking issues, where the rim would catch the case below it. Check that to see if it’s an issue

The Eley rounds I had some years ago measured 1.253" OAL +/- .001".  The SAAMI max OAL for 38 Super is 1.280".  You'll have to measure yours to see if they fit within those specs.

That said, some mags can be a little short front-to-back. The way to test them is to use ammo with a known, measured OAL and see what fits and travels up/down through the mag without rubbing.