Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ammo?

turfgun

Blazer Brass 124 grain is reliable but a little hot at 1090 fps out of a 4 inch barrel (135 PF).  How long is your barrel?  I tried Freedom Munitions 124 grain (new) (1065 fps, 132 PF, 4 inch barrel), but out of a case of 1000 I had one bullet setback and not useable.  I shot 350 of the Freedom Munitions so far and had 1 failure to fire (FTF).  The primer had a deep indentation, so the gun did its job. Because of the FTF I'm hesitant to use the Freedom Munitions for competition.  I'll continue to use them for practice.

I ordered 2 boxes of Precision One 9mm 124 grain competition ammo (1044 fps, 129 PF, 4 inch barrel).  If the rounds fit my CZ Shadow 2 chamber I will order a case and see how reliable they are.  If the Precision One competition ammo is reliable I will use that.  If not, I'll use the Blazer Brass.

for good reliable readily available these days ammo at the low end of the pricing , I concur with the Blazer brass 124's  save your brass. You could try some 147 gr, see if you feel any noticeable difference.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shot 100 rounds of the Precision One Competition 9mm 124 grain RN today.  There were no malfunctions and they were the softest shooting rounds I've tried.  The PF out of a 4.5 inch barrel will probably be around 130.  Out of my 4.89 inch barrel the PF is 132.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 9:35 AM, 93notch said:

when starting out shoot what will reliably in your gun and that you can find easily.   

Good advice. Also as broadside72 mentioned, "until you figure out the game and what works for you and your gun, then whatever you can afford as long as it makes power factor."

Just need to get out and shoot. There are a lot of folks out there that will help.

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2023 at 1:27 PM, PA_USPSA said:

Blazer Brass 124 grain is reliable but a little hot at 1090 fps out of a 4 inch barrel (135 PF).  How long is your barrel?  I tried Freedom Munitions 124 grain (new) (1065 fps, 132 PF, 4 inch barrel), but out of a case of 1000 I had one bullet setback and not useable.  I shot 350 of the Freedom Munitions so far and had 1 failure to fire (FTF).  The primer had a deep indentation, so the gun did its job. Because of the FTF I'm hesitant to use the Freedom Munitions for competition.  I'll continue to use them for practice.

I ordered 2 boxes of Precision One 9mm 124 grain competition ammo (1044 fps, 129 PF, 4 inch barrel).  If the rounds fit my CZ Shadow 2 chamber I will order a case and see how reliable they are.  If the Precision One competition ammo is reliable I will use that.  If not, I'll use the Blazer Brass.

I have fired tens of thousands of rounds from freedom munitions without a FTF.  They certainly have great pricing and shipping, plus they support shooting sports. 

17 minutes ago, LibertySpam said:

I have fired tens of thousands of rounds from freedom munitions without a FTF.  They certainly have great pricing and shipping, plus they support shooting sports. 

You have been lucky.

• 2 months later...

I too have been shooting rounds from Freedom Munitions without failures. I

was not aware of any issues with them. Is there something I should know about

them that I am not aware of. I recently recomended this ammo to a new shooter

in CO until he is more familiar with reloading. He is starting out with a Glock 17.

Most economically (read: cheapest) priced ammunition that will function reliably in your weapon while not making it dirtier than you are willing to accept, and that does not damage your weapon.

Not always an easy get.....

Which is why most serious shooters will load for themselves.

Edited by cautery

• 3 months later...

I've shot the PDP and have to say that your grip/technique will be far more important than the type of ammo you use. It's a fairly snappy gun with a fairly "violent" recoil impulse (compared to the Shadow 2 for example).

I tried both soft reloads and factory ammo and while there is a difference it's not going to help you as much as really nailing your technique.

• 3 months later...