Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is best training or practice and why?

kurtm

As a matter of question, I have met quite a few shooters that spend a couple days a week training. Now I shoot a lot, and I practice a bunch. I also train a bit, but I'm the one doing the training and the folks I am training are trainees. Hopefully, after I train them they practice what I trained them to do, but I am wondering do you train or do you practice? Do you train a thousand rounds a week or do you practice with a thousand rounds a week for example. If you are training all the time when do you find time to practice? So which is best, training or practice? 

And as pertinent as any "what's the best and why" thread as there ever was!

So which are you Tiger? When you go to the range are you there to train or practice, assuming your not testing the latest, best socks 😁?

Edited by kurtm

Fundamental and advanced techniques in dry fire training at home, because you can get lots of repititions, which I film, to review and correct (~5 x ~15' per week). Benchmark during live fire training in different modes.

Edited by StefVanHauwe

• 1 month later...

I usually dryfire 2 to 3 times a week and try to go the range once a week. During the the shooting season I’ll take a week off of training and leave the guns in the safe after a match, helps me re focus when I get back to it. Another thing that really helps me is having someone take video of me when I’m shooting stages at a match. That way I can watch them, critique myself, and figure out what I need to work on and incorporate that into dryfire and range sessions. I always start range sessions with fundamental work then pick up the intensity from there. 

21 hours ago, kurtm said:

Who is training you on what you need to work on? 

Myself. I watch the video of stages I shoot. Watch footwork, like was it really beneficial for me to turn and run vs would it of been more beneficial to take a few shuffle steps into that same position, should I have manipulated the gun different coming into a position (like start having the gun up coming into the position vs me getting into the position then bringing the gun up) the list goes on and on. Training yourself in low round count weapon manipulation drills goes a long way in this game. Like shoot one, reload shoot another one while getting good hits on target.  I have found those drills to be very beneficial for myself. If I just set a bunch of targets up and I’m missing it’s harder to tell what’s going wrong. The low round count drills really help with that if you break it down into steps. You can also do these drills with the guns empty while dry firing. 

Training: the action of teaching a person or animal a particular skill or type of behavior.

For those of you who train instead of practice....... 

I'm training cords on my Guitar.

My Lawyer trains law.

I'm training my speech for tomorrow.

My child trains his ABC's

I'm training my writing.

The clown is training his juggling.

I'm training my scales on the violin. 

I'm training my comedy act.

But take heart, it is very hard to get charged with Medical "Maltraining", and it is very hard to find a good Horse practicer. 

19 hours ago, kurtm said:

Training: the action of teaching a person or animal a particular skill or type of behavior.

For those of you who train instead of practice....... 

What if I get all the best advice on the tailgate of an old Dodge with a case of beer at 10 in the morning? 

To answer the original question, 2-3 training classes a year to identify the bulk of my dry and live fire areas of practice. 

In season, daily dry fire ~15 minutes with 2-3 live fire practices or matches a week. 

As far as socks, I'm finding the MAIN TRAIL EVERYDAY NO SHOW SOCK to be ideal for practice but I prefer the PURSUIT TRAIL ACTIVE SOCK, NO-SHOW when I'm training folks. 

Hey the Dodge ain't that old..... Now the driver, well I'll leave it there. Advice, beer and tailgates are almost synonymous with critique, which falls closer to critical thinking... Untill the beer kicks in😁

As for the rest, yes! and a great way to get better and better. A couple of training classes/sessions a year followed by dedicated practice of what was learned in training.

To bring this around, I have interacted with a talented shooter now for about 4 years. He "trains" at least 2 times a month, and yet he does the same stuff wrong time after time. I asked him what kind of training he has got, and he goes into great detail about how much dry fire he does and how many rounds he has fired to date. He has stages set up in his garage he changes around for dry fire.... Man I'm training real hard I just can't seem to get better! I told him he is training himself bad habits, that he is ingraining sooo much it's going to be hard to change. I told him to go get some real training and he did. When he got done, he decided that that stuff wouldn't work for him, because he came back and "trained" the same way he always has..... He never PRACTICED what he was trained to do! 

I dry fire 4 times a week. 
Every day during the week I work in some trigger press and at least 10 draws. 

Monday- transitions

Tuesday- reloads

Wednesday- draws

Thursday- I shoot live with a local group of idpa guys. 
Friday- make up day if I missed any days

Saturday or Sunday I try to work in some moving reloads and draws. 

Last year was my first year shooting matches so I shot almost every weekend to confirm what I was learning. This year I’m hardly shooting live fire other than Thursday practice and matches. 

I would say I’m practicing but I have become very good at evaluating my performance. Not just putting in reps but making sure I’m doing it right while dry firing. 

Also I evaluate my matches mentally and that tells me where to focus my dry fire practice the most. I’m on my 8th or 9th match and while I’m currently un ranked I place with masters. I suspect I’ll rank a master or expert. I think I’m at the master level in idpa but I only shoot local matches currently without a few decent shooters so I could be really just expert.

Anyway my success is thanks to dry fire, self diagnosis and god his on YouTube giving out free info. Some of which I hope to take classes from someday. Ivv b am taking one class this year to help her a boost. Ultimately you don’t know what you don’t know. People that do know are the best to learn from. 

4 hours ago, kurtm said:

Hey the Dodge ain't that old..... Now the driver, well I'll leave it there. Advice, beer and tailgates are almost synonymous with critique, which falls closer to critical thinking... Untill the beer kicks in😁

As for the rest, yes! and a great way to get better and better. A couple of training classes/sessions a year followed by dedicated practice of what was learned in training.

To bring this around, I have interacted with a talented shooter now for about 4 years. He "trains" at least 2 times a month, and yet he does the same stuff wrong time after time. I asked him what kind of training he has got, and he goes into great detail about how much dry fire he does and how many rounds he has fired to date. He has stages set up in his garage he changes around for dry fire.... Man I'm training real hard I just can't seem to get better! I told him he is training himself bad habits, that he is ingraining sooo much it's going to be hard to change. I told him to go get some real training and he did. When he got done, he decided that that stuff wouldn't work for him, because he came back and "trained" the same way he always has..... He never PRACTICED what he was trained to do! 

His performance probably suffered when he tried the taught way so he’d rather go back to his way trying to make it work. Rather than to muscle through the pain of sucking for a little to get it right.

I think I have this figured out. Say I'm eating at the bar at my favorite Mehican Cantina and want to work on rappelling off of the barstool after two pitchers of margaritas. If I'm wearing board shorts and flip flops like normal and no one is watching then it would be considered practice. But if I'm wearing my Tier 6 operators vest and the bartender is offering critique then it is training. What do I win?

20 hours ago, JWBaldree said:

I think I have this figured out. Say I'm eating at the bar at my favorite Mehican Cantina and want to work on rappelling off of the barstool after two pitchers of margaritas. If I'm wearing board shorts and flip flops like normal and no one is watching then it would be considered practice. But if I'm wearing my Tier 6 operators vest and the bartender is offering critique then it is training. What do I win?

This has to be the answer. I don't see how we could improve upon it.

Only if he tells you how to tie off and trains you to on how to tie a figure 8 knot! Remember never have the running end on the gate side of your carabineer or it will be "3 tequila floor"!