Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival Failure to Feed

hermes_actual

Having an issue with failure to feed. Using Blue Bullets 135 gn TC loaded to 1.08". The first round is getting stuck on the feed ramp when trying to chamber from a loaded mag. Happens when releasing the slide stop or when racking the slide. Doesn't occur during subsequent rounds. I can tap the back of the slide to get it to feed. Happening in two guns. Have about 500 rounds fired per each. Should I polish feed ramps? Load longer? I really don't want to change bullets.

Any advice appreciated!

16 minutes ago, hermes_actual said:

Bullet appears to be contacting ramp too low. Magazines are new factory. Taylor Freelance +4 extensions with factory springs and followers. 

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1608.jpg

A modern semiauto pistol that is (or is a derivation of) designed as a service weapon (as most striker fired pistols these days are) is designed and manufactured to have extremely reliable feeding regardless of bullet profile. 

In your case the only deviation from the original design (that you have reported) is the extended floor plates. 

Does the problem go away when you use unmodified magazines?  If it does, my immediate suspicion is not enough spring force acting on the follower.  The OEM spring's length is designed to work with the internal length of the OEM magazine.  I'm not going to jump into a spring engineering discussion, just hit the "I believe" button on this.  Depending on how much design margin there is in the OEM spring it might work with extended floor plates or it might not.

If your pistol feeds fine with OEM magazines, I would do absolutely nothing to the feedramp just yet.  I'd first try to find longer springs and experiment with that to see if you can fix the problem.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

A modern semiauto pistol that is (or is a derivation of) designed as a service weapon (as most striker fired pistols these days are) is designed and manufactured to have extremely reliable feeding regardless of bullet profile. 

In your case the only deviation from the original design (that you have reported) is the extended floor plates. 

Does the problem go away when you use unmodified magazines?  If it does, my immediate suspicion is not enough spring force acting on the follower.  The OEM spring's length is designed to work with the internal length of the OEM magazine.  I'm not going to jump into a spring engineering discussion, just hit the "I believe" button on this.  Depending on how much design margin there is in the OEM spring it might work with extended floor plates or it might not.

If your pistol feeds fine with OEM magazines, I would do absolutely nothing to the feedramp just yet.  I'd first try to find longer springs and experiment with that to see if you can fix the problem.

Great idea. Taylor Freelance says their extensions work with factory springs but, you're right, I should check without the extensions and with extension and a longer/stronger spring. Thank you!

usually weak springs are not an issue for the first round out of the magazine. it sounds like it only happens when you load the magazine all the way up. Is that last round pretty tight to get in, and the magazine harder to seat?

1.08 is pretty short with a flatpoint bullet. If your chamber has more room, it might be worth trying a bit longer

The Bullet Tip Hit Pattern is inconsistently up and down the whole feed ramp. An inconsistent "Vertical Point" of the top round in the magazine is usually due to brass sidewall straightness issues. For example, if you use an undersize resizing die it will make the sidewall of the brass a coke bottle shape. Coke bottle shaped brass causes very inconsistent ammo stacking within the mag. It also causes high spots for the rim of the case to catch on as the ammo slides across one another during feeding. An easy way to test this is to load up a magazine full then look at the top few rounds. is the top round laying completely flat against the round below it? Or are the bullets fanned out with only the very base of the brass touching one another? If the bullets are fanned out, then it is 100% a brass sidewall straightness issue.

Replacing the mag spring may make it feed a little better, but if the rounds are not stacking on top of one another correctly it doesn't matter what spring or follower you are using. Its always going to have an inconsistent Vertical Point of the top round during feeding.

The vast majority of the time, these kind of feeding issues are 100% due to poorly made reloaded ammo. People think that they can reload ammo in any manner and it will magically work. That isn't the case.

Edited by CHA-LEE

1 hour ago, TONY BARONE said:

With a plus 4 extension I would think you would need a longer spring than factory.

I'm using a factory spring with TF +4 extensions.  According to their website they are supposed to work with stock springs.

If you load up a mag, then slowly with your fingers pull the round out of the mag bullet-first, does the next round 'snap' into place immediately after it's clear?  If not you need more mag spring.

TP9 sfx

The Blue Bullets 135gr TC over 3.6gr Prima V

OAL 1.115”

Canik 18rd magazines with Henning +4 basepads and Grams spring and follower kit.

I was running into a similar issue to that of the OP, except I was getting a failure to feed on the next to last round in all four of my mags set up with the Henning basepads. This was with the factory recoil spring assembly. Ended up switching to a Wolff guiderod for the Glock along with a 15lb recoil spring (as per InGodWeTrust’s recommendation in his thread), and that seemed to solve the issue. More testing to do before I can say this is for sure the fix.

• 1 year later...

My new replacement Rival-S chrome has no over-insertion issues but is plagued with Nosediving rounds with new factory mags, I have had 12 in 400 rounds, it is very disheartening, I have an uncaptured guide rod and spring coming from Rune tactical, and installed the sprinco 29newton striker spring.

Anyone have feedback on the Rune Tactical stuff?

When I had the Rival S, I found the flat tipped coated 147s were an issue.  Round noses were good.  FMJ or plated the best.  

I opened up the the magazine lips ever so slightly and had the best results.  A spring made for the extended mags has to be run.  Stock spring and extension are no bueno.

Good luck! 

• 5 weeks later...