Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO 40 to 9mm easy as barrel, mags and GR spring(s)?

Jrcnky

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jrcnky said:

Feel like it's a yes, but want to dbl check before buying on CZ Custom.  A TSO 40 to 9mm conversion only requires a barrel swap, 9mm mags, and lighter recoil spring, and maybe extractor, yes or no?  Thanks!

Yes, but you could also tune the .40 extractor to work on the 9mm barrel as well.

22 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I just put a complete 9mm upper for sale here and on Facebook.  I really don't have any interest in shooting SA optics.

I think there is an appeal to spending 200 on a barrel instead of 700 on an entire slide. If I have to take the slide stop out it's not much more trouble to just swap the barrel while I'm at it. 

7 minutes ago, CC3D said:

I think there is an appeal to spending 200 on a barrel instead of 700 on an entire slide. If I have to take the slide stop out it's not much more trouble to just swap the barrel while I'm at it. 

This is true.  As long as you can fit a barrel yourself then it is a good option.  When I want to shoot .357sig out of my TSO, I just have the barrel and didn't buy another .40 slide to hold that barrel.

Case dimensions, specifically rim thicknss, rim diameter, and base diameter, of 9mm Luger and .40 S&W are diffierent albeit close.  This may cause feeding and/or extraction problems.  Seem to recall some who did what you are asking about without issue; I do not recall the specific firearm however..  If I wanted to do what you propose, I'd get a complete 9mm slide.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:17 PM, aandabooks said:

It is easier to just buy a complete upper.  Slide one off and the other right on.  A barrel from CZ will have to be fitted to the slide of your gun.  Not difficult but easy to screw up.

I thought I had read that if you go complete slide that you have to fit slide to frame, which seems like more work than just fitting barrel.  I could be wrong though.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:28 PM, CC3D said:

Was going to make the same post today- with the limited optics changes coming soon I imagine more than a few TSO 40 owners will be looking to make this change. I know I am!

this is exactly why I'm asking.  I shoot CO more now and this TSO has just really been sitting in safe for about two years.  This new division gives me a reason to take it back out if it's as easy as a barrel and mag swap.

I thought I had read that if you go complete slide that you have to fit slide to frame, which seems like more work than just fitting barrel.  I could be wrong though.

Mine did not require any fitting.  Slides right on.  

this is exactly why I'm asking.  I shoot CO more now and this TSO has just really been sitting in safe for about two years.  This new division gives me a reason to take it back out if it's as easy as a barrel and mag swap.

Do you already have your .40 slide milled for an optic?  I don't have mine milled but if the 9mm slide does not sell then I might go that route as well and send it out to get it milled then put it back in the safe since I mainly shoot open but know it is there if I want to play in this new CO division.

2 hours ago, aandabooks said:

Do you already have your .40 slide milled for an optic?  I don't have mine milled but if the 9mm slide does not sell then I might go that route as well and send it out to get it milled then put it back in the safe since I mainly shoot open but know it is there if I want to play in this new CO division.

Yeah this new division is appealing. no optic cut yet, but plan to at some point soon after I figure out this 9mm barrel thing. 

Edited by Jrcnky

I had to fit my barrel, which is pretty tedious, but easy.  Mine works without having to touch the extractor. I did use 9mm mags for it but did try a 40 mag (not fully loaded) and it worked surprisingly.  
I didn’t change the spring either. But my 40 spring is pretty well used and I should probably change it. 

I've done this as well. Needed to do some minor fitting of the barrel, 9mm mags, and the 9mm extractor. Maybe the 40 would work, I never tried it. I did have to tune my mag lips a bit to get 100% reliability. Used the gun for Limited major with the 40 and 3 gun with the 9mm. I just sent the slide off to be milled for an optic so I can use it either in LO if that happens or Open minor if not. I am not a threat to the top 10 no matter what and I so love the feel and trigger of this gun.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on the likelihood of having to do fitting with a 9mm barrel in a 40 slide? I've heard some say they've needed to do fitting and others say the barrel drops in. I'm assuming luck of the draw. 

For those who had to fit the barrel how difficult is it to learn/ screw up? Trying to decide if I should have a gunsmith do it or attempt to tackle it myself.

You’re Lucky if it Doesn’t drop right in, and needs minor fitting.
That will assure, well, a better fit.

Simple as can be with a fine file.

Go slow, & check fit often.
Use Dykem, or even a sharpie, to slowly take down the high spots.

It’s a simple process that you can def do yourself. Going slow is still faster than dropping off and picking up, and nobody cares about your stuff as much as You do.

Go Slow

21 hours ago, Kneedtospeed said:

You’re Lucky if it Doesn’t drop right in, and needs minor fitting.
That will assure, well, a better fit.

Simple as can be with a fine file.

Go slow, & check fit often.
Use Dykem, or even a sharpie, to slowly take down the high spots.

It’s a simple process that you can def do yourself. Going slow is still faster than dropping off and picking up, and nobody cares about your stuff as much as You do.

Go Slow

I figured. Any guides anywhere on the process someone can point me to? 

I purchased a 9 mm TSO2 barrel for my new 40 smith and Wesson TSO2 from CZcustom. (I'm just too curious for my own good.) It is their in-house barrel I presume, as it has their stamp on it. Went in with no problem and I shot 40 rounds the other day using federal Syntech 9 mm.  Worked fine. I’ll post some photos of the two barrels in a bit.

so, the black one is the factory .40 and the silver is the CZcustom 9 mm. There are differences, as you see, but those don't seem to pose a problem. The metallic "click" produced when the slide is installed on the frame, as you line up the lines for the slide stop, sounds a bit different. 

If anything changes will advise. FYI it shot the Federal 150 grain VERY softly. 

All Photos - 1 of 1 (4).jpeg

All Photos - 1 of 1 (5).jpeg

All Photos - 1 of 1 (6).jpeg

All Photos - 1 of 1 (7).jpeg

Edited by midatlantic