Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this a good deal? 327 TR8, $1200 bucks?

ysrracer

2 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I saw it for sale at my local gun range. The card says 99%, with the original box.

Thoughts?

Normally I’d laugh at that price. But unfortunately I think the days of cheap guns are coming to a close. Besides, the difference from maybe to great deal is 200$ there, that’s basically a match fee or red dot or set of grips today.

Get it, don’t even take possession of it, have your shop mail it straight to TK and get it done. Gives you a minute to buy sights and grips and I bet if you tell Eli you want it for the PHX match in 5 weeks he gets it back to you in time…

18 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

What makes it a (bug) back up gun ? It's got a five inch barrel, right?

Sorry I got it wrong, I was thinking it had 3 in barrel and was confusing it with snubby which is 3 inch or less and max 6 shots instead of 8.

1 minute ago, mchapman said:

I have been thinking/looking for a 986 in a 2 inch for carry and a local bug match. and I was thinking the tr8 was a 3 inch.

I just scored a pair of 627s with 2 5/8” barrels. They would make fantastic icore snub guns. Still heavy with that unfluted cylinder they’re like shooting regular 627s.

9 minutes ago, MWP said:

I just scored a pair of 627s with 2 5/8” barrels. They would make fantastic icore snub guns. Still heavy with that unfluted cylinder they’re like shooting regular 627s.

They probably would, but official Icore snub can't be more than a 6 shot I just looked. Still wouldn't mind having one though.

3 minutes ago, mchapman said:

They probably would, but official Icore snub can't be more than a 6 shot I just looked. Still wouldn't mind having one though.

Oh that’s good to know. I didn’t realize it was limited to 6. Maybe that’s a rule that just changed a few years back? 

9 hours ago, ysrracer said:

So is there any advantage to this gun over my 5" 627 PC ?

YR:

Yo -- they are really light.  Light weight is not a friend in this case unless you are toting the revolver.

A lot more energy going into it from recoil.  I had mine magna ported to reduce some of this and it worked but it also made the revolver a SC revolver or a carry gun.  No porting for most of the sports.

If you get it, tighten the barrel in the sleeve and lock tite it.  Also make it a part of your routine to check the tightness of the frame screws before competition.  The one that secures the crane is prone to loosening up.

Your 627-5 is a lot better for competitive purposes in my opinion.  It is heavier so is more forgiving to poor trigger control and takes recoil a lot better.  More durable too.

Yes, I have both.

GG

14 hours ago, mchapman said:

I have been thinking/looking for a 986 in a 2 inch for carry and a local bug match. and I was thinking the tr8 was a 3 inch.

last day of private sales in VA I got a 2.75" 386... Love that gun.  Its a L frame scadmium, framed 7 shot 357..  Became my EDC,,  I shoot it well because it matches up with my 686, 

I went back and forth between the 327 and 627 when considering an optic / open gun for ICORE and SC. I was set on a trr8 then a friend of mine commented do you know how light they are? After going around and around I ended up a 627 4" for my OSR / open option. Im not that good of a Revo shooter and combined w a poor trigger pull on my part leads to all kinds of bad. By the way I'm very pleased w my 627-4" IMG_20220828_163006626-min.thumb.jpg.1e05da884cde7a84e6f98dd674a5469c.jpg

Edited by Squirrel45

50 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

I went back and forth between the 327 and 627 when considering an optic / open gun for ICORE and SC. I was set on a trr8 then a friend of mine commented do you know how light they are? After going around and around I ended up a 627 4" for my OSR / open option. Im not that good of a Revo shooter and combined w a poor trigger pull on my part leads to all kinds of bad. By the way I'm very pleased w my 627-4" IMG_20220828_163006626-min.thumb.jpg.1e05da884cde7a84e6f98dd674a5469c.jpg

Nice, I've got the same gun but in five inch.

16 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Same here, and it's my limited and uspsa backup. All I do is swap preset iron sight for dot.  Nice blaster.

Those are both 2 of the best revos you can buy for any price. I have seen the $5000+ Korth and Manhurin ones. They don't have nearly the nice action that a well tuned Smith can have. They may be better out of the box, but a Smith can be way better for far less investment.

Edited by Toolguy

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

Those are both 2 of the best revos you can buy for any price. I have seen the $5000+ Korth and Manhurin ones. They don't have nearly the nice action that a well tuned Smith can have. They may be better out of the box, but a Smith can be way better for far less investment.

One of the guys I shoot with is a retired doctor. He's very wealthy with a huge gun collection.

He let me shoot his Korth and Manurhin. I didn't have the heart to tell him what I really though.

They were really well made and fitted, but not the right tool for the job I had in mind.