Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Clays or Clay Dot out there?

ysrracer

I saw clays a few months ago at a local shop. Haven't been in there since. I switched to n310 for 45, which has been pretty readily available, and is now the same price as everything else (such a deal!).

I've become pretty agnostic about powders the last several years. I've used clays, red dot, e3, n310, n320, imr red, vectan ba9.5, ba10 and a few others. Lotsa stuff works.

On 12/5/2022 at 4:30 PM, ysrracer said:

Thanks guys, this is from Hodgdon

Hi Brad,

We have no production or shipping dates for the Clays powder lines. They have not been discontinued

Thank You for using our powders!

See I just couldnt let that go without a snarky reply ,  like Hey MORONS how can I be using your powders if I cant buy them ?

2 hours ago, dannyd said:

I am going to have to try Clays in a 38 special been using w231 and hp-38 for 35 years.  Always used Clays in my shotgun shells just never in center fire.

I just started reloading for the 12 gauge earlier this year (because an LGS can consistently get in Chedite 209 primers…no other primers….just the Chedite shotgun primers).

So I have been using regular Clays.  I bought an 8 pound jug back in 2007 for $106….that I am still working on.  For you math majors, that’s $13.25 per pound.  

I have a 12 gauge load that I like with Clays powder.  I picked up 3 bottles of HP-38 today.  I plan on using that for .45ACP  loads…..to conserve my Clays for the shotgun games.

45 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

I just started reloading for the 12 gauge earlier this year (because an LGS can consistently get in Chedite 209 primers…no other primers….just the Chedite shotgun primers).

So I have been using regular Clays.  I bought an 8 pound jug back in 2007 for $106….that I am still working on.  For you math majors, that’s $13.25 per pound.  

I have a 12 gauge load that I like with Clays powder.  I picked up 3 bottles of HP-38 today.  I plan on using that for .45ACP  loads…..to conserve my Clays for the shotgun games.

The Chedite primers work just as good as all the rest used about 4,000 so far.  I switch between 700x and Clays for shotgun.  I use a 3/4 oz. load for busting clays.  HP-38 works for 45 acp loaded over 10,000 rounds with it.

41 minutes ago, dannyd said:

The Chedite primers work just as good as all the rest used about 4,000 so far.  I switch between 700x and Clays for shotgun.  I use a 3/4 oz. load for busting clays.  HP-38 works for 45 acp loaded over 10,000 rounds with it.

Cool!  I am glad to hear it.  When I bought my 12 gauge Mec reloader used off of CL about 10 years ago, it came with a bunch of ounce and an eighth wads.  So I am going to use those up first

I had used Winchester 231 in .45ACP about 15 years ago.  It was really soft shooting.  I only found out about HP-38 and Win 231 being the same thing about 4 years ago. So today was my first time ever buying HP-38.

I might be heading back to this LGS on Friday either for more HP-38 or WST.

7 minutes ago, Chills1994 said:

Cool!  I am glad to hear it.  When I bought my 12 gauge Mec reloader used off of CL about 10 years ago, it came with a bunch of ounce and an eighth wads.  So I am going to use those up first

I had used Winchester 231 in .45ACP about 15 years ago.  It was really soft shooting.  I only found out about HP-38 and Win 231 being the same thing about 4 years ago. So today was my first time ever buying HP-38.

I might be heading back to this LGS on Friday either for more HP-38 or WST.

WST is great but it is temperature sensitive doesn't like cold.  HP-38 and W231 started being the same thing about 1988 according to Handloader magazine.  I use 3/4 oz to save on shot and I don't like recoil.

none of my gunpowers  like the cold... Oh well guess I cant shoot and have to stay in.
I think its just internet chatter about WST.. I have never noticed much difference and I used it for years in 40 major and minor,  some say it loses a few FPS in hotter weather.
Might be a problem if baggies were left in direct sunlight for hurs on a hot day before chrono.. But I wouldnt expect chrono crew to do that.
However,,, I tend to not shoot or chrono in extreme weather

9 hours ago, Service Desk said:

Can you elaborate on this ? I know it can be a bit slower in bullet speed in Hot weather. 

Thanks.

Using WST between 70 and 100 degrees standard deviation 13 fps. Between 30 and 50 degrees same load went up to standard deviation of 32 and 47 fps.  Same load for both just thought I have messed up loading did another 50 rounds same thing.  Tried again the next summer back down to between 12 and 19 fps.  So I went back to using 231 and save the WST for shotgun.

6 hours ago, ysrracer said:

There's a bunch near Tampa and a bunch near Port St Luci

Yes there are; strange the most Liberal part of the state has the most gun shows and ranges.  I got to Northeast Florida by way of San Diego.

5 minutes ago, dannyd said:

Yes there are; strange the most Liberal part of the state has the most gun shows and ranges.  I got to Northeast Florida by way of San Diego.

Hey, I'm in Tustin in Orange County. I'm out at Raahauge's in Corona twice a week.

Small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.