Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dedicated CO rigs for USPSA and IDPA

RangerTrace

Though I rarely shoot USPSA these days, I've ordered up holsters/pouches to set up existing belts to have a dedicated rig for each sport.  I missed the part where USPSA changed the rules allowing mag pouches to be placed anywhere on the belt.  So, the question is, do I keep the USPSA rig closely aligned with the IDPA rule of behind the hip bone for consistency or should I set up the USPSA rig to take advantage of the rules?  It's worth noting that my setup at work is closer to IDPA than USPSA.  

I would probably just have one extra mag carrier you could clip on for the USPSA belt. After shooting single stack for a long time, once they change the rules I barely shifted my mags because I was used to it the old way. 

Basically my number two mag now is where my number one mag used to be

But that is just me

4 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

One rig; one set of monkey-motions.

I like consistency. 

I tend to agree with you.  Back before the rule change, I asked Seeklander this question in reference to Limited/Production and he advised he ran everything behind the hip bone.  Seems he told me IPSC is more limited than USPSA on mag placement.  

The way IDPA rules are now I'm probably going to start running exactly the same gear in both. Maybe I'll add a magnet and just not use it in IDPA. Still working the kinks out of it. But right now I'm using DAA IDPA racer pouches with a boss hanger attached to a belt clip. I've pretty much always ran my gun around 3:00 so why change. Similarly my reloads seem better even with the pouch back a little. putting it right in the front never helped me.

I'm kind of in the camp, it doesn't really matter so why waste money and effort to have a bunch of extra gear to keep track of. One setup all the time is simple. I'll use the same belt I wear every day and just leave my holster and mag pouch in my bag. 

2 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

The way IDPA rules are now I'm probably going to start running exactly the same gear in both. Maybe I'll add a magnet and just not use it in IDPA. Still working the kinks out of it. But right now I'm using DAA IDPA racer pouches with a boss hanger attached to a belt clip. I've pretty much always ran my gun around 3:00 so why change. Similarly my reloads seem better even with the pouch back a little. putting it right in the front never helped me.

I'm kind of in the camp, it doesn't really matter so why waste money and effort to have a bunch of extra gear to keep track of. One setup all the time is simple. I'll use the same belt I wear every day and just leave my holster and mag pouch in my bag. 

My holsters/hangers are exactly the same except one is attached to an inner/outer belt combo and the other a stand alone belt to go through the belt loops.  10 years ago, it seemed the front angled pouches made a difference for me, but I worked at it a lot harder and was obviously 10 years younger.  I think I'll put the magnet back on the USPSA  rig and leave the pouches alone.

15 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

My holsters/hangers are exactly the same except one is attached to an inner/outer belt combo and the other a stand alone belt to go through the belt loops.  10 years ago, it seemed the front angled pouches made a difference for me, but I worked at it a lot harder and was obviously 10 years younger.  I think I'll put the magnet back on the USPSA  rig and leave the pouches alone.

I'm pretty sure in IDPA the mag pouch just needs to be concealed. So it can be slightly forward depending on your cover garment . I found moving it way forward the angle the mag approached the gun was odd. It's hard to explain, but it's more of a straight line from my hip(ish) to the gun with everything aligned more naturally. I found not really more speed, but at least more consistency for me keeping the mags back some. Maybe like right at my hip bone, which is like 10:00 ish. So just a touch forward. 

2022 IDPA Rulebook

8.6 Ammunition Carriers 8.6.1 General Ammunition Carrier Rules 8.6.1.1 Instead of using ammunition carriers, shooters may carry spare loading devices in their pockets or belt. Shooters may mix carry methods but they must be concealed from view at the start signal. 8.6.1.2 Ammunition carriers may be modified to meet IDPA rules. 8.6.1.3 Magnets worn on belts or in concealment garments may not substitute traditional carriers. 8.6.1.4 Spare ammunition is considered stowed when it is secured in an approved carrier, or a pocket. After the start signal, magazines optionally may be stowed inside the belt. Spare or partial devices are not considered stowed in a shooters hand, armpit, mouth or similar scheme. 8.6.2 Magazine Carriers 8.6.2.1 Must be suitable for concealed carry and all-day continuous wear. 8.6.2.2 Must be worn on an IDPA legal belt. 8.6.2.3 Magazine carriers must be worn in a location on the belt so that the magazine is completely concealed. 8.6.2.4 The same exact location for magazines, magazine pouches, and/or ammunition feeding devices in pockets must be used for every stage in a single match, unless otherwise specified in a stage description. 8.6.3 Speed Loader and Moon Clip Carrier Rules 8.6.3.1 Be suitable for concealed carry and all day continuous wear. 8.6.3.2 Speed loader carriers must either be of open top configuration and must retain the speed loader by tension or retain the speed loader with a snap or Velcro closure. Moon clip carriers must either be of open top configuration, and must retain the moon clip by tension and a stud that protrudes through the center of the clip, or retains the moon clip with a snap or Velcro closure. 8.6.3.3 Moon clips may not be retained in the carrier by 3 or less cartridges. 8.6.3.4 The same exact location for speed loaders, speed loader pouches, moon clips, moon clip pouches, and/or ammunition feeding devices in pockets must be used for every stage in a single match, unless otherwise specified in a stage description.

20 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I missed the part where USPSA changed the rules allowing mag pouches to be placed anywhere on the belt.  So, the question is, do I keep the USPSA rig closely aligned with the IDPA rule of behind the hip bone for consistency

Might want to check IDPA rules. 

1 hour ago, waktasz said:

Some as the old way, more or less, with a magnet in front. 

You can now put your reloads wherever you want on your belt as long as they're concealed.

Your holster can be as far fwd as 2 o'clock if it's OWB and all the way to 12 if it's IWB.  I know you know this, this is just for the OP's benefit.

57 minutes ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

You can now put your reloads wherever you want on your belt as long as they're concealed.

Your holster can be as far fwd as 2 o'clock if it's OWB and all the way to 12 if it's IWB.  I know you know this, this is just for the OP's benefit.

What about during the classifier when concealment is optional?

8 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

What about during the classifier when concealment is optional?

If it's legal when concealment is required, it's still legal when concealment is optional.  Same as it was in the old rulebook.  You also had to pass a concealment test back then.

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

1 hour ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

If it's legal when concealment is required, it's still legal when concealment is optional.  Same as it was in the old rulebook.  You also had to pass a concealment test back then.

Great information.  Thank you!!  With IDPA, I've mainly learned the rules through getting procedurals.  It was a little rough at first, after 10 years of USPSA.