Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updating shellplate on Dillon RL1100...........

As soon as the season is over, I plan on tearing into the RL1100 for a major cleaning; and am definitely wanting to replace the shellplate.  My reason is I've read that Dillon has a V2 of the OEM shellplate that is a bit thicker/beefier than the original I have.  Yes, I realize the original shellplate has been working; however my OCD is kicking in and I definitely want to replace the original with either the upgraded Dillon or aftermarket.

Right now I have been seriously looking at FW Arms new release:  https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/shell-plates/5-plate-for-dillon-super-1050-1100-cp2000-by-f-w-arms-copy/

It's a very nice looking plate that appears to have a lot of built-in improvements that should enhance the operation and function.  And I have plans to automate in the future; but feel a quality, well made shellplate is just a good investment.

Some highlights of FW Arms new plate:  

Would like to hear from other S1050/RL1100 owners that have replaced, or considered replacing, there shellplate and reason(s) why they did/did not.  Also wondering if replacing with a thicker shellplate such as Dillon or aftermarket will require major adjustments to the press along with raising all the dies and resetting to allow for the additional thickness?

Also would like to hear any recommendations on upgrading/replacing the Index Roller Bolt, Index Lever Shoulder Bolt, and Index Lever Spring!  Any/all recommended updates/replacements would be appreciated!

Thanks for any comments!!

:)

I like my FW stuff.

The shell plates can be problematic and that has been well documented ; it is all due to the index pawl.  I've run both the FW & TNT plates and they both work just fine.  

I upgraded the roller bolt and plunger cam from Immorto and  that has made a huge difference. I also use the caliber specific case pusher covers.  

And of course the Dram Worx hopper.  :)

A few things to unpack here...

1. If your press is setup correctly and you don't do dumb things (like i have in the past)the Dillon shellplates work great...even for most typical automated operation.

2. FW does not release sub par products. I would buy anything from them with confidence.

3. Aftermarket shellplates, typically, reduce the pocket size where the casing is retained. This can cause case insertion issues and especially so when running mixed HS brass. The companies making the shellplate do this to decrease the case wobble as the press runs. 

4. Since I have setup dealer access to TNT I have picked up a couple of their plates. Primarily for brass processing as sometimes if crap brass gets onto your press the autodrive can damage/stress the shellplate. 223 is the worst. 9mm on the other hand I've went thru 150k plus and haven't had any dillon shellplate longevity issues.

Due to a minor pricing difference it made sense for me to get the TNT over a bare Dillon plate and I always have wanted to give them a shot. I have noticed the TNT is more difficult to get just right on tighteness with the shellplate lock ring. However, I'm sure the tool steel will pay dividends over time on my automated brass processor.

Oh I just saw your comment about the index roller... that's a whole different post hehe. I wasn't aware of any company making a new bolt or roller for the index mechanism? 

Has anyone tried the new FW shell plate?  They stopped making them for a while, so I assume this is a “new and improved” version?

I don’t know why, but I feel like I “need” one of these. I wonder if they will offer a Black Friday sale???

12 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Has anyone tried the new FW shell plate?  They stopped making them for a while, so I assume this is a “new and improved” version?

I don’t know why, but I feel like I “need” one of these. I wonder if they will offer a Black Friday sale???

Haven't come across anyone using these new ones; but a lot of discussion on FB!  I sure have been wanting one; but since my RL1100 is still in manual operation, I decided to grab a V2 Dillon plate.  But if I see a deal during Black Friday, I'll probably grab one for future use!  ;)

They are an awesome looking plate that appears well engineered/made.  Some details in a reply after my product inquiry:

Our plates have improved geometry for case insertion/extraction. Our plates are made from a really tough tool steel alloy and heat treated by a very reputable heat treater. Our plates have an index ball groove on the back to help keep the plate steady during index. Our plates have debris extraction grooves on the back to help pull crap out from under the plate. We also include an indexing pawl with each plate; and if the new station tabs we are testing out work, we will include a set of those with each #3 and #5 plate, as well as supply a set to people who have already purchases a plate from us.

👍

19 hours ago, Cuz said:

I bought the 9mm and 223 plates.

They are ok, but nothing that made me say "Wow!  That was money well spent."

3 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

I bought the 9mm and 223 plates.

They are ok, but nothing that made me say "Wow!  That was money well spent."

I think you could say that about many of the aftermarket upgrade options.

If you have a true need where the factory piece is just not doing the job then great.

Otherwise I don't think you're getting much more than you already have.

And then they may have their own issues as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/15/2022 at 10:11 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Finally opened the box with the new Dillon RL1100 shell plate (v2?).  Very easy to see the updates.

👍

How is that new shell plate working out?

im feeling the need to upgrade mine, but don’t know which one to get. It’s for 9mm loading. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

How is that new shell plate working out?

im feeling the need to upgrade mine, but don’t know which one to get. It’s for 9mm loading. 

Hey @Cuz  Unfortunately I didn't keep the RL1100 too long after I got the upgraded shell plate till I replaced it with the Mark7 Apex 10.  What I remember was they beefed it up just a bit to reduce flex and allow it to better integrate with their DA3000 automation.

If I were still using an RL1100, and was considering upgrading the shell plate, I would definitely take into consideration whether I would be sticking with manual operation or going automated.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.........

;)

I had been using the updated (thicker) shell plate for processing brass (9mm, 40, 45 and .223). There’s no flex on the shellplate because of the extra thickness as long as you set it up correctly. I’m glad Dillon beefed their shell plates. 

However, the I’d rather spend extra for an FW Arms shellplate. The cutouts for the brass is tighter compared to the Dillon so there’s less wobble especially when I’m processing pistol brass at 3000 cph.

Thanks @HOGRIDER and @George16

I just installed my autodrive this weekend, and after processing just over 5,000 cases without a problem, I gave the press a good cleaning, and after reassembly, now I'm having problems getting the shellplate to rotate the last 1/4" to click into place.  I tried various amounts of lube, and even no grease.  I've tried loosing the shell plate holder from 1/8 turn, all the way back to a full turn, in 1/8 turn increments with the same result.

I don't get it, everything worked just fine for 5,000 cases before I cleaned the press.  I'm sure it's probably something I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure everything is put back together correctly.

Getting frustrated.  I called Mark 7, and they suggested loosening the shell plate.  It really doesn't seem like an autodrive issue, but I'm about out of ideas.

9 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Thanks @HOGRIDER and @George16

I just installed my autodrive this weekend, and after processing just over 5,000 cases without a problem, I gave the press a good cleaning, and after reassembly, now I'm having problems getting the shellplate to rotate the last 1/4" to click into place.  I tried various amounts of lube, and even no grease.  I've tried loosing the shell plate holder from 1/8 turn, all the way back to a full turn, in 1/8 turn increments with the same result.

I don't get it, everything worked just fine for 5,000 cases before I cleaned the press.  I'm sure it's probably something I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure everything is put back together correctly.

Getting frustrated.  I called Mark 7, and they suggested loosening the shell plate.  It really doesn't seem like an autodrive issue, but I'm about out of ideas.

Hi @Cuz

@George16 may be more help than me since he's still using an RL1100; but first thing I would do is operate the press in " manual" mode as outlined on Page 27 of the Owner's Manual.  Rotating through the full stroke of the press should show if anything such as the index pall is not completing that last 1/4" of movement.

I also remember the possibility of a spring and/or shoulder bolt at the back of the press controlling the index lever.

Pressing "STOP" twice on the autodrive control tablet will also put the motor in neutral (while Autodrive is On) to allow manually actuating the press at the large sprocket.

HTHs and good luck finding your issue!

👍

1 minute ago, HOGRIDER said:

Hi @Cuz

@George16 may be more help than me since he's still using an RL1100; but first thing I would do is operate the press in " manual" mode as outlined on Page 27 of the Owner's Manual.  Rotating through the full stroke of the press should show if anything such as the index pall is not completing that last 1/4" of movement.

I also remember the possibility of a spring and/or shoulder bolt at the back of the press controlling the index lever.

Pressing "STOP" twice on the autodrive control tablet will also put the motor in neutral (while Autodrive is On) to allow manually actuating the press at the large sprocket.

HTHs and good luck finding your issue!

👍

Thanks, I just stumbled across you post in Chapo's thread and am going to look into it shortly.

3 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

I've spent quite a bit of time on an automated 1100.

The index roller shoulder bolt tends to get bent during automation if for any reason the shell plate gets jammed during rotation.

It's one of the weak points of an automated RL1100.

It doesn't take much to screw things up.

It may not be obvious that the bolt is bent enough to cause a problem; hard to see with the naked eye.

I'm automated with an old Ammobot so perhaps not directly applicable but in my case operating the press manually may be successful while operating automated is problematic.

That is due to the ability to push the index lever farther in manual mode that when automated.

Again, that behavior may be Ammobot specific.

Replacement index system shoulder bolts from McMaster-Carr:

indexbolts2.jpg

Thanks all,
It looks like the problem is solved.  I don't know what caused it to start happening, possibly the shoulder bolt got slightly bent, as suggested by a couple of folks.  And, also, as suggested either here or in another thread, I decided to try adjusting the Eccentric Drive Stop about a quarter turn so that the shellplate fully indexed, and that seemed to fix things.  It may be compensating for a bent bolt, I'm not sure, but I'll need to pick up a spare bolt or two to test.  I ran some test cycles and it worked fine, so I processed about 700 cases at 1,000 - 2,500 rph speeds with no problems.

Whew, boy do I feel better now.  Hope this helps someone else out there with the same problem.

-Cuz

1 hour ago, ddc said:

I've spent quite a bit of time on an automated 1100.

The index roller shoulder bolt tends to get bent during automation if for any reason the shell plate gets jammed during rotation.

It's one of the weak points of an automated RL1100.

It doesn't take much to screw things up.

It may not be obvious that the bolt is bent enough to cause a problem; hard to see with the naked eye.

I'm automated with an old Ammobot so perhaps not directly applicable but in my case operating the press manually may be successful while operating automated is problematic.

That is due to the ability to push the index lever farther in manual mode that when automated.

Again, that behavior may be Ammobot specific.

Replacement index system shoulder bolts from McMaster-Carr:

indexbolts2.jpg

@ddc

Thanks for the info.  You provided info on two sizes, do you know which one is the correct size for the RL1100 ?

Or do I need both of them?

Is one the Index Roller Bolt and the other the Index Lever Shoulder Bolt?

Just want to make sure I order the right ones.

Thanks,

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cuz said:

@ddc

Thanks for the info.  You provided info on two sizes, do you know which one is the correct size for the RL1100 ?

Or do I need both of them?

Is one the Index Roller Bolt and the other the Index Lever Shoulder Bolt?

Just want to make sure I order the right ones.

Thanks,

@Cuz

Look on Page 60 of the RL1100 Manual, and it shows pics of the Index Lever bolt along with the Index Roller bolt.

I would definitely replace BOTH with PREMIUM replacements, as @ddc referenced above, while I was in there!

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

23 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

@Cuz

Look on Page 60 of the RL1100 Manual, and it shows pics of the Index Lever bolt along with the Index Roller bolt.

I would definitely replace BOTH with PREMIUM replacements, as @ddc referenced above, while I was in there!

👍

thanks, but @ddc, how do you find anything on the McMaster website?  I tried looking up every number listed in the pic you provided and they all came up with nothing.  And I had no idea just how many different kinds of hex head shoulder bolts there were. It made my head spin. 
Any chance you can provide a link I can just click on and buy?

10 minutes ago, Cuz said:

thanks, but @ddc, how do you find anything on the McMaster website?  I tried looking up every number listed in the pic you provided and they all came up with nothing.  And I had no idea just how many different kinds of hex head shoulder bolts there were. It made my head spin. 

@Cuz

Here's the Index Roller Shoulder bolts:

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/130/3528/91259A628

And here's the Index Lever Shoulder Bolt:

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/130/3527/91259A619

First bolt part # is: 91259A628 

Second bolt part # is: 91259A619

👍

You can buy those shoulder bolts from your local Ace hardware. That’s where I bought all of the shoulder bolts I needed ( feed, swage etc).

As for the shellplate not rotating into place on the last 1/4” each of its travel, adjust the eccentric bolt at the back of the RL1100. That’s what I did when I encountered that problem. 

28 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Looks like @HOGRIDERbeat me too it. Good thing as for some reason I'm having trouble logging onto their website.

Thanks @HOGRIDER !