Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updating shellplate on Dillon RL1100...........

As soon as the season is over, I plan on tearing into the RL1100 for a major cleaning; and am definitely wanting to replace the shellplate.  My reason is I've read that Dillon has a V2 of the OEM shellplate that is a bit thicker/beefier than the original I have.  Yes, I realize the original shellplate has been working; however my OCD is kicking in and I definitely want to replace the original with either the upgraded Dillon or aftermarket.

Right now I have been seriously looking at FW Arms new release:  https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/shell-plates/5-plate-for-dillon-super-1050-1100-cp2000-by-f-w-arms-copy/

It's a very nice looking plate that appears to have a lot of built-in improvements that should enhance the operation and function.  And I have plans to automate in the future; but feel a quality, well made shellplate is just a good investment.

Some highlights of FW Arms new plate:  

Would like to hear from other S1050/RL1100 owners that have replaced, or considered replacing, there shellplate and reason(s) why they did/did not.  Also wondering if replacing with a thicker shellplate such as Dillon or aftermarket will require major adjustments to the press along with raising all the dies and resetting to allow for the additional thickness?

Also would like to hear any recommendations on upgrading/replacing the Index Roller Bolt, Index Lever Shoulder Bolt, and Index Lever Spring!  Any/all recommended updates/replacements would be appreciated!

Thanks for any comments!!

:)

I like my FW stuff.

The shell plates can be problematic and that has been well documented ; it is all due to the index pawl.  I've run both the FW & TNT plates and they both work just fine.  

I upgraded the roller bolt and plunger cam from Immorto and  that has made a huge difference. I also use the caliber specific case pusher covers.  

And of course the Dram Worx hopper.  :)

A few things to unpack here...

1. If your press is setup correctly and you don't do dumb things (like i have in the past)the Dillon shellplates work great...even for most typical automated operation.

2. FW does not release sub par products. I would buy anything from them with confidence.

3. Aftermarket shellplates, typically, reduce the pocket size where the casing is retained. This can cause case insertion issues and especially so when running mixed HS brass. The companies making the shellplate do this to decrease the case wobble as the press runs. 

4. Since I have setup dealer access to TNT I have picked up a couple of their plates. Primarily for brass processing as sometimes if crap brass gets onto your press the autodrive can damage/stress the shellplate. 223 is the worst. 9mm on the other hand I've went thru 150k plus and haven't had any dillon shellplate longevity issues.

Due to a minor pricing difference it made sense for me to get the TNT over a bare Dillon plate and I always have wanted to give them a shot. I have noticed the TNT is more difficult to get just right on tighteness with the shellplate lock ring. However, I'm sure the tool steel will pay dividends over time on my automated brass processor.

Oh I just saw your comment about the index roller... that's a whole different post hehe. I wasn't aware of any company making a new bolt or roller for the index mechanism? 

Has anyone tried the new FW shell plate?  They stopped making them for a while, so I assume this is a “new and improved” version?

I don’t know why, but I feel like I “need” one of these. I wonder if they will offer a Black Friday sale???

12 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Has anyone tried the new FW shell plate?  They stopped making them for a while, so I assume this is a “new and improved” version?

I don’t know why, but I feel like I “need” one of these. I wonder if they will offer a Black Friday sale???

Haven't come across anyone using these new ones; but a lot of discussion on FB!  I sure have been wanting one; but since my RL1100 is still in manual operation, I decided to grab a V2 Dillon plate.  But if I see a deal during Black Friday, I'll probably grab one for future use!  ;)

They are an awesome looking plate that appears well engineered/made.  Some details in a reply after my product inquiry:

Our plates have improved geometry for case insertion/extraction. Our plates are made from a really tough tool steel alloy and heat treated by a very reputable heat treater. Our plates have an index ball groove on the back to help keep the plate steady during index. Our plates have debris extraction grooves on the back to help pull crap out from under the plate. We also include an indexing pawl with each plate; and if the new station tabs we are testing out work, we will include a set of those with each #3 and #5 plate, as well as supply a set to people who have already purchases a plate from us.

👍

19 hours ago, Cuz said:

I bought the 9mm and 223 plates.

They are ok, but nothing that made me say "Wow!  That was money well spent."

3 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

I bought the 9mm and 223 plates.

They are ok, but nothing that made me say "Wow!  That was money well spent."

I think you could say that about many of the aftermarket upgrade options.

If you have a true need where the factory piece is just not doing the job then great.

Otherwise I don't think you're getting much more than you already have.

And then they may have their own issues as well.

• 2 weeks later...