Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO pistols in 3-gun?

I'm a part of that aging demographic that my eyes don't play well with pistol iron tights. Ive been shooting USPSA CO for multiple years now and have transitioned nearly all my pistols to red dots. I do drills at my local club with AR and pistol transitions, steel stages etc etc. Recently added a Mossberg 930 SPX to the play list which now has me thinking about 3-gun. After doing some research, looks like I don't get to play unless I go Open Division as my CZ S2 is CO. Been looking for most recent rules and haven't seen anything that allows red dot on pistol plus optics on AR. Most of the videos and info I'm finding date back several years but look like 3-guns is still anti CO, no optics other than on the AR. Is this till correct?

This is why I was wondering. Standard CO is slide mounted optic. Based on everything I'm seeing I already have everything needed to step into 3-gun except the SRO on my S2. Long way away from open for everything. End of season here since in the warm and balmy Great North but thinking about next year and drills to work on in the mean time.

When I jumped to CO I was one of the first and had to spend $$$ to get a Shadow 2 customized to meet all the requirements for CO. Couple years later all the rules changed and no big deal, lots of people packing CZ S2 CO guns. Love that gun, wuold love to run it in 3-gun.

Modified is gonna be big in the future. It's basically Open Lite. Slide mounted pistol dot, fully loaded shotgun tubes and bipods on rifles. I see you're in MN @DIYguy, the Forest Lake guys are all about Modified division. That said, if you're just getting started in 3 gun prepared to get your balls kicked in no matter how well your current guns fit into an existing division.

Did a lot of clicking around and found the MN 3Gun Group. Found the section for Match Rules updated March 21, 2022 which included the Modified Optics Division. Good news, should fit right in. I did not see mention in those rules regarding the max dimensions for pistol. Saw another set of rules during the travels that had maximum length of 9", max height 7" (round numbers) These rules stated could have optic mounted or extended mag but not both. Based on my checking my Shadow2 CO it was close to 7-1/2" H with my TTI mag.

Also found two clubs around 40 miles away in Forest Lake and St Cloud that are hosting 3Gun matches. My local club does USPSA but not 3Gun.

17 hours ago, DIYguy said:

Hey Tony, middle of nowhere, N central IL.  Probably been there and started a bit south of ya. Peoria.

Glad you escaped!

One of the best and simultaneously worst things about 3 gun is the lack of a comprehensive and universal ruleset. You're unlikely to find any rules regarding the size of the pistol and even less likely to find anyone who knows and enforces those rules even if they existed. 

So basically do what you want within the very minimal/vague rules and you'll be fine.

We're a long way from MN and IL, but we have a rule set that has been around for a while, which allows a CO type handgun in our Stealth Division.  I mention this because of the previous question regarding box dimensions.  The dimensions and test criteria for the box can be found in the ruleset (if you are interested) that is included on our website: riomultigun.com.  We were seeking a reasonable trade-off between optics versus iron sights on the handgun, and magazine capacity.  

Our club shoots UML rules and the optics division allows 2 optics.  If you use one on the pistol or shotgun it has to be non magnified and the rifle can be magnified.  If you run it on the pistol it must be slide mounted.  This would be the division for you if anyone around you runs by these rules.  You can go to ussleagues.com to check out the rules.

CO is growing in 3 gun. Some majors (in Southeast) there will be a CO division. Don't be afraid to play in open, if you can load the shotgun and shoot long range you will be fine and have a great time. As far as rule set, yes is the answer!

On 9/23/2022 at 10:46 AM, DIYguy said:

Did a lot of clicking around and found the MN 3Gun Group. Found the section for Match Rules updated March 21, 2022 which included the Modified Optics Division. Good news, should fit right in. I did not see mention in those rules regarding the max dimensions for pistol. Saw another set of rules during the travels that had maximum length of 9", max height 7" (round numbers) These rules stated could have optic mounted or extended mag but not both. Based on my checking my Shadow2 CO it was close to 7-1/2" H with my TTI mag.

Also found two clubs around 40 miles away in Forest Lake and St Cloud that are hosting 3Gun matches. My local club does USPSA but not 3Gun.

There is a MN3GG match this Saturday at SCAPSA. If you are around come shoot it or check it out. Everyone will be willing to talk gear with you if you have questions for next season. I wouldn't worry about your gear for this match too much either, just bring what you have and people will be willing to loan you any stuff you are missing.

Hey travail, I did see that and put it in my calendar to seriously consider making the drive. Thank you for the heads up. Thinks it about 45 to 50 mile's from me as I'm SE of St Paul. At this time I would be observing and collecting information but that's what I do. I attended a couple PRS matches with a buddy for the same reasons and had my gear together before my first match.  Have a PRS match up in Harris MN next week at Gopher.

Any chance you are planing on the SCAPSA match?

Kept trying to access info regarding what time the match started and all the links either were 404 not found or went to the Google page to sign up/log in to access calendar info. I don't do Google. I did finally find some description on the MN3Gun page that looks like match starts at 10:00 after registration, set up, brief etc.

20 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

SMM3G has allowed CO-type handguns in Stealth Division since 2015. I'm not sure why everybody is thinking this is some exciting or controversial new concept.

Magazine capacity is limited by the box for Stealth. I'm guessing the desire is the use of 141 length mags.

45 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Magazine capacity is limited by the box for Stealth. I'm guessing the desire is the use of 141 length mags.

True. Stealth pistols are also not subject to other limitations USPSA CO imposes; folks can run a single-action gun, comps/porting etc. Still, a lot of folks just use their regular CO pistol without the 140mm basepad and it does not seem to hold them back much.