Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Closed Emitter Red Dot

cbrussell

Who are the manufacturers which make a 6 moa  enclosed emitter red dot pistol sight? Any personal experiences? I really like the looks of the Aimpoint ACRO 2, however, it is a 3.5 moa dot and Aimpoint replied to my email that they had no current plans to offer a 6 moa dot. 

I read where the optimum size dot for action shooting was 6 moa. What I really need to do is get a hold of the Aimpoint ACRO P-2 ams see for myself. However, if there was an alternative enclosed 6 moa, I would be inclined to go with that. Perhaps if I wait a bit longer, not my strong suit, there will be more enclosed emitter red dot choices.😀

10 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

I read where the optimum size dot for action shooting was 6 moa. What I really need to do is get a hold of the Aimpoint ACRO P-2 ams see for myself. However, if there was an alternative enclosed 6 moa, I would be inclined to go with that. Perhaps if I wait a bit longer, not my strong suit, there will be more enclosed emitter red dot choices.😀

I sold my 1 moa SRO for a 5 moa SRO to be honest I can varely tell a difference. I also have some 2.5 and 3 Moa and I really don’t see a huge difference if any at all. I’m just a scrub though maybe at a higher level the shooter will notice it more. 

Even when it was pretty much just Open guns with C-mores, people shot 6-min, 8-min and 10-min dots.

I find with slide-mount dots and Minor scoring I prefer a slightly smaller dot size than I do on an Open gun.

14 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Who are the manufacturers which make a 6 moa  enclosed emitter red dot pistol sight? Any personal experiences? I really like the looks of the Aimpoint ACRO 2, however, it is a 3.5 moa dot and Aimpoint replied to my email that they had no current plans to offer a 6 moa dot. 

Why an enclosed emitter?

The lenses of an enclosed emitter sight are just as affected by water, external condensation, dust, dirt, lint, and whatever as those of an open emitter sight.

The emitter in an open emitter sight is far less susceptible to being blocked than the internet would have you believe, unless you're typically rolling around in mud or snow.

For a closed emitter red dot consider the Holosun 509T.  It has a closed emitter with a 2moa dot surrounded by a 32moa circle.  The circle is very fast for your eye to pick up  and the dot allows very precise aiming.   The circle acts a bit like a "peep" sight and your eye pretty much automatically centers the target inside it.  

On 8/28/2022 at 8:57 PM, cbrussell said:

I too am just a scrub. ,amber I am making too many much out of the dot size.

I think it’s one of those things we tend to over think. Sometimes I put way to much time and brain power over trying to find the Goldilocks gun or accessory when I should be dry firing or researching how to make make grip better. 

think of it this way. I love gear and tinkering with guns and certainly at least half the fun of the sport for me. But will having a close emitter acro get you to GM faster than an SRO? Nah probably not. There’s that guy Tony something who made GM super quick with a Glock 26 while I’m over here with a 2k gun rig sitting as a high B low A shooter forever because I have hardly anytime to shoot. 

5 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

I think it’s one of those things we tend to over think. Sometimes I put way to much time and brain power over trying to find the Goldilocks gun or accessory when I should be dry firing or researching how to make make grip better. 

think of it this way. I love gear and tinkering with guns and certainly at least half the fun of the sport for me. But will having a close emitter acro get you to GM faster than an SRO? Nah probably not. There’s that guy Tony something who made GM super quick with a Glock 26 while I’m over here with a 2k gun rig sitting as a high B low A shooter forever because I have hardly anytime to shoot. 

Good point.

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

Just feel it would be less susceptible to debris and protect the emitter. 

For USPSA & SCSA it really isn't an issue.  And for carry there seem to be lots of cops carrying open emitters as well as the military.  

1 hour ago, cbrussell said:

Just feel it would be less susceptible to debris and protect the emitter. 

Isn't it obvious that the lenses on a closed emitter sight are just as easily obscured by anything that would block the lens of an open emitter sight?

The emitter (at least in Trijicon SROs and RMR) is behind a glass cover so anything that gets on that can be wiped off with a swipe of the finger.

In any case, water all over an open emitter RDS is a non issue.  I've shot in the rain several times with mine, once in a downpour, and had zero issues.

Watch this

5 hours ago, cbrussell said:

That seems like the ticket. Any real world experiences with reliability? On a par with the Aimpoint ACRO P-2?

Sorry, no. I had just read your post yesterday and gotten a email from Brownells today. Just thought I’d mention it. 

16 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Isn't it obvious that the lenses on a closed emitter sight are just as easily obscured by anything that would block the lens of an open emitter sight?

The emitter (at least in Trijicon SROs and RMR) is behind a glass cover so anything that gets on that can be wiped off with a swipe of the finger.

In any case, water all over an open emitter RDS is a non issue.  I've shot in the rain several times with mine, once in a downpour, and had zero issues.

Watch this

Excellent demonstration. I think I will shift away from my desire for a closed emitter. Now I need to concentrate on the dot itself; which is most pronounced/round and trouble free? Any thoughts?

The Trijicons are tough as nails.  I use a 5 MOA SRO and it has run for months with not a problem.  Though a larger window would be nice.

I've had a Holosun on my carry gun for 2+ years also no problem but I don't like the dot/circle for USPSA.

5 hours ago, GigG said:

The Trijicons are tough as nails.  I use a 5 MOA SRO and it has run for months with not a problem.  Though a larger window would be nice.

I've had a Holosun on my carry gun for 2+ years also no problem but I don't like the dot/circle for USPSA.

Trijicon is my choice as well both for sport and for defensive use.  I can't agree on needing a larger opening on the SRO.  It's more than enough if one's index is close to right.

2 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

Trijicon is my choice as well both for sport and for defensive use.  I can't agree on needing a larger opening on the SRO.  It's more than enough if one's index is close to right.

It's not on the original draw that I ever have an issue It is when trying to shoot on the move that I think a larger window might come in handy.