Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magnum Primers mishap!!

Chapo

So last month I made a mistake when reloading 9mm major for steel challenge. I usually use small rifle primers but used small rifle magnum primers by mistake and ended up having tons of light strikes during the match to the point I had to withdraw. Not sure if this has ever happened to any of you, but I capture the whole situation and wanted to share with you…

reloading 9mm major for steel challenge.

Why ?  Major for SC is like using an 18 wheeler to bring home a gallon of milk from the store.

And we've been through this over and over - rifle primer in pistol loads is not a good idea.  It will work, but not a good idea.

18 minutes ago, Chapo said:

It’s because it’s the only pistol I have and I use it mostly for USPSA. Thanks

I understand the gun part but it sounds like you are using major PF ammo to shoot SC. That is overkill and counter productive.

Those CCI 450 primers have a problem they failed to fire in a Thompson Center Encore and Ruger Ranch rifle in 300 Blackout.  I use CCI 400's all the time without any problems and the primer cup is the same.  

Don't know if everyone knows how an Encore works but you use any center fire cartridge barrel.  Switch from 300 Blackout to 308 winchester in about 10 minutes because the rifle will fire Large or Small Rifle.

But it would not fire all those CCI 450's.

For me, using rifle primers in pistol loads completely depends on the gun I'm shooting.

My PCC and my SS guns both light off Winchester small rifle primers 100%, no issues.

My Glocks don't, UNLESS I switch out the striker spring for one about a half-pound heavier than stock.  Without that spring, my G34/G34 CO gun is about 90%, and my G17 is about 85% in their ability to light off the primers.  (And I don't like switching out the striker spring, so I did it once to test it, then took it back out and pack it with the rest of my extra parts, just in case.  So I don't use SRP with my Glocks.)

I have a ton of small rifle primers, and some small pistol primers.  I make both, and carefully mark them so I know which box of ammo to pick depending on what gun I am using.  :)

I learned the same lesson as you but only after loading 700 rounds of it. Luckily I found out at a practice session and not a match that the magnums wouldn’t run in any of my guns. 

I can still use SRPs with 100% ignition SRMs are a NO GO. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:49 PM, warpspeed said:

Why ?  Major for SC is like using an 18 wheeler to bring home a gallon of milk from the store.

And we've been through this over and over - rifle primer in pistol loads is not a good idea.  It will work, but not a good idea.

i understand the SC argument against major, but i've both used and read a lot of SRP in 9major. forgive me for asking, but why is it not a good idea?

58 minutes ago, DavidSeavey said:

i understand the SC argument against major, but i've both used and read a lot of SRP in 9major. forgive me for asking, but why is it not a good idea?

It’s just an opinion. Just about all I use for 9MAJOR