Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

H335 making huge mess with dillon xl750

Can someone please guide me to a solution... Im about to call dillon and send this $1300 headache back.

My 550c was fine.... sold it for this and every damn powder charge drops some amount of powder down, and it doesnt take long before its all over the ram, getting gummed up with the oil thats on it, and then my press isnt indexing... so taking it apart, cleaning it all and re lubing every 50 rounds is about to make me throw it out the window.

Is there a fix??? Im using the dillon powder measure, all dillon parts... press runs like crap.

This is the craziest crap that Ive ever heard.... Ive got $1300+ in this machine, case feeder, dies... change kits.. and I need to gut it, polish crap, flick cases, pause 3 seconds when the case inserts the powder measure lol... Ill just give Scheels a call tomorrow and send this POS back.

The point of dropping this cash, was to speed up loading, not to have a hunk of metal that I have to refine and sell all my powder and wait years to find a powder in stock that works with this picky ass machine.

Too bad. It’s a great machine. It’s just a little more complex than the 550 and takes getting used to.

I’m still confused though. If you were loading the same loads on a 550 with no problem, seems like you should be able to figure out the problem on the 750. Same basic setup except for auto indexing.

Sounds like the powder funnel isn’t fitting the case mouth properly. Wrong one possibly? Just because you spent a buttload of money is no guarantee it’ll work out of the box. I’ve seen 1/4 million $ machines fail miserably. 

Edited by Farmer

As others have said, if it worked on the 550 I dont see why it would be an issue on the 750. I might add also, these progressive machines aren't magic. They require some careful tuning to get running 100%. I had a buddy who recently switched to progressive loading for the first time and was extremely frustrated with his machine saying the same things you are in regards to money spent. I took a look at his press and it just needed some tuning/ calibration- it may not be realistic to expect it will work 100% out of the box..

Speak to a Dillon tech as another said here, they will set you up right. Good luck with your machine I hope this is a small speed bump on the road to having a great running press. Keep us posted 

I did speak with dillon and was instructed to polish the powder tube funnel that comes with the conversion kit, and try another powder.

The powder thing isnt even a possibility. Maybe you guys are right on taking more time to try and make it work correctly but Im just not that patient I suppose.

I think what Ill do is probably just send this back and go back to the 550c. Its slower, but comes with less problems also. I LOVED the 550, a lot.. and then having issues from the get go with this 750 just kind of broke my spirits towards the machine...

From my research and talking to others, doesnt seem theres really any progressives out there that work as well as the dillons do, so thats why Ill most likely just order another 550c. I lost very little money selling it compared to what I paid a few years ago.

Is your process the same as it was on the 550 with the only difference being the newer machine?

Same dies, same powder, etc. ?

You should be able to duplicate your 550 process on a 750 with the only difference being the auto indexing.

That would be the first step I would take.

The same powder measure is used on both machines. If you can set it up to work on a 550 you can set it up to work on a 750.

I know that if you get off on the wrong foot sometimes it is difficult to get back on track.

I had a bumpy ride going from a 650 to an 1100 but it turned out to be a defective part. In the end I am happy I upgraded.

Hang in there, I bet it will come around.

hmmmm....
You can use other powder measures.  and dies...

lee has that lovely auto drum.

I am trying to sort out how your powder is escaping.

I hate the die/powder funnel for 223 ( one die for most rifle cases)
because it has a big hole and the case is rarely centered.
so some times the powder would slough off to a side.

Your problem does sound worse.

I have a mini lathe and I like machining...
so I made a collar that floats in the die
that rides on the case shoulder and
holds the case to center.

I suspect I  modified a lee die because I also
 had the auto drum on the press.

I have no notes I can find for dimensions
so it was not complicated machining.
I recall it had to be thicker to avoid
tilting and causing a jam.

after that mod, I knew I was not giving the powder time to fall

when I saw powder floating down.

miranda

On 8/21/2022 at 8:15 AM, JMCCRACKEN1214 said:

Can someone please guide me to a solution... Im about to call dillon and send this $1300 headache back.

My 550c was fine.... sold it for this and every damn powder charge drops some amount of powder down, and it doesnt take long before its all over the ram, getting gummed up with the oil thats on it, and then my press isnt indexing... so taking it apart, cleaning it all and re lubing every 50 rounds is about to make me throw it out the window.

Is there a fix??? Im using the dillon powder measure, all dillon parts... press runs like crap.

Make sure they installed the large powder bar, not the small. 

I appreciate all the pointers, I talked to scheels today and am sending the 750 back and buying another 550C. I know the 750 was super fast for sizing, but I’ll just put my sizing die in 3 on the 550 and load from there to size/deprime my bulk brass. That way I can load in from the left and pull with my right hand. 
I need an annealing machine too and sending the 750 back will free up enough cash to snag an annealeez.

if I start shooting more in the future, I’ll get the 750 another go.

Interesting.  I use a 750 and H335 to load 223/5.56 rounds without issue.  I am not sure what is different with your setup.  Are you loading 223 or something else?  How full are you filling your cases?  Is it coming out when the shell plate indexes to the next station, or when you lower the case out of the powder drop station?

One thing I did was treat all the powder drop parts with anti-static treatment.  You can just rub a dryer sheet on stuff.  I couldn't say if that helped or not.

Mike

31 minutes ago, JMCCRACKEN1214 said:

I need an annealing machine too and sending the 750 back will free up enough cash to snag an annealeez.

Okay, I understand now you are loading rifle rounds. 

The powder drop is your issue and as others have pointed out the 750 and 550 use the same funnels and measures, so the issue is in alignment or some sort of funnel problem. I hope your new 550 doesn't have the same issues.

The annealeez is a great product, I would probably doe the same, swap to get one.

5 hours ago, B767capt said:

I just got a new 750 coming from a 650 and I put a mark 7 autodrive on it so it was easy to transition to.  One thing I just found and ordered is this high flow 223 funnel from Double Alpha.  I haven't tried it yet but I would think this would solve your issue.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/daa-fast-flow-powder-funnel

that looks like a nice funnel.   thanks for the heads up.

miranda

On 8/22/2022 at 12:35 PM, HesedTech said:

Okay, I understand now you are loading rifle rounds. 

The powder drop is your issue and as others have pointed out the 750 and 550 use the same funnels and measures, so the issue is in alignment or some sort of funnel problem. I hope your new 550 doesn't have the same issues.

The annealeez is a great product, I would probably doe the same, swap to get one.

My 550c came today and just got it set up and while doing the 556 kit first, I noticed the funnel for the powder drop was different than the one I had in the 750.... It caught my eye instantly.. thought hmmmmmmmm.... Got the 550 up and running and not a dang drop of powder spilling!

Im kicking myself because I got that 223 conversion kit for my 750, second hand and trusted the person.. guess he got the parts mixed up because he had A LOT of kits for sale. (getting out of reloading)

Lessons learned for sure... and though the 750 was a beast when it comes to speed, I do love the 550c and Im pretty sure after all this, I wont part ways with the 550C again, and just keep it and get a 750 next year if my shooting increases.

Thanks again for all the replies and help... I let my temper get the best of me on this one, but in the end, Im glad to have the 550C and a little money left over compared to the 750 and case feeder.

2 hours ago, JMCCRACKEN1214 said:

My 550c came today and just got it set up and while doing the 556 kit first, I noticed the funnel for the powder drop was different than the one I had in the 750.... It caught my eye instantly.. thought hmmmmmmmm.... Got the 550 up and running and not a dang drop of powder spilling!

Im kicking myself because I got that 223 conversion kit for my 750, second hand and trusted the person.. guess he got the parts mixed up because he had A LOT of kits for sale. (getting out of reloading)

Lessons learned for sure... and though the 750 was a beast when it comes to speed, I do love the 550c and Im pretty sure after all this, I wont part ways with the 550C again, and just keep it and get a 750 next year if my shooting increases.

Thanks again for all the replies and help... I let my temper get the best of me on this one, but in the end, Im glad to have the 550C and a little money left over compared to the 750 and case feeder.

So the 750 was new from Dillon but the powder measure you had problems with had second hand parts installed?

2 minutes ago, ddc said:

So the 750 was new from Dillon but the powder measure you had problems with had second hand parts installed?

Sounds like he bought a conversion kit second hand