Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Slide

9x45

As a bit of trivia ...

If the serial number prefix on your replacement slide is on character before the digits, it was made as a replacement slide and not part of a gun. If it has two or three letters before the digits, it was originally part of another gun. Ditto for frames and barrels.

I had a G-17 do that. I gave it to Chris Edwards at the IDPA Nationals. 2 weeks later I got a new slide in the mail. :)

i busted the slide on an old 17L i still shoot......The cause was machine gun ammo i loaded for a buddy's uzi which was too hot for any pistol....but it still took a couple of 50 cal ammo cans of it to cause the damage.......Glock replaced the slide....D I C K

9X45,

I bet they'll replace it. Which model/caliber was it, just curious as well.

Rob,

When you said "on character", what did you mean? I got the part about if there are 2-3 letters before the digits, but what about characters?

Also, I was always wondering if there is any difference in the G17 and G18 slides, since one is full auto and the other is not. Is the 18 beefed up at all? Also, Im assuming Glock only makes the G18 full auto in 9mm and not 40 because of the pressures and it would probably damage the gun quicker? Sorry for thread drift.

Thanks,

When you said "on character"

I meant "a character", as in A-Z. Replacement frame/slide/barrels are of the form A### or A####, whereas originals are AA### or AAA### where A is any character A-Z and # is 0-9. The frames in the US market all have the prefix US in the serial number, but this is not on the slide or barrel number.

He meant if there is a "1" before the serial number, it's been replaced by Glock. So if your gun's serial number was AAA999 and you send in a cracked slide, your replacement will have the serial number 1AAA999.

Glock used to make replacements with same # available (sure sure if they added a digit), but the last I heard, that service was discontinued.

"Stock" replacements have the single letter character convention, and do not match the numeric portion of the number.

The G18 Slide is not beefed up. In fact it's pretty extensively lightened. At the front and rear.

Different than the 17 slide? or more lightened?

You still shooting your 17 over the 34? I am, actually, Ive really gotten attached to my 17. Just points and handles/feels better in my opinion.

Thanks,

The frames in the US market all have the prefix US in the serial number, but this is not on the slide or barrel number.

Actually frames for the US market originally carried a US as a suffix, not prefix. That practice is no longer in use.

The frames in the US market all have the prefix US in the serial number, but this is not on the slide or barrel number.

Actually frames for the US market originally carried a US as a suffix, not prefix. That practice is no longer in use.

I just received one with the prefix "HPF" with 3 numbers following.

9x45,

Contact Glock at 770.432.1202 and make arrangements to send the gun back. They will replace the slide at no charge. I cracked my G17 at about 55K and they took care of me very quickly.

Wayne Dobbs

I wonder if Glock would replace my slide for my G17L, although it has been cut on for a Shuman (sp?) Hybrid comp and a DR. sight (melted in)? All of these were done prior to me purchasing the gun. I might need to call Mr. Edwards and see if he can pull a string or two!

GlockSpeed31