Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet tumbling - Too much lemishine

lroy

Tumbled with too much Lemishine. Brass is now darker with a purple reflection. I figured another tumble with soap would fix it, then read its possible I leeched the zinc out, making the cases weaker.

I shoot 9 major so this would be bad.

Can anyone she'd some light on this?

I made the same mistake once and mine came out a pinkish purple color.  After reading the same info you did, I didn't think it was worth the risk to try them.  In my case they were 38 supercomp. 

I had some 270 Win do that, still shooting them and with allot more psi than 9mm & 38sc. I suppose they could  probably split sooner than they would have before but who knows. 

Edited by Farmer

You should be ok. I would load up maybe 10, take them to the range, shoot controlled (not competition), and inspect the cases after. I’ve over tumbled brass and shot major out of them with no problems. I think the worry is if they were sitting in the lemishine for over a day. Then deterioration may happen. 

Too much Lemishine will react negatively with the zinc alloy in the brass casing. It causes a chemical detrimental reaction with the zinc in the brass. You will literally weaken the strength of your brass casings if you use too much of that product. The "pink" color you see on the brass is a teltale sign of chemical damage to your casings. I use one teaspoon of that product per one gallon of distilled water. I wouldn't use more than that.

Edited by Trump

The pink hue comes from the copper in the brass when the zinc is removed by chemical attack of an acidic product (lemishine, I guess is citric acid). Cartridge brass is a mix of 70% Copper and 30% Zinc.