Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot bounce issue

xjwalt666

I'm not really sure if this should go here or reloading but considering it's a semi-open gun I'd try here. 

I have a 2011 that has a 6" scheumann tribrid barrel in 9mm, Cheely steel grip, and frame mounted dot. When I bought the gun it was a 38sc gun that I put a new tribrid barrel in chambered in 9. I'm getting a lot of muzzle dive when the slide returns to battery. I run a 124gr with 4.8gr of N320. I've also noticed that the brass only goes about 4" from the gun when ejecting. I'm not positive what weight recoil spring was in it when it was 38sc, and I did not change it. My initial thought is the spring is too heavy. I want to swap it out but not knowing what weight it is now I don't really know what to go with and I don't have a spring gage. Anyone have any suggestions where to start? 

Thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

That recipe is for minor. You need 6 or 7 pound recoil spring. No, it's not going to batter the frame lol

Right, I only use this gun for falling steel. I picked it up for my son and noticed that his double taps where hitting way low on the second shot. I tried it and replicated the problem he was having and fired into a berm with a tight grip to see if maybe he was limp wristing a bit and had the same result. I just started using this load, I was using silhouette with pretty good results but I ran out. I'll grab one of each weight and see what works best for it. 

x, buy an assortment of springs.  They are cheap.  Normally, you tune your gun to your load by varying the recoil spring, the mainspring and the radius on the firing pin stop.

Just swap recoil springs to start out.  Grip the gun and fire a shot at the target.  Did the sights settle high or low.  If high you need a heavier spring.  If low, lighter.  You can also try variable rate springs.  They have a different feel.

BTW, your load is fairly hot.  So you may need an 8 or 9 lb.  It really depends on the gun.

14 hours ago, zzt said:

x, buy an assortment of springs.  They are cheap.  Normally, you tune your gun to your load by varying the recoil spring, the mainspring and the radius on the firing pin stop.

Just swap recoil springs to start out.  Grip the gun and fire a shot at the target.  Did the sights settle high or low.  If high you need a heavier spring.  If low, lighter.  You can also try variable rate springs.  They have a different feel.

BTW, your load is fairly hot.  So you may need an 8 or 9 lb.  It really depends on the gun.

Thats the plan. I'm going to order 6,7,8,9# standard and variable springs and start testing. The load is .1 from max on VV's chart. I know I might be better off with a slower powder with the Tribrid barrel seeing as it has 6 popple holes. I may try another powder. I have Autocomp, HS6, No. 7, And 3N38 on hand to choose from. but I figure regardless of what powder I settle on it will still need a spring change. Thanks for the advice on which way to go with weight depending on how the dot settles.  

A 6 is probably going to be too weak to run reliably with full mags, but a 7 is probably where you want to be.  I shot a lot of that load in a 38Sc open gun way back in the day for steel challenge and it's a bit bouncy, but shouldn't be dipping like crazy.

9 hours ago, xjwalt666 said:

I may try another powder. I have Autocomp, HS6, No. 7, And 3N38 on hand to choose from.

Nice.  I think your best bet is to use 3N38.  6.8~7.0gr under a 124 should be fairly soft and flat.  I use 6.8 under a 124 plated or JHP in my Open gun for minor.  6V spring.  Only 10 in a mag at this club, so the 6V is not a problem.  Comp has four ports; 3 up two side.  There are also 4 small bleed holes in the sides.  Three 5/32" poppels.  Much softer and flatter than Blazer 9mm 115 @ 1145fps.  You don't have any baffles, so yours will not be as soft, but it should be dead flat or almost so.

On 7/30/2022 at 7:05 PM, zzt said:

Nice.  I think your best bet is to use 3N38.  6.8~7.0gr under a 124 should be fairly soft and flat.  I use 6.8 under a 124 plated or JHP in my Open gun for minor.  6V spring.  Only 10 in a mag at this club, so the 6V is not a problem.  Comp has four ports; 3 up two side.  There are also 4 small bleed holes in the sides.  Three 5/32" poppels.  Much softer and flatter than Blazer 9mm 115 @ 1145fps.  You don't have any baffles, so yours will not be as soft, but it should be dead flat or almost so.

Thanks for the info. I'll give the 3N38 a try and see how it works out. I ordered up a variety of springs so as soon as they come in I'll start some testing.