S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to use it for production you had better cancel the shark treatment for it. You will put yourself right out of production that way.

+1 there buddy!!

The Shark Skin treatment is great, but is a No-No in Production Division!!

Please don't get me started on this again :angry2: :angry2:

But the M&P is a great choice for PD.

Y

Xfactor- When did you send your gun out to Burwell? Have you gotten it back or gotten any responses from him? I sent 2 guns out to him almost a month ago and have been very dissatisfied with the level of service. I was given several completion dates that have all come and gone. I get no communication when I send emails and/or leave phone messages. I understand he is prob. busy and I said if it is something that will take a while just let me know but he said he would get them right out. I'm hoping these guns return quickly and without any other issues. I'm sure they will be totally different when they come back but I just wish there was better communication along the way.

If you want to use it for production you had better cancel the shark treatment for it. You will put yourself right out of production that way.

+1 there buddy!!

Y

Sorry, but I am new to Production. So, I have to ask. Why is the "Shark Skin" not legal for Production and grip tape is? Are they considering Shark Skin an external modification? Isn't the whole interchangeable insert an "external mod"? Guess I should have asked before I ordered a couple of Shark Skin inserts today. Damned! :angry2:

Sorry, but I am new to Production. So, I have to ask. Why is the "Shark Skin" not legal for Production and grip tape is? Are they considering Shark Skin an external modification?

Right you are Brother!!

Milling the Crap out of your Slide to melt Bomars is not, but Shark Skin is!!!

Go Figure :blink: :blink:

Isn't the whole interchangeable insert an "external mod"? Guess I should have asked before I ordered a couple of Shark Skin inserts today. Damned! :angry2:

I feel just like you Jack, It's freaking ridiculous.

But what do we know, right :unsure: :unsure:

Xfactor- When did you send your gun out to Burwell? Have you gotten it back or gotten any responses from him? I sent 2 guns out to him almost a month ago and have been very dissatisfied with the level of service. I was given several completion dates that have all come and gone. I get no communication when I send emails and/or leave phone messages. I understand he is prob. busy and I said if it is something that will take a while just let me know but he said he would get them right out. I'm hoping these guns return quickly and without any other issues. I'm sure they will be totally different when they come back but I just wish there was better communication along the way.

Dan must be swamped, he usually gets stuff done right away, within one week, and he always responds quickly too. I wonder if everything is OK in PA :unsure: :unsure:

+1 there buddy!!

:surprise::surprise:

Yikes! I better call him ASAP to cancel it... I just sent it to him Monday morning, so hopefully he hasn't done it yet. Can I assume that the "bobtailed" beavertail would cause the same problem?

I agree that this is total crap, byt the way... :blink:

:surprise::surprise:

Yikes! I better call him ASAP to cancel it... I just sent it to him Monday morning, so hopefully he hasn't done it yet. Can I assume that the "bobtailed" beavertail would cause the same problem?

I agree that this is total crap, byt the way... :blink:

Yes, the Bobtail is not Legal either!!

Call Dan ASAP!!

Y

I've moved a few posts out of this thread and into their own topic.

If you all have specific questions, it is probably a good idea to start a seperate thread. As long as this thread is, all the good information will end up getting lost in the mix.

Here is a thread for magazine extensions and base pads: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=49873

- Admin.

Call Dan ASAP!!

Left him a voice mail, and sent him an e-mail today... I hope it's not too late! :unsure:

Talked to Dan today... no worries - he recalled that we had spoken about the gun being for USPSA and held off on doing the grip/beavertail work knowing it would be a problem for me. This is my first time dealing with him, but he really does seem like a great guy.

He said it would be done Monday, so hopefully I'll see it Tuesday. : )

Glad I caught this thread in time, as I was about to take the plunge and have my index points and trigger modded. I shot it again today, another 150 rounds, and I like this thing more and more...my FNP9 was getting target envy, I am sure. The slightly gritty 6lb. trigger needs a bit of work, but other than that, it ran like a champ. I thought it had smoothed out until I fully cleaned it, then shot it again...the grittiness came back. Maybe it likes a bit of dirt? Or maybe it reallllly wants Dan Burwell's trigger job. ;)

Hard to believe I picked this up new with 2 mags for $479, and another 2 free 15rd. mags are enroute from S&W.

I like it a little more every day...nice job S&W! :P

Edited by Lighteye67

Call Dan ASAP!!

Left him a voice mail, and sent him an e-mail today... I hope it's not too late! :unsure:

Talked to Dan today... no worries - he recalled that we had spoken about the gun being for USPSA and held off on doing the grip/beavertail work knowing it would be a problem for me. This is my first time dealing with him, but he really does seem like a great guy.

He said it would be done Monday, so hopefully I'll see it Tuesday. : )

Got my pistol back on Tuesday, as promised. Trigger job done (breaks nicely at about 3.5#), Speed Shooter Specialties F/O front sight installed, mag safety removed - everything looks great!

FWIW, I also asked him to take a look at the extractor, as I was getting an occasional FTE. What he found in there was a little scary: apparently the extractor pin was "smashed" into place on the assembly line, and as a result, it was deformed and poorly seated. He removed it and replaced it with a roll pin (the one S&W uses on the M&P 45s) and also adjusted the extractor angle a couple degrees off 90 for better reliability. Hopefully that'll do it!

I had a problem with my new M&P with extractions as well. The brass was coming directly back at my face.(NOT GOOD). I had my department pistolsmith adjust the extractor just a tad and no more problem. And for those of you who do not replace your front sight look out for the front sight to drift. Our department had numerous problems with this.

And for those of you who do not replace your front sight look out for the front sight to drift. Our department had numerous problems with this.

With all of the issues listed in this topic as well as other topics across the internet, it appears that with high expectations of S&W being able to manufactuer a quality clone of the Glock, the M&P is slowly becoming the Sigma of the 2000's.

And for those of you who do not replace your front sight look out for the front sight to drift. Our department had numerous problems with this.

With all of the issues listed in this topic as well as other topics across the internet, it appears that with high expectations of S&W being able to manufactuer a quality clone of the Glock, the M&P is slowly becoming the Sigma of the 2000's.

I shot the M&P for a few months this winter. It is a fine choice. I prefer the Glock, but then again...I have about a two gazzion rounds through the G-unit. I'd change the sights out on the M&P if I shot it much...just like I would the Glock. And, I'd much prefer a dovetail front sight and the ease of options that the dovetail provides. Of course, it is given that dovetail front sights can have issues. They always have. I believe that the world of big hammers and cool fixes has addressed that over the years. ;)

I shot the M&P for a few months this winter. It is a fine choice. I prefer the Glock, but then again...I have about a two gazzion rounds through the G-unit. I'd change the sights out on the M&P if I shot it much...just like I would the Glock. And, I'd much prefer a dovetail front sight and the ease of options that the dovetail provides. Of course, it is given that dovetail front sights can have issues. They always have. I believe that the world of big hammers and cool fixes has addressed that over the years. ;)

I agree with you 100% Flex, you have shot the G Gun for ten Bizzillion rounds with little or no problems, I have shot countless matches with the M&P, without a single problem without even cleaning it once, the dang thing is "FILTHY" and still runs flawlessly. Finally I decided to clean my mags this week after 4 matches at Rio Salado, this is the first time I lean these mags since I got the gun last September, but Rio is once special place for dirt, Rocks and other issued tht can make a magazine fail, any magazine!!

Y

(Edited to a more pleasing content)

Hey, I don't want to sound antagonistic, but there's a couple of us that actually like the gun and shoot it successfully, I think once is enough to let us know how much you dislike the gun. Let's keep this thread open with a more positive content. Kyle is bringing up a very good point and we should follow the Forum Rules and keep it nice.

Y

Edited by ysued

Man, with all the 1911 problems you see people complain about, that thing must be a really flawed product. Heck, looking at the glock forum leads me to believe they all explode. I think I'll go practice with my bow. Only then, I have to worry about strings snaping and taking out an eye. Maybe I should stay away from all mechanical devices.

Anybody have a range report on the M&P 45? Not the gun I'd use for any USPSA division, but I'd make a good nightstand-car gun.

Let's hear it!

My buddy in MO, Don got one a few days ago, he loves it, he got a Black one with the External Safety.

I've heard some gossip of a 14 Round Magazine for it too.

MMMMMMMM More BB's!!! :cheers: :cheers:

I wonder what gun are they trying to compete with?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Y

Anybody have a range report on the M&P 45? Not the gun I'd use for any USPSA division, but I'd make a good nightstand-car gun.

Let's hear it!

I have one you can play with when you come up (next week?) if you want to.