Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a PCC REALLY worth having

Unfortunately I can't remember the site but the shooter chrono'd like six different self defense loads in some PCC's with barrels varying between 8.5 and 16 inches and the minimum velocity increase was just over 200 fps.

When my Garmin Xero shows up I'm gonna chrono the +P defense loads I keep in my house " 8.5 pistol"....

3 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

Unfortunately I can't remember the site but the shooter chrono'd like six different self defense loads in some PCC's with barrels varying between 8.5 and 16 inches and the minimum velocity increase was just over 200 fps.

When my Garmin Xero shows up I'm gonna chrono the +P defense loads I keep in my house " 8.5 pistol"....

wonder what my "HOLLY HELL !" loads would chrono in a carbine. I call them that becasue thats what the other people in the indoor range said when I lit them off in a 5 " super blackhawk... Was like a flash bang went off, and others peoples paper targets would sway to the sides....
180 gr XTP over IIRC 29 grs of H110.  Ah yeh back when we were young and dumb. 

• 1 month later...

I can say, and sorry if I sound bitter, I wanted a PCC to use for NRA ARC as recovering 5.56 brass in a match is not very fruitful, so 9mm seemed more economical and don't get upset loosing 9mm brass over my LC/IMI 5.56 cases.  To cut to chase, I bought a Spike's ST9G lower, built it out, put a PSA 10" upper had a great balanced gun and shot anything with typical accuracy you could get from a 9mm. But had a feed problem, spent alot of money and lost alot of time in competition trying to correct that.  Then the brace ban was enacted and I did not want to mess with the ATF for a gun that did not feed.  So I spend more money and put a 16" barrel.  Fixed the feed problem but since switching to the 16" barrel I have lost all accuracy.  The 10" barrel, on the 100 yard stage I consistently range the steel 12" target and rarely missed if I did not jam.  Since I put the 16" legal barrel on, there is absolutely no accuracy that I cannot even zero.  I tried different factory ammo, my own reloads and even bought another 16" barrel with no luck. At 25 yards get about a 7" group all over the target, 50 or 100 forget it, I might hit the paper.  With the 10" barrel I could get a 4" group at 100 yards.  I am sorry I got into this thinking I was saving money and brass using a 9mm.  back in 2021 when guns were scarce the only thing I could get in a PCC was to buy a lower and build.  For what I put into this gun since 2021 trying to make it work I could have bought a Sig MPX PCC Competition.  Right now, I have a nonfunctioning useless PCC for the 2024 season.   I am thinking of just making it a safe queen and buying the SW Response.

Is it worth having? Yes. I do shoot local steel challenge type matches with it. But even if I did not shoot matches, I would still shoot it. Running the plate rack is a blast, whether it is from 10 yards or 25 yards.

The PCC is about the only longish gun my wife doesn’t mind shooting. Quiet and small suppressed, very easy to shoot well. It’s also tons of fun. If you’re heavily limited by budget it’s not worth it. If you need something for occasional/new shooter practice and training it’s hard to beat. I use it as an another step up in training new shooters. 22, pcc, rifle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the PCC is a worthwhile tool.  I do shoot PCC both in USPSA and IDPA.  I have a SIG MPX.  All the controls are the same as my AR15.  So, the training repetition was my main reason for getting one.