Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Aftermarket Magazines

Jager1147

Jager,

Scherer have given me the best results of the aftermarket magazine tubes that I have used to repair some of my older magazines the only caveat is that the components will need to be tuned.  

Now having said that unless you live in California where there is a state law prohibiting the sale, bequeathing, loaning etc of any magazine that is capable of holding more than 10 rounds I would suggest you buy original Glock.

(Edited by ryucasta at 2:51 pm on Feb. 16, 2003)

ryucasta is about the only one that I have seen that has had any luck with the Scherer tubes.  I have one that I haven't even messed with after the first time playing with it.  It wasn't worth the effort for me.

Maybe ryucasta will share his "tuning secretes"?

Flex,

The solution is extremely simple the steps are as follows:

1.Remove material from the sides and rear of the Glock pre ban follower with a Dremel or equivalent tool until the follower is able to make it allow the way to the top of the tube with no resistance.  

2.Modify the front lip of the tube by creating a feed ramp with a similar angle as what is found on the 10 round magazines

3.Use Wolff’s +10 springs

I've got two Glock mags and four Scherer tubes. After trimming material (both from the inside of the mag and the Grams follower as ryucasta described), the Scherers have been flawless with a complete Grams setup.

I load 'em up with 20, even on the reloads... no problemo. They even drop-free from my 35 with THE brass magwell... the Glocks don't. I also can only get 19 in the Glocks.

Though the Scherer tubes aren't as hefty, they've had a few thousand rounds through them (at least) and have worked flawlessly except for with some reloads that were too long.

Take your time to "tune" the bodies and they're better than factory Glock mags, IMO... and you can make some money selling your Glock mags. ;)

• 1 month later...

Good information! I had to replace my first generation mag with a Scherer tube, and fortunately, the original follower worked perfectly without modification. I think Scherer used the first generation magazines as template for their tubes :)

You can also use a Scherer follower without modification. The Glock 15 rd tube will hold 20 rds. if you use the old style follower.

Joe, can you expound on this? I'm guessing an extended basepad is needed to be able to fit all 20 of them? Thanks.

I have found that the Scherer followers don’t always work 100% of the time I have had situations where I have had to tune them by removing some material from the sides. Another problem that I have run into with Scherer followers is that I have found no retailer that carries that item by itself. To my knowledge this part is only sold as part of the internal replacement parts kit. An alternative follower that could be used with the 40 S&W Scherer magazine tubes is Glock part # 2183-1.

With regards to 140 mm base pads I have found Arredondo’s to be the best for Scherer and Glock FML tubes and Taylor Freelance for the NFML tubes. If the requirement is for 170 mm nobody even comes close to Taylor Freelances current offering. It’s my honest opinion that all other extended base pads for Glock that are currently in the market are second rate when compared to those two brands.

I have both T. Freelance and Arredondo mag extension pads, and so far, both have held up well in G22 FML mags. The Arrendondo is a plus 5 and easier to load to max capacity, even with some room to spare (important for the second magazine when mag reload time is critical.) The Freelance is only a plus 4 and very tough for me to do a clean mag change (seating the mag when loaded to full 19 rds.)

I have the Taylor Freelance +10 base pads on 5 Glock NFML 17 round 9mm mags and they are flawless. Great product, they worked perfect right out-a-da-box. No problems seating, or loading them.

The only problems show up while trying to do speed reloads. These suckers weigh a heck-of-a-lot when they're full ;~)

Regards,

We have found that using 9mm followers in our 40 cal Scherer tubes are working flawlessly in several competitors model 35's. We had some trouble with tuning the 40 cal followers and gave the 9mm follower a try. Surprise surprise surprise. I would have thought it would not work but we have had several people try it at several matches without a jam. My thanks to Taren for sharing the idea with us. :D

Jim

That is a big surprise Jim!

I have plenty 9 mm followers but never thought about trying them in my (original glock) .40 mags.

There are some .40 mags that give me trouble, maybe it will work .

Adrie

ryucasta,

I don't have the part number with me right now but we used the Hicap 9mm follower. Let me know if it works for you as well as it has worked for us.

A33435,

We have not tried the followers on the stock glock mags please let us know if they work on those as well.

Jim

Jim, i tried the 9 mm follower in my trouble .40 glock mag.

The only thing i learnt was that it was the spring in my .40 mag that particular mag giving the trouble.

(i do use +2 extensions from B-E Johnson in combination with Arredondo extra strength spring)

I will look after the use of 9 mm followers with other mag in the future.

Because i live in europe for me it is more easy to just buy another high cap mag (±$15.00)

rather then to spent effort in trying to solve the problem.

But sometimes it is challeging and fun to solve problems.

DVC

Adrie

I tried the scherer replacemnet tube again today (in 40S&W).

With the advise to try the 9mm follower, I stuck in a +1 9mm follower that I got from Novak Handgunner (just found the +1's after a big search of the house)

I stuck on an arrendondo extension. The 40's easily fit 21. Feed well by hand. No range report yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...